1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV BUtton Mod - Who can install it without Voiding Warranty?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by dongwoo, Dec 11, 2007.

1. dongwoo

dongwoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hey all!

I know theres been a lot of talk about this in the past. And I have read them, and doesn't seem to be a official decision on whether the EV mod (Japan OEM Part from Monolith) would void the warrranty.

I went to Toyota Sunnyvale and they confirmed that my 08 Prius does have the computer already programmed to accept the EV button, but if I attempt to install or anyone for that matter (including themselves) it would void the warranty. But I dont think they put too much thought into it - didnt seem like they cared to either.

Has anyone around the bay area, CA had this EV button installed by a Toyota/Lexus dealer and given you written documentation saying that they promise it wont void the warranty? If so, can you tell me which one, so i can go there for the install.

I kno the install is not difficult at all, but if it means it will void my 100,000 mile warranty.... then I'd rather pay for the labor.

Thank you in advance all and happy holidays!

2. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i use my hi-beam switch for ev mode, not only is it reversible, its practically hidden.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think you'll find anyone, Toyota dealer or otherwise, that will give you a written guarantee that it won't void the warranty. There are a handful of dealers that will install the mod for you.

4. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Having the EV Butoon is going to save you what? Aside from just another neat gadget..:rolleyes:

I never modified mine, and didnt care too.

Efuscos right on the money..;)

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    To directly answer your question, anyone -outside of- North America can install an EV button without voiding the battery warranty (their cars come with it anyway).

Anyone -in- North America who has installed or has someone else install -any- EV mod runs the risk of loosing their battery warranty coverage.

This has been made quite clear by Toyota executives.

In practice, it appears the situation is resolved on a case by case basis. So far, I've only heard of one.

You will now hear from all kinds of internet legal experts, on whether Toyota could win in court. Good luck with that battle.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There was at least one confirmed case of the EV mode voiding the warranty in the U.S. The case in question was eventually settled by having the owner remove the EV button and agree to not reinstall it. There is no guaranty that Toyota will always be that accommodating. Don't install it unless you are willing to assume the risk.

Tom

7. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Is there a link to details on this case?

I still wonder why an option sold outside the US being applied to a US car is considered a warranty violation when the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act seems to say that said violation would have to be specified on the warranty as "No EV switches, ever."...

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's the thread:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35245&highlight=battery

The short and sweet is that his battery died, when he took it in they noted the EV mod, told him it would cost him $4500 to replace it since the EV button voided the warranty. He appealed and the battery was ultimately replaced as long as he agreed to remove and not reinstall his EV mod.

9. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  10. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, so there's one. Who's next?

11. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't quite understand: apparently there was NO court case where Toyota won out when a judge decided the Act I mentioned was not applicable, yet this comment gets posted anyway. If Nate found an acceptable and cheap way out of his problem, fine, but to say Toyota has a legal right to violate warranties because of adding their own parts available elsewhere still seems questionable.

Unless you question nothing for fear of backlash?...

12. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You don't understand?

1) Someone stated that we would now hear from "internet legal experts" on whether Toyota could win in court.

2) Twenty minutes later you posted the title of a Law and your belief that the law would require certain wording in the warrantee for Toyota to win in court.

3) I pointed out that your post is the first to meet the conditions indicated in 1.

Seems straight forward enough.

13. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    When I attended a Prius workshop at Sunnyvale Toyota, a technician said that an EV button would void the battery warranty. The reasoning he gave was that using it causes the battery to cycle more, thus lessening the life of the battery. With the 150,000 mile warranty (California & a few other states), Toyota didn't want to take the hit that an EV button would create. He was fully aware of the presence of the EV button in what he called "other markets".

The $3500 charge for a complete new battery isn't really necessary. The battery is actually made up of smaller individual modules than can be individually replaced. Its seems reasonable to expect that there will be a market in refurbished battery packs where only the bad modules have been swapped (maybe from another similar age pack). So the actual charge will be more like $200 to $500, not $3500. I've seen battery packs from wrecked cars for sale in the $700 range.

So I guess if you absolutely require a fully warranted car, you are out of luck with the EV button. But the probability of the battery actually dying before you sell the car seems really remote. Maybe you should be wary of purchasing a Prius with an EV button and 200,000 miles on it.

14. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it an act or is it case law?

I don't know why people get so excited about the EV mode, I have it and only use it to sneak out of my garage when I am leaving for work at 6AM because my garage is 3 metres from my neighbours bedroom. It saves no petrol. I cancel it before my first corner because I like my traction battery and I trust the battery management and HSD computer to look after my traction battery.