1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV mileage dropping over time

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Tabor M, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Tabor M

Tabor M Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I purchased the car in June. My charging time and hours are pretty consistent. So is my driving routes and EV mileage use pattern.

Over time, I noticed that, when fully charged, EV mileage (available as shown on the dash) went from 13.4 at the time of purchase, to 14.3 for roughly 3 months, to 13.4 for a month, to 12.8 earlier this month, and now to 12.4.

I am not certain what explains this pattern...could it be the fact that I am using the head light more recently and it's winter time?

Anyone?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Being colder thickens oils and fluids, reduces the effectiveness of some battery chemistries, and increases heating and lighting loads.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not the lights. what constitutes winter in la? summer might be just as bad or worse due to a/c use and battery reduced efficiency. are you judging by miles actually travelled before the engine comes on, or just the dash estimator icon?

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    IIRC, it was actually colder in L.A. than Boston this morning. <link is being deleted>

There's a rule of thumb for every 10 degree temp drop there's an X mile reduction of EV range but I can't recall what "X" is ATM.:confused:

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think it was around 39 this morning. we've had a very warm fall.

6. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    My experience for actual distance is about 0.6 km/deg C, or about 2 miles per 10 deg F (if I calculated correctly):unsure:
    Also, it is not linear, at about 17-23 deg C the 'X' is smaller...

#6 giora, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    fotomoto likes this.
  7. geminiDragon1964

geminiDragon1964 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just purchased a used 2012 Prius Plug-In with ~37k miles on it. I thought it would be pretty cool to EV all the way to work (13 miles) and not use a drop of gas. However when I charge it I only get at most 9.4 miles of EV range. That's if I have the air conditioner turned off before I turn off the car. The manual says that the estimated EV range displayed depends on driving habits, so I suspect that the onboard computer is looking at the status of components that use energy before it makes its estimate. My typical driving style is pretty gentle--without charging the car I get 50 - 55 mpg. The worst EV range I've gotten is 8.7 miles. On top of that, there seems to be some kind of exponential drain that happens right after I charge the car, so although it will say I have 9.4 miles of EV range, it will drain down to 8.5 before I'm out of my driveway. I've spoken with the dealership about it, but I suspect that here in Texas they don't get enough of these PIPs to even know what to make of them. Is there something wrong with my PIP or does the charge capacity of the battery degrade over time? Or miles?

I just purchased a used 2012 Prius Plug-In with ~37k miles on it. I thought it would be pretty cool to EV all the way to work (13 miles) and not use a drop of gas. However when I charge it I only get at most 9.4 miles of EV range. That's if I have the air conditioner turned off before I turn off the car. The manual says that the estimated EV range displayed depends on driving habits, so I suspect that the onboard computer is looking at the status of components that use energy before it makes its estimate. My typical driving style is pretty gentle--without charging the car I get 50 - 55 mpg. The worst EV range I've gotten is 8.7 miles. On top of that, there seems to be some kind of exponential drain that happens right after I charge the car, so although it will say I have 9.4 miles of EV range, it will drain down to 8.5 before I'm out of my driveway. I've spoken with the dealership about it, but I suspect that here in Texas they don't get enough of these PIPs to even know what to make of them. Is there something wrong with my PIP or dose the charge capacity of the battery degrade over time? Or miles?

8. sillylilwabbit

sillylilwabbit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The last few times I fully charged my PHV, I only get 10 EV every time.

One time I noticed a battery drain as well, then I noticed I had the driving lights on, I turned them off now. I havnt had it long enough to see if that is the reason for the battery drain, but since it draws power, I decided to just turn it off since it is really unnecessary unless you are in a underground parking garage, mountains, etc.

What did you pay for your 2012 PIP with 37k miles? I got the exact same year and mileage 1 week ago?

iPhone ?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you saying the dash estimate is 9.4, or the engine kicks on after 9.4 miles of your commute?

also, are you aware that if you turn the fan on, the estimate drops approx. 10%, but goes back up if you turn it off? it's just letting you know that potential a/c use will lower your range.

10. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome on board:)
    First, what really counts is actual EV range! and it depends on temperature as well as driving style, road and traffic conditions etc. Please advise what average actual range you are getting in your commute for a certain temp?
    You can expect longer actual range in the summer. 13 miles EV in summer is doable.
    As bisco said, the drop from 9.4 to 8.5 on the estimate may be a result of operating the fan (even without A/C).
    Yes, battery degrades in time (as any other battery), some reports on this forum indicate a degradation of 3-4.5% per year (time + miles (i.e. charges) - together).