1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV efficiency

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Jul 23, 2018.

1. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If you mean the model 3 base by 3B (it is generally referred to as the 3SR (short range)), it will be higher mpge than the 3LR.......I don't know maybe close to 140 mpge? And the kWh/100mi. will be somewhere between 20 and 22.

#21 el Crucero, Jul 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This time I was looking at efficiency which allows a car to get more range per pound of battery. Efficiency consists of two parts: City, dominated by mass, and; Hwy, dominated by aerodynamics. However, this is not enough to help determine if a particular car meets their transportation requirements.

I'm mulling how to present specifications for these efficient EVs so folks can compare to their requirements. I see no utility in evaluating less efficient EVs, BYD, or suspicious, Hyundai EV.

Bob Wilson

3. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I would think, other than cargo and/or passenger space, range would be the biggest factor determining if it meets requirements.
    MPGe already incorporates efficiency and is already split into city and highway efficiency, so I don’t believe this is a case where the wheel needs to be reinvented.

Efficiency isn’t at the top of most people’s lists of requirements. Although, if by “folks” you have a particular set of people for whom efficiency is of primary importance, ignore what I said :)

Trollbait likes this.
  4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    it seems everyone is concerned with efficiency, once gas hits $4 a gallon. Put another way, wastefulness & inefficiency become the norm when power is inexpensive & endless. Ergo - more land barges being sold. They're now cheep to operate. The upside for the oilie industry - this keeps the pumps flowing. How else can the petro industry get the demand back up high .... gotta reduce supply.
    But ev's buyers can look at efficiency too.
    Our little one - i can get 5 miles per kWh.
    Our big one - i can get 3 miles per kWh.
    Our little one - it costs us < 1¢/mile .... but it can't hold a lot of cargo. It certainly can't do this;

[​IMG]

We did compare the efficiency of our 2 plugins - not against each other, but against our 10 yr old AWD hybrid SUV & against our 10yr old little hybrid. Each one - over $2,000yr operational/efficiency cost difference.
    ymmv

Zythryn likes this.