1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV experiences

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by john1701a, Feb 21, 2013.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Not really. This is shakeout for feedback. Getting fine detail is usually a challenge. This particular thread just happens to make it easy.

My first anniversary is rapidly approaching and getting thoughts from newer owners is priceless... since unfortunately, they are usually so happy with their experiences, not much actually gets shared online.

It's not actually that much, since there's a tax credit. Shaving $2,000 or so off prior to the credit expiring is realistic too.

Toyota prevents 100% recharging, which would contribute to battery degradation Charging is automatically stopped at 85%. That means greater EV capacity is actually already available. It's just not enabled for the sake of longevity.

2. SJ PiP

SJ PiP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    is this standard for Tesla, Volt, leaf too?

yes, varies by individual. my routine is dictated by the wacky time-of-use tiered rates (E-9A for PGE folks). so i only charge once a day in early morning hours and occasionally once during the day on a weekend. when i get into tier 3 toward the end of the month, peak charging is >30cents/kwh!

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I believe both Tesla & Leaf offer a "stop short" type recharging option. Not sure what capacity Volt recharges to.

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    John, he's obviously referring to the excessive price differential. You are not going to get back a $6,500 price differential or even $4,000 simply because limited range means limited miles. Toyota either has problems with an excessively expensive Lithium battery supply or is deliberately maintaining an excessive margin to squeeze as much as it can get from its NiMh IP.

That said, if I were looking to buy a new Prius I'd be looking for the big PiP discounts and buy one.

5. Gaudete

Gaudete Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    RBooker likes this.
  6. Ken Blake

Ken Blake Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My "daily routine" is a 7.8 mile commute each way. I use the timer so the car completes charging about 10 minutes before I leave for work in the AM. The car is garaged, at 50-60F overnight. I do not have the opportunity to charge at work most days. Yesterday was low to mid 40s and dry for both commutes. Driver's seat heater on high for both commutes, headlights on for the evening commute, no A/C or fan until I ran out of EV miles. I made it all the way to work on EV, and part of the way home. Average mileage for the round trip was 142MPG according to the trip meter. On Saturdays I can pull the car into an unused bay and charge it up. I average 999MPG on Saturdays :)

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That "pay for itself" reasoning has never been justification for purchase. There has always a premium for hybrids. The goal has always been to reduce it to a level of mainstream acceptance, the same as though other upgrade features of the past have successfully been accepted... like automatic transmissions.

That's why the EV experience is worthy of pointing out. It's part of what you get for the upgrade.

8. Gaudete

Gaudete Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    "Never?" I can't agree with you on that. A whole lot of people (myself included) engage in quite a bit of math in order to opt for a hybrid. With the Prius, I've gotten a vehicle that's suffers from significantly worse cabin noise, plastic detailing, and no pep compared to many other cars in the price range.

For a vehicle with similar characteristics, I could have paid closer to $20,000.

What I did get in return for buying a Prius, however, was 50+ mpg.
    Given all the driving I do, the gas savings more than makes up for the price differential - and is worth the sacrifice in terms of overall quality.

Since, after all the rebates and such, I was able to get a Plug-in for about $1000 more than I was willing to spend on a regular Prius, I once again did the math and it made sense.

I am not alone in doing this!

berylrb and lensovet like this.
  9. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Volt charges to 87% and switches to HV at 22% so the usable charged capacity is normally 65%.

10. Gaudete

Gaudete Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    PS: John 1701a - just followed the link to your website. Nifty and very helpful!

11. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I can agree with you on that.

Sorry about not being clear, my perspective was from the business. Design & Cost considerations haven't aimed for NONE as the goal. That just plain was not realistic; that still isn't either. It's why the "package upgrade" view has been taken.

From the consumer perspective, yes, obviously. But the motto of "there's no free lunch" does come to mind. And of course, there is the possibility of gas prices soaring... consequently changing the decision to a no-brainer.

12. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I just like driving the car. :D

Andyprius1 and Big Dude like this.
  13. Coyotefred

Coyotefred Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I largely agree. But as an aside I think it's very interesting how the "cost" issue comes up during PiP discussions. People--at least where I live--can drop thousands upon thousands of dollars on all sorts of vehicle purchases where the cost/value is highly questionable...excessively-sized and tricked-out pickups for hobby ranchers, fancy motorcycles, RVs, boutique and sports cars, etc...and seldom are they questioned about the financial wisdom of their purchase. But bring up your PiP and the fact that it costs several thousand more than a "typical" sedan, and then all of a sudden you're interrogated as some kind of tree-hugging elitist expecting "average people" to afford the "luxury" of the PiP...

[quote="Gaudete, post: 1746248, member: 102996"

[snip]

That said, I don't think people would be forking over an additional $5,000 for a vehicle with a slightly improved battery technology. The big draw of the PiP is the EV-mode. Given that the EV-mode only gets you about 11 miles (which will decrease over time), I'm not sure it's worth an extra $5,000 to most people.

[/quote]

14. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Fortunately, that's no different than greenwashing of the past. Certain groups work really hard to generate stigma, casting Prius as some sort of extreme. Innocent observers pick up that sentiment and spread it, unknowingly helping them undermine progress. Ironically, those in favor of green who claim the plug-in Prius is "too little" are actually helping to push Prius even further into the mainstream. So, it will work out just fine.

Cost concerns seem to wash away all by themselves over time. In reality, it's owners being seen and sharing their experiences that really causes the mindset change. The frequency of encounters make the idea more and more acceptable. That's why a thread to post EV driving stories was started.

I got really lucky yesterday, leaving work at exactly the right time. The sun was just setting on that overcast day which had delivered about 6 inches of fluffy new snow. It made for a great opportunity to film my commute home without any special video setup. Lighting was perfect. Scenery was compelling. Traffic would allow driving EV the entire capacity. I'd be able to deplete completely without needing a hard acceleration or having to turn on the heater. That particular drive requires a climb out of the river valley at 55 mph, something I've been yearning to show others. Hopefully, that video turned out well and I'll be able to share it here.

15. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You compared it to automatic transmissions, but that's really a very poor comparison. An automatic transmission is a significant driving convenience. In a Prius HEV, If you drive 10 miles per day, and get 30mpg, it'd take you 30 days before you used 10 gallons. If it takes 5 minutes to fill up at a gas station that's 10 seconds per day. Then, for longer trips, because you have a smaller gas tank in the PiP your filling time per gas mile increases. Since the Pi "package" doesn't change the way you drive it's actually an inconvenience.

The Pi is a driving experience package, but it's a restrictive upgrade. Limited range means less EV time. Limited maximum output means less EV time. Inability to heat means less EV time. And all of this in a Prius, which is a car LOTS of drivers reject because of the how it drives and the cabin noise, something that isn't changed significantly by the Pi.

I don't expect it to cost nothing. The difference between the PiP and a Three is heated seats, some software, charging hardware and a Lithium battery replacing the NiMH battery (which, note, Toyota puts a high price on). The new tech is the battery (which replaces the existing battery), charger and software.

The problem is that you really don't get much for your (and other taxpayers') money. Toyota wants to charge the USA $6,500 for that, and charge people in other countries even more and then complain that the uptake is disappointing?

It's very simple: as gas prices rise, the cost difference between running on gas in two different PHEVs rises at a much slower rate than the difference between running on gas and running on electricity. Therefore, high gas prices favor cars with greater electric range. Now add in the fact that a larger battery allows for greater power and the choice for most people will be a no-brainer.

16. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Overlooking the fact that it added cost and came with an efficiency penalty is a stretch. Also, I'm not going to undermine by replying to financial points here. Please start a new thread for that.

Forcing the perspective of it being an EV is a stretch too, since that isn't even its purpose. That fact that there are opportunities to drive using only electricity is a bonus.

Prius PHV is a plug-in hybrid. The plug improves emissions & efficiency.

17. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have PIP envy. Next car for sure will be a PIP

18. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    As much as I complain about more EV range, I'm about to hit my second 1000 mile tank.

Jeff N likes this.
  19. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)Glad I got the plug-in Prius. Would have been disappointed within days if I hadn't. I wouldn't feel comfortable with a electric only vehicle with limitations at this time. Looking forward to the future with improved technology. Content for now and will take full advantage of the EV mode. Toyota was nice enough to finance my plug-in advance optioned Prius for sixty month. Todays technology not payable in full until 2018. With that in mind, the plug-in price difference is insignificant to me.

20. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm happy every time I drive without using gas.

I have a daily commute of over 80 miles roundtrip over freeway, and I average 70 MPG. That's significantly better mileage than I got with my 2010 Prius. If only all cars in America got mileage like we did!