1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV Button FUBAR - How Bad Is It

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Smooth Operator, May 24, 2004.

1. snarf44

snarf44 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(benbethel\";p=\"18868)</div>
    Is this true? Can Anyone confirm or provide any more information about this?

I haven't been able to find any information on this

2. bobc

bobc New Member

Smooth Operator,

You're in luck when it comes to getting the pin out. They make tools for removing these pins. It's a circular tool that goes into the hole and flattens out the metal fins of the pin that stick up into the plastic, which hold the pin in place.

It's called a Modex extraction tool. My local Radio Shack actually carries one. It looks like this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cata...%5Fid=274%2D223

I'm sure you can find others on line. On the Right Coast, there's a place called ICC North in Brewer, ME that carries these. 1-800-654-0481

The trick is to get the right size tool for the wire.

Since you live in a big town, there's gotta be an electronics repair place around that you can go to and have them pop the pin.

good luck!

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(snarf44\";p=\"82316)</div>
    I tried it when I switch my car from CA to AZ last Oct. They said no go on this.

The guy's story was that AZ was already losing money on the deal due to the numerous amounts of SUV's and trucks w/ small LPG or CNG tanks that run in a "bi-fuel" setup.

4. ~sparky~

~sparky~ New Member

ok rick and ben, my arizona compadres...

is this AF plate thing real, or just urban legend? either of you have the plate on your pri? i just got my ev kit from coastal this afternoon and will be installing regardless...

thanks!

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

5. azddavero

azddavero New Member

Re: Was EV Button FUBAR - Now Alt Fuel Plates/HOV Use

Sparky,

It's an urban legand as far as I can tell. The last I heard, while the state legislature has approved hybrids to drive in HOV lanes, the federal government does not allow their use on highways built with it's money.

If someone else (Rick?) had better info I'd be glad to hear it.

Dave

6. ~sparky~

~sparky~ New Member

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

You can only go 2 miles max at 34MPH or less so I doubt that would qualify you as a vehicle that can go electric for purposes of HOV lanes.

As for the pin, if the pin used was taken from the combination switch, the problem is that the pin is a bit too big for the hole, and binds in there.
    If the end sticking out is hollow but filled with solder, then you should be able to melt the solder and stick a solid wire in there while the solder is still melted. Granted, you would have to be careful not to touch any other wires or trim in the vicinity, and act quickly so that you don't melt the plug.

Or you might be able to shove a bit of wire between the pin and the plug hole and hope it stays via friction.