1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV button for NHW11

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by der_Denis, Sep 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. der_Denis

der_Denis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hi everyone,

I want to install an EV button on my 2000 Prius.

I have a self made plug in conversion kit (5 kWh) which is enough for about 40 km of EV distance.
    But the ICE starts to kick in after 20 km. Thus I want to install some sort of circuit breaker of the fuses for either Fuel Injection or the fuel pump to use the rest of 20 km in EV mode.
    Once Li-ion battery is depleted, i switch back to the conventional hybrid mode, so no damage to either of the batteries.

Am I on the right track by addressing the Fuel Injection / fuel pump ?

I've researched on such topic but didn't get luck in details. Mostly it is reported to kill the fuel pump, but no concrete steps.

Sorry for asking if this is already answered elsewhere.
    I would appreciate a link or a helpful comment on that.

Thanks,
    Denis

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Interrupting the fuel pump will work. I've done over 40 'run out of gas' experiments over the years as part of my gasoline studies.

The car behaves perfectly normally except for the warning lights. I simply drive on battery to the nearest space to stop safely. I turn the car off; add 1 gallon of my next test fuel, and; start the car and drive to gas station for the rest of that test gasoline.

Caution, only three attempts to restart the car after the gas is gone. Otherwise, some internal latch is set preventing further attempts to start the car. Do a power-on/reset by disconnecting the 12V ground for ~30 seconds and reconnecting and the software latch is cleared.

If you get a chance, I would be interested in how quickly your car 12V voltage decays after the ground is disconnected.

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

3. der_Denis

der_Denis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks Bob,

Thus I find the fuse in the main relay/fuse box under the hood (drivers side), is that correct?
    I want to try a "hot" plug&play system. When the car starts after standing a night, i let the ICE to run, warm up, get itself and transaxle lubricated with the oil, and only then (if both NiMH and Li-Ion batteries are not depleted) provoke the car into the EV mode by breaking the circuit for the fuel pump fuse. Once the batteries are empty, turn the switch to close the circuit for the pump so the ICE gets its juice back.

But to get the ICE started again I need to restart the car.
    I wonder how can I tell the Prius ECU that it should not engage ICE before say the high voltage reaches 200 volt.

Got it, thanks.

Why would it start to decay ?

Regards,
    Denis

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There are 'big nice person caps' (tm) in the brake controller and probably some in the air bag controller. They should take a bit to discharge. I just don't remember anyone doing the experiment.

Bob Wilson

5. der_Denis

der_Denis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Oh, then I misunderstood, I thought you meant the 12v battry itself.
    I roughly tested it before. When the ground is disconnected it takes about 30 to 40 seconds to disappear.

Regards,
    Denis

bwilson4web likes this.