1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV Button???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by seeh2o, Mar 5, 2004.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As stated, part of the reason seems to be concern over a gray area of the EPA regulations that there was not time to work out prior to starting production.

The other thing is that the only issue isn't 'harm', but efficiency. Look at all the complaints about not getting the EPA numbers now. If people were randomly and inefficiently employing the EV button all the time mpg can be even lower and thus the complaints would go up even more.

That said, I think we'll have it soon.

2. mboileau

mboileau New Member

This is my personal opinion only, since we can't confirm what Toyota had in mind when they opted to not include this for the US market, but the US consumer is indeed a different breed of driver than in any other country. Toyota's slogan for the Prius ("Just drive it!") clearly shows that the ability to get this vehicle into the average consumer's hands requires that it look, feel, drive and operate like any other car.

The EV mode of operation, by disabling the parallel component of the THS II's serial/parallel system, allows the driver to latch what we've been calling "stealth mode" for use in slow-moving urban or residential areas where noise pollution is as critical as combustion fumes. In pure EV mode, the vehicle dynamics are radically different with extended acceleration times, limited top speed and a faster drain on the HV cells.

Those of us who understand the fundamentals of how our cars operate are eager to gain more direct control over its functions for both the sport of it and to optimize its efficiency. Consider, however, the larger masses who would ultimately use the switch at the wrong times under the wrong driving conditions and ultimately form a negative opinion about the vehicle. It was a safe decision based on a specific target market that's unfamiliar as a rule with alternative drive systems.

3. boa8

boa8 New Member

4. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'd have to see a practical example of how the car would need to burn more gasoline with liberal EV mode useage.

Will the battery be taken so far lower than normal over the two miles EV will work that the gasoline consumed to recharge it will exceed the amount that would have burned in normal mode? I'm thinking that the normal warmup gasoline use would have been X, and the driving gasoline use would have been Y, so the post-EV gasoline use (recharging the battery alone, which won't be all the engine is doing if the battery is now too low to power the car but you aren't home yet) would have to exceed X+Y to be less efficient.

Anyone with numbers can chime in anytime...

5. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

6. cybele

cybele New Member

I'm pretty proud of the fact that I can keep the car in stealth while navigating my office parking structure up to the fourth floor (if I'm late, otherwise I only have to go the second level). (This is without installation of the EV button, just a light touch and low speed.)

I'm glad I'm in EV mode because it means that I'm not creating any emissions at all, it's better for everyone's health in a confined space.

And as for the pedestrians ... I just lean on the horn, I know I take a hit in the mileage because it eats power, but what the hey ... <g>

Kidding aside, keeping in stealth the old fashioned way actually helps me to keep my speed down (not that I was ever one for speed), which is more important in parking lots and small residential streets, at least in my opinion.

7. boa8

boa8 New Member

8. toyoprius

toyoprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm actually going to be over in the Netherlands in a couple of weeks. I'll try to pick up a handful of "EV" buttons and will offer them at cost. If you think you might be interested, email me so I can get a rough idea of the amount of interest.

9. Jonathan

Jonathan New Member

I'm in. Thanks, Jon

oh and gave a great trip ;*)

10. plusaf

plusaf plusaf

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    here's a conspiracy theory guess, prompted by the comment about the EPA in the US...

so, what's to stop the EPA from pushing or not pushing the button during their testing? if the button were accidentally engaged, it would really foul up their mindless testing! they'd end up with red faces, and that just couldn't be allowed to happen!

but thanks for answering the questions for me: i got to sit in a silver 09 the other day, and noticed the switch's "place-holder", and wondered what the heck they'd left that "hole" for in a fully-optioned car!!!!!!

but, by the way... this car would be too noisy pulling into a covered parking place on what planet!? it's virtually noise-free on electric OR ICE!
    :)

11. toyoprius

toyoprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    OK, Jonathon and gang.

As per my offer a few messages above:

The EV Switches arrived yesterday. Apparently my little order choked up the logistical network of Toyota, the European Economic Community, and the Free World as we know it.

The switches go for $77 (54.04 Euros plus a 19% VAT). Distributed bribes to the hotel consierge to drive out to the the burbs to pick up the back-ordered item (Toyota won't ship!), and shipping charges to the world's newest Evil Empire add another $13.00. Add another $5 for priority mail (or UPS if you prefer) including insurance. $95 total, ker-ching. I will absorb the cost of the 80 minute round trip tram ride back to the hotel to get cash (Toyota doesn't accept credit cards!), and the 45 minutes standing in line at Schipol unsuccessfully trying to get reimbursed on the VAT (Toyota fibbs!).

I received several emails on this earlier but didn't respond because I didn't know what the price was going to be. If you are still interested and are willing to pay by PayPal, please let me know by email. My apologies to those who responded earlier--I (or Yahoo) somehow purged my emails. So this will be first come, first served.

Karl

12. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I want to get that EV button that Costal Dave is working on, where you just push the cancel button on the cruise control.

13. davidbw

davidbw Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Is it possible that the reason that they did not put the EV switch on the USA and Canadian cars is that they all have the steering wheel on the left side, and the Japanese and European cars have the steering wheel on the right side?

14. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    '

That's a very easy install you can do yourself, all you need is a couple of jumpers...the trick is that he created a diode to prevent other problems. You can do the 'flasher' if you like without that diode.

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't really think so, how would it make any difference? Obviously, since several of us have already done it, the button works fine on the left or on the right and the slot for the button is the same.

What is your thinking on this to suggest that?

16. toyoprius

toyoprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    For those interested in the EV switch, my email address has changed. My profile is now updated, and the email should get through. Sorry for the confusion.

Karl

17. woodworks

woodworks New Member

All European countries except the UK and Ireland have the steering wheel on the left, just like in the US. So that explanation doesn't wash either.

18. toyoprius

toyoprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    One last (hopefully) clarification: I only have the EV switch (84720-47010) now; the housing (90980-10964) is still back-ordered. It's difficult to describe without actually seeing it, but IMHO the housing is not really necessary. Nevertheless, I will forward it when it arrives. Depending on how you hook it up, a retrofit should be painless.

19. ifftster

ifftster New Member

I'll pick up a switch if any left, been patiently waiting for a chance to get hold of oem switch. i'll send you an email.

20. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No numbers here, but...

The HSD employs a computer algorithm, designed to determine the most efficient combination of ICE and MGs, involving load balancing, etc. Notice that often, even though you seem to be moving steadily along, the power flow to and from the battery will switch back and forth and your instantaneous mpg will shoot up and down, presumably as the engine takes up a greater or lesser portion of the load.

There are situations when a human can beat the algorithm, for example, when you know you will not be running the car long enough to justify the 5-minute warm-up cycle. But indiscriminate use of EV mode robs the computer of the opportunity to fine-tune the division of power. And that's why IMO many drivers would see reduced mpg with an EV button.