1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV Battery range reduced

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by 2015pip, Apr 10, 2023.

1. 2015pip

2015pip New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2015 Prius Plugin, with just under 99k. I use the plugin battery frequently (~computer shows 25% usage of all trips) and recently the range of EV has fallen off noticeably from 10.5miles to ~9 miles. Confirmed in both the computer, and because I can't make my normal commute (same as has been for years) all on EV. I have checked the tires, and weather is mild (60-70 degrees, california).

Some questions:
    1. is there a way to test the health of my plugin EV battery to see if it's declining?
    2. in California, battery warranties for hybrids is extended to 10 years/150k miles. Is the plugin's EV battery covered by this same warranty?
    3. Has anyone had success getting the dealer to replace a plugin EV battery under this warranty?

Thanks!

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think dr. prius can give you module readings under load, worth looking into.

yes, same warranty. but it only covers failure, not reduced range. toyota (and most ev manufacturers) specifically addresses this in the manual. you need a trouble code to get warranty.

there have been a few replacements, but again, only due to total failure.

have you owned the car since new? there is some degradation normally, especially in the first few years. mine is down to 14 from 16 originally, and most of it happened in the first few years.

checking for brake drag is a good idea, because a quck fall like yours is very uncommon. the biggest change most people see is the transition from fall to winter and back again.

there is a thread here by @jacktheripper who is in the process of testing a replacement battey he will be marketing that will hopefully double the ev range.