1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured EV Ford Mustang; Production Exceeding the Gas Version

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by hill, Jun 5, 2021.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Ford Production of Electric Mustang Exceeds Gas-Powered Pony Car - Bloomberg

They say they'd build even more . . . but apparently the manufacturer's supply chain isn't prepared for plug in car production. (sounds familiar of at least one other manufacturer) Maybe it's just chip production?

privilege likes this.
  2. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The supposed substantial dealer mark up is a huge turn off for my wife and me...

moto g(7) power ?

hill likes this.
  3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That will go away as cars get to dealers.

jzchen likes this.
  4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Considering its power, range, & charge infrastructure - and comparing that to a model Y - it'd seem that some folks are not so much buying them for the usual sporty reasons - but rather the brand. That might make sense if it were the F-150 pickup ... but an EV?
    o_O

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well some people like the design, some people like the space, some people like the range. That’s why choice is good.

bwilson4web likes this.
  6. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    We've had two PHEVs (electrified vehicle) in the household now. Our first was a '13 Ford C-MAX Energi. Our current one is an '18 Honda Clarity. We got the 2nd to highest package (301a) in the Ford, there were 3 or 4. Out of the two trim levels we got the highest (Touring) Clarity. I have to say the development/thought they put into the C-MAX as compared to the Clarity I still appreciate the C-MAX more. Connectivity wise My Ford Mobile (and Ford Sync 2.0) does a lot lot more than HondaLink, even being 5 years older. Value charging could be programmed in detail on the Ford while it is really basic/crude in the Clarity. As an example I set both cars to charge starting at 10 pm. If my wife comes home at 10:01 pm and plugged in her C-MAX it would immediately start charging. If you miss the 10:00 pm on the dot with the Clarity it won't automatically do so...

Ford has a long reputation at making pickup trucks, and they make them very well. If you break down what a pickup is it is basically a big heavy vehicle that moves. An SUV is similar in that respect, so I expect them to make it well also.

The Y has one significant negative, well at least that I feel. The one pedal driving is the only mode you can choose. Creep mode I find is a good improvement to set up, but still for a person to jump over to an EV it's a real adjustment to make. They did it to "improve range" but I find it inhibiting.

If you consider performance. There Tesla has an advantage I feel "on paper". As I saw an article comparing a Porsche Taycan Turbo to a Model S Plaid noted. The Tesla can do better at the drag strip, but maybe just the first run, after which it dials back due to heat or something. On the other hand the Taycan can repeatedly give your the same performance numbers.

Ultimately for me, yes, the 5 vs 7 seats and the range is not quite as good. I think those are the deal breakers for me, besides price haggling.

moto g(7) power ?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe ford is getting some converts that might not have gone tesla. there are plenty of mustang fans.
    just not enough to make a difference. but baby steps are better than no steps, and it should help ford ev r&d

hill likes this.
  8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

Source: 2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo S vs. 2020 Tesla Model S Performance

jzchen likes this.
  9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Note the article says "production" is higher not demand is higher, and I think it says FORD's policy is to give preference to the new BEV production over ICE version when there is a part shortage. And I think it says US demand is much 3-to-1 higher for ICE version.

Headline should read FORD sells a bunch of BEV Mustang to Norway?

bisco likes this.
  10. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    congrats Ford !!

it would be pretty cool to see a tiny 3cyl turbo diesel generator in these things so you could drive across country without worry.

they sure got the performance in these !

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that would defeat the purpose