1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV Environmental Impacts - Recent Articles

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by wjtracy, Oct 23, 2012.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here are some recent eco-assessments of EV from a literature article in Journal of Industrial Ecology with some follow-up interpretive remarks by EV-skeptic John Petersen. Note this is directed to EU audience as far as power plant fuel mix CO2 yield (which at the moment in 2012 we are closer to in USA). Some good points, but nothing which transforms the USA (or Prius Chat) debate. These articles do not factor in USA-environmentalist sentiments regarding relative EV vs. oil value judgements, so keep that in mind. Although it says the one author is with the US EPA now.

Comparative Environmental Life Cycle Assessment of Conventional and Electric Vehicles - Hawkins - 2012 - Journal of Industrial Ecology - Wiley Online Library

Electric Vehicles, Front-Loading The CO2 Emissions - Seeking Alpha

PS- Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe they are solely talking about Lithium batteries so it does not help us too much in the Prius Hybrid debates about NiMH battery eco-impacts.