1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV button and its effect on the HV battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by dolj, Sep 24, 2016.

1. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I made a comment in another thread about he EV button which subsequently was replied to. The subsequent discussion was taking the thread off-topic, however I found it interesting and worth further discussion.

So I have cut and pasted the relevant posts here so the discussion can continue.

First the original comment and my reply that started it all off:

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While I agree that the Prius does a good job of protecting itself against stupid, in the long term, killing your HV is exactly what will happen. By constantly forcing long full to empty to full (80%-40%-80) duty cycles you will cause the HV battery to fail sooner. There are only a finite number of charge/discharge cycles in the life of a battery.

If you do what you say on an infrequent basis, it is probably no worse than what the car would do anyway, and wasn't point of my post, which was in the second paragraph.

At the end of the day, it is your car, you can do what you want with it. Come back and let us know at what milage you had to replace your HV.

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

BLITZ XW50 and Data Daedalus like this.
  5. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Heat actually kills batteries not the cold. That's why the HV needs to stay cool.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  6. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I thought driving a Hyrbid car often is supposed to extend the battery life rather than having the car sit. I currently have 163,981 mileage on my 09 Prius that's been driven far beyond 15k miles annually from the previous owner that racked the mileage up high very quickly in a short amount of time due to mostly Hwy driving. My HV battery have went through an insanely amount of charge and discharge through all those miles on a fairly young car. I think it should be the other way around, discharging a battery from 100% to 0% is bad on battery life as you shorten its capacity rapidly. On the Prius, you are not technically discharging from full to empty as it's partially. That's how you supposed to charge your cell phone Batteries so that they last much longer. And these cars are used as Taxis many of them still with the Hybrid battery that are driving 30-60 miles annually. So yeah, HV batteries age as the car ages not how often you drive the car using the HV battery. The car wouldn't even operate without the traction battery. That's what those grid chargers are for to extend the battery life.

liskipper likes this.
  7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The USA Gen2 never had the EV button, though it was a fairly easy DIY many here tried.
    The word here in most cases logic says it does not help MPG or anything. And of course you could not go very fast with it. Never hear talk in USA of it on Gen2 anymore.

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please explain why the HV battery has to be replaced at a higher rate on the older (by age, not model year) Prii, if they last forever?
    A new healthy battery will not necessarily have this problem which is caused by self-discharge. Even if the new battery self-discharges to 0 volts, it will happily sit like that indefinitely (in a controlled environment). When it is time to use the battery, just fully charge and it is good to go.
    Please tell us the process to rejuvenate.
    Yup, I did.
    I'm sure you are very knowledgable, but pretty sure the Toyota training about NiMH is limited to what you need to know to work on Hybrids and does not necessarily make you an expert on the subject. However, I come here to learn, so hope there is some substance to your training that you can pass on. I'm all ears.

I am aware the the HV battery management software restricts the battery to 40%-80% as it was found in doing this the effective charge/discharge cycles were exponentially increased, hence having a real benefit in longevity of the battery (which has been proven in the field). However, the battery will eventually wear out and need to be replaced at some point. I am keen for you to expound on your theory that the battery will last forever, which you imply by your statement about what kills the NiMH battery:
    While these things are some of the reasons a battery will fail, it really is that these factors will speed up the process of failure. All batteries will die eventually.
    This will more likely happen in a used battery that has become out of balance. Caused by self-discharge to the point where one or more cells within the module becomes reversed. A module with a reversed cell can never be revived and will cause a DTC to be thrown

BLITZ XW50 likes this.
  9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it is good for the battery to be used, it keeps it in good condition. I never said for the car not to be driven, so where does your question come from?

#9 dolj, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow!

Just wow.

11. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    You were saying driving the car on EV would kill the battery. Hence I Coast and Glide alot. I can go very long distance gliding on electric using very little gas and show no signs of my HV battery degrading. It's not like the battery pack is going from 100% to 0% charge as it's a reason it's set to 80% charged and 40% discharged. FYI, I started off in electrical engineering before I switched to CompSci as I do know stuff about electronics.

#11 eman08, Sep 24, 2016
  12. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was saying not to use the EV button (a DIY accessory, not standard fit on the North American Gen II) to force the car into EV.

If the car is happy to use EV to propel the car, then let it. It knows what it's doing, just don't force is all.

13. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Look what we have here another one of those Egomaniacs with a Narcissist attitude that things they know it all.

I take that to an offense trying to be little someone you know nothing about. I have a background in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science FYI. I did a year and a half of studying electrical engineering before I switched over to computer science. Your statement doesn't make yours more validate than mine. We are just sharing our own opinions. Try to be nice next time otherwise you are going to get treated the same way in return.

#13 eman08, Sep 24, 2016
  14. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Incidentally, you are not gliding if you are using any of the motors. Gliding is where there are no power arrows anywhere on the Energy Monitor screen.

Data Daedalus and Tbkilb01 like this.
  15. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Pulse=gas, Coast=neutral no arrows (eCVT), Glide=electric yellow arrows.

#15 eman08, Sep 24, 2016
  16. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You are obviously using different terminology, I have never read where this distinction is made.

I have always understood what you are calling coasting is gliding and what you call gliding is pulsing, it makes no difference whether you use the ICE or the electric motor to pulse.

17. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----

18. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is an interesting take where he seems to have made it up as he went along.

The concept of pulse & glide is not a hybrid specific one so the basic concept is pulse up to speed (say 35 mph) and then come off the accelerator, move to neutral and glide until you reach the lower speed (say 28 mph), put it back into gear, rinse and repeat.

I'm not sure why he wants to complicate things by calling pulsing under electric gliding, when gliding and coasting are the same.

I agree in principle to most of what he's says, but my biggest problem is that he kinda infers that the Prius magically generates free energy from pulsing on electric (what he calls gliding) and regenerating free energy by regenerative braking.

This is simply not the case, there is no free lunch. All energy in a Prius Hybrid is generated by burning fuel. End of story. The biggest inefficiencies are converting energy from one form to another. Therefore it is inherently less economical to use electricity to power your car in the pulse than it is just to accelerate using the ICE.

I believe that if you just simplify it to a straight pulse and glide without any due care whether you use the ICE or electric (let the car work it out itself) you will get much better results.

Here are two better videos (IMO):

Toyota Prius Pulse and Glide Fuel Economy Tutorial | EcoModder

Prius Maximise Fuel Economy Secrets | Green Power Videos

The second one is in a Gen III but apart from the references to the HSI, it pretty much is transferable. You will notice that in both of these videos they do not reference a preference for using electric to pulse. Also note that "coast" and "glide" are the same thing–no energy flows.

See how you get on.

Data Daedalus and m.wynn like this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we don't really have any facts or data on using the ev button, do we?

20. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would think it is a little like having your car generating power for an inverter. When it gets down to 2 bars the engine will come on charge up.