1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV charge getting worse

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Julesriez98, Feb 10, 2023.

1. Julesriez98

Julesriez98 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Got a 2015 prius plug in with 159,222 miles on it. I had to buy a charger on Amazon. I plugged in the charger into the car for 3 hours the first time in December 2022(about a month after I bought the car) and it charged with 13.6 miles. Then as time went on the battery would charge in the mid to low 12s. And as of today the car charged with 10.6 miles on it. I live in New York so idk if the cold is effecting it, but the total charge has gotten worse over time. No engine or warning lights are on

Anyone have any ideas about the charge? Maybe the charger I got off Amazon is bad? I charge it in the garage outlet LV1 charger

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Temperature has a decent effect on range (both the battery temperature itself as well as the use of heater in the cabin due to colder temperatures).

3. LeviSmith

LeviSmith Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Charger and car sound fine. The range is based on how the car is used so it can fluctuate a lot. I live in NY as well, yes the cold will use up charge quicker. Best mileage will be like Spring/Fall when it's like 60 degrees, no heat or AC, no lights, wipers, rain, uphills or high speeds, etc...

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You put energy into the battery, not miles. How far you go on that energy depends on lots of stuff like traffic, speed, temperature, climate control, terrain, wind speed & direction, etc.

Also, the charger is in the car. What you bought is an Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE), more commonly called a charging cable.The brand, speed, and source of EVSE you have is completely irrelevant as long as it's functional.

EvaBarden likes this.
  5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    While a low temperature will have a temporary affect on the battery capacity,
    AGE has an permanent affect......and will gradually get worse.

Maybe 3 hours isn't enough charging time ? Just a wild guess.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    13.6 was the last owners range based on their driving and environment.
    it could even be factory default if the 12v ws disconnected.
    what you're seeing is projected range based on past history, just like dte for the gas engine.
    cold has a major effect on the range (battery capacity, friction losses and etc.)
    i'm doen to 11. 5 from 14 in the fall, and it will go back up in the spring, then down a bit in summer due to heat, humidity and a/c use.

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The miles shown are based on how/when you used the EV mode averaged over a number of trips, not the amount of battery charge. If you go up many hills the value will be lower. If you just use EV on the flat or downhill the value will be larger. They way I use my EV mode my 10 year old battery "shows" 12 or more miles. I live on a hill and always use ECO mode going home and EV mode when leaving.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    jules must have forgotten he posted here