1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV Battery range dropoff

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by J P, May 31, 2021.

Tags:
  1. J P

J P New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a 2012 with about 165K miles on it. I bought it used about 3 years ago and could get a 12 mile charge - no HVAC - on it. I drive 80 miles per day and live in Maine - mild summers and cold winters. I'm now getting about 8 miles per charge with no HVAC. The car still runs well and I'd like to avoid getting another car right now. would it be worth it to have the battery refurbished, or am I just being greedy?

2. LeviSmith

LeviSmith Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well the first question is if you are for sure running the exact same route under the same conditions when comparing the ranges.
    And no, I can't see any way that it would monetarily make sense to refurbish or replace the battery until it's causing a problem. Not sure on your pricing, but if it's 4 miles that's a tenth of a gallon of gas or less right? So worst case maybe 50 cents of gas?(if it's$5/gallon) But it would probably cost you 15 cents of electric... So... An awful lot of days of saving 35 cents(IF that much) to pay for a battery....

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I haven't heard of anyone refurbishing the Lithium battery on PiPs and Primes. Refurbishing on the NiMH ones usually just means you'll have to refurbish again in a few months.

As Levi said, the cost probably would be more than what you'd recoup in gas even if you could get it refurbished. And then there's the question of how much longer the body will hold up in salty road country.

The real question, if it was me in your shoes, would be whether to keep driving it as long as possible or get something newer with more safety stuff while the PiP still has some value.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    i wouldn't call it greedy, just ignorance.

read through some of the range threads here, and you'll soon come to a comfortable understanding of your vehicle.