1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV battery recharge question

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by yoyoman, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When I used B mode on my test drive in Ev mode, I didn't notice it spinning up the engine. Now, it's so quite and smooth that it's pretty hard to tell if the engine is spinning or not unless it's spinning at a high RPM, so I could have missed it, and I only tried it for a few seconds.

2. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Beats me. Didn't notice if the HV indicator came on. I don't see why it can't spin the engine with no fuel and not stay in EV.

3. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I played with this a bit more and I will have to try B mode a few more times on my hill. (Actually, I think I need a bigger hill).

I have a ScanGauge that I used in my 2006 and 2012 Priuses (Prii?). I wasn't going to use it in the Prime because it already has too many displays to look at. I plugged it in and the 2012 displays for engine RPM, engine temperature and 12 volt system voltage all worked. Traction battery State of Charge needs a different custom gauge setting.

Then I took the car out and drove around the block a bunch of times. In EV mode, engine RPM stayed at 0 for D mode and B mode. I noticed in the HUD display that coasting in D mode showed a slight amount of regen and B mode showed a lot more regen (and a stronger "engine braking" feel).

In HV mode the engine came on and stayed on even coasting (warmup mode). The ScanGauge showed 1400+ rpm. When coasting in D mode, the HUD showed the same slight regen, engine RPM stayed up (still warming up I assume). In B mode I got the same stronger "engine braking" feel but RPMs were unaffected and the HUD showed that I was getting the same stronger regen that I had gotten in EV mode.

So I conclude that at least if the traction battery is not full, B mode does charge the battery to generate the "engine braking". This applies to EV and HV mode. My hill test that seemed to indicate less regeneration was a one time try and probably in error. The manual describes B mode as doing engine braking and cautions that driving in B will give reduced fuel economy. I don't think that is true, at least for driving around the block with the engine warming up.

When Lee gets his car I am sure the hills in Colorado will allow him to give the definitive answer. For my part, I have never driven in B mode except for playing around with each new car in the first few days or so. Now I need to explain to my neighbors why I was whizzing around the block over and over.

Trollbait likes this.
  4. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That makes a whole bunch of sense. Thanks for the effort!

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    This is likely a case of how you use it; like coasting neutral or gear in a traditional car.
    When approaching a stop, descending a hill, or in stop and go traffic, using B likely won't hurt. Since it sounds like it is D with the brake pedal applied a little.
    Drive around in B all the time, because you think more energy to the battery is always a good thing, and it will probably reduce your fuel economy.

6. WimN

WimN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you read the charge current to the battery on the ScanGauge? If so then you know what the B does with regenerative braking.

7. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You could with the 2012 Prius. Scan Gauge site does not list codes for that feature for the 2016 Prius and they don't have anything at all for the Prime. Since it is missing from 2016 and the 2012 Gen III codes don't work I'll have to wait until someone puts out Prime information (if ever). As it is I would need to return the Scan Gauge for a firmware update to even use the few 2016 codes.

8. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    There are a couple of ways the regenerative speed retardation can work. The system could use one motor/generator (m/g) for regen retardation (coasting in D Mode) or use both (in B Mode ???). Or, there may be a way to increase the excitation on the m/g for more charge output and therefore more speed retardation. I have no idea how the brakes regen. There's a lot I don't yet know about the system in these cars.

I try to avoid the terms "engine braking" unless the car is actually driving the engine for speed retardation. And avoid the term braking for everything except putting a foot on the brake pedal and pushing down.

9. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No - they are permanent magnet motors. Excitation is fixed.

Power electronics completely control the currents to/from these motor/generators.

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Going post a shameless plug for Scangauge.
    When I first plugged my Scangauge into the Sonic, the car had a hissy fit; check engine, ABS, and traction control lights all came on along a little rough riding. Linear Logic gave me a firmware update for free, minus shipping to them, in order to get it working right with the car.

11. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    It will surely reduce, and the manual states this.

12. EV-ish

EV-ish Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Yep

13. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    One thing that's … curious … about B-mode: In the various YouTube videos on the P.Prime, on the MID (multi-information display), sometimes the B appears in the PRND "constellation," but sometimes it's omitted from it. Anybody know when B is an option and when it isn't?

14. SleazyE

SleazyE New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I just went up to Lake Arrowhead Sunday. On the way down the mountain I used B mode the entire way (barely had to brake, it was nice) and by the time I hit the bottom of the mountain I had gained 16 miles of EV. I was quite impressed.

Lee Jay likes this.