1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV/HV strategies & techniques

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Pasaman, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Pasaman

Pasaman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I know there is a ton of info on this in this forum but I want to see if i can get some info compiled in this thread. I just got my PiP base model last week.

What techniques and strategies do you all use to maximize mpg/mpge or whatever you want to call it?

When to use EV miles? When not to use EV miles?

Right now I have been using HV and then switching to EV to maintain my speed and coast in EV more. I learned really quickly not to use EV driving uphill. My EV miles decreased by over 2 on this .5 mile big hill. And when using HV is it best to really slowly accelerate or is it ok to press gas harder and go into power mode to get to coasting speed faster?

Just want to know how to get the most out of my EV miles. I know there are conflicting opinions but I'd love to get a nice discussion going and I'd love to hear all input.

2. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have a ton of time...but here are my Cliff Notes:

You obviously want to use all your EV up before you have a chance to recharge. Also, if possible, never use the ICE. Those are the gimmes.

If you have 2 different segments of a trip that have a good time break in the middle of them use all EV on the first leg. That way you only have one ICE warmup penalty.

If you are all out of EV, pulse and glide.

If you have some EV and you know you will have no problem using it before you have a chance to charge use a technique I am now calling Pulse and BEG (battery extended glide). This is basically done like you said, using the ICE to climb hills or get up to speed then using EV to stay at speed or slow down gradually.

I'm probably leaving something out, but those are my basic rules of thumb.

3. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the definition of BEG.

I like BEG for most driving when EV is definitely not enough for the entire trip, applied such that all EV miles are used by the end of the trip. Also if there are hills, the downhill portion is where you can pick up more EV miles. P&G generally results in relatively wide variations in speed which may annoy others on the road and just doesn't feel comfortable to me.

j12piprius and markabele like this.