1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV Hack Pin in HV ECU Harness

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Frontporch, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After a long wait I finally decided to go ahead and try to do the simple EV button mod.

http://www.calcars.org/prius-evbutton-install.pdf

Everything was going fine, got the pins from the turn signal, found the harness connector that i needed to add the pin to and soldered the pin onto a wire.

The instructions were very detailed but the one disconnect is the diagram with the pin orientation shows a pin that looks nothing like the pins that came from the flasher and what I pulled matches his pictures of the pins. I decided to put what looks like a large notch in the pin facing the pin locking retainer.

What is happening to me is I push the pin into the harness connector and it doesn't make it all the way in. I have to push with a small screwdriver and a lot of force. It is to the point where most of the pin is in the connector, but there is still a way to go.

The pin is probably far enough in to make contact with the pins in the HV ECU, but I don't like that I can't get the pin retainer tab pushed down.

Any suggestions?

2. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I found another site and the pin has to go in with the wire "trough" visibly facing out from the connector. That was my assumption on the original guide. When I forced the pin to bottom out by pressing with a small screwdriver( the metallic end of the pin is slightly visible on the other side of the connector ) the retainer still would not go down. I decided to use moderate pressure with a set of channel locks to force it down. It snapped down ( may have broken inside on my pin... but I don't care). I needed to get that retainer down so no wires would come loose and it could go back into the ECU.

I think everything else worked. Battery is a little low and the weather was colder, so it acted a little strange. Will try it again after I get it on the road in a few days.