1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV mileage

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by ed4271, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you ever hooked up Hybrid Assistant App on you PRIME to check the total kWh used and real SOC% changes under pure EV drive? If what you are saying is true, then the numbers for the SOC% corresponding to the full EV range should have changed accordingly.

mr88cet likes this.
  2. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In short, “not yet at least.”

Salamander_King likes this.
  3. NSXT

NSXT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    For me to carry extra dead weight (bigger battery) on a daily basis to/from work, Prime is lighter. Clarity for me was perfect based on the mileage I consume daily. It is pros and cons of the two for me. Yes it is a nice car and a very roomy backseats!

4. NSXT

NSXT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I forgot to quote this: "How much do you put in when you go to the gas station?"

So far I am filling up until it clicks. I did think about half tank to be more efficient and lighter but that will make me extra trips to the station :p

5. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Gotcha. Just curious. So it sounds like you’re getting a fair number of HV miles in addition to EV miles (not to suggest that that’s either good or bad)?

#25 mr88cet, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  6. Dael

Dael Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I posted this question elsewhere, I the range is 640 m/tank that includes a pre charged battery and battery charge during trip? How much would a charge during highway driving affect mileage?

7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One charge in a 600 mile tank? Not much in the mpg figure.

But on my last tank, which just had one small road trip of about 180 miles, I charged way over 100 times. Got over 265 mpg from that tank. Previous tank (last day of vacation trip) had no charge and got 56 mpg. With the Prime being designed to have EV range for most commutes and gas range for practically anything, it's the cumulative effect of all those charges that makes a big difference.

Prius from Dad likes this.
  8. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prime's EPA-estimated total driving range of 640 miles is based on 55 mpg on ICE with 11.3 gal in full tank +25 miles of EV from a single full charge before the trip. If you drive conservatively you can beat this easily.

As for the charging on the highway, do you mean using CHARGE mode or charging on a road at charge station? Charge mode use ICE thus gasoline to recharge the battery, The efficiency is never 100%. You will lose some range and milage. There are plenty of threads here discussing details on this subject. If you mean charging at a charge station, that would be the same thing as refueling at a gas station. Each full charge will give you ~25 miles of EV range, but for the matter of practicality, I don't see spending ~2 hours to fully recharge the battery using L2 EVSE viable solution for extending the range.

jerrymildred likes this.
  9. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Do they advertise 640, or is it 630?

630 is plausible based upon 11 gallons/tank * 55 miles/gallon + 25 miles on a battery charge.

FWIW, 55MPG is probably reasonable based upon in-city driving, including the 55-65MPH freeways and beltways in and around a city. However, open-highway mileage, driving 75MPH for long spans of time, I get quite a lot less than that — typically 50MPG or slight below that.

That being said though, I have pretty-concrete data for the high-speed, open-road MPG, but only limited data for in-town driving, since I usually drive EV in-town.

#29 mr88cet, Aug 31, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  10. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Ah, 11.3 gallons, not 11; gotcha...

benagi and Salamander_King like this.
  11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In Canada, it’s advertised as 600 miles (960km) on a tank even though are advertised AER and mpg are nearly identical.

(Using Toronto to Québec City or Vancouver to Calgary in one tank as markers in the TV ads)

That was updated to 646 miles (1,035km) for 2020.

12. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is FAQ from 2020 PRIME Toyota site. Now, while they do advertise 640-mile range, I have never seen the DTE (Distance to Empty) on my dash showing anything close this range right after fill up, even with a full charge left. That's because for the DTE calculation they don't use 11.3 gal as a full tank, but when the empty light first comes on. That is somewhere with 1.5-2 gal of gas still left int the tank.
    Screenshot 2019-08-31 at 9.17.08 PM.png IMG_20190831_163714.jpg

Dael likes this.
  13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's less than my Gen 3 lol. I have seen over 560 miles DTE on my Gen 3 (Granted, it was a slightly bigger tank)

Salamander_King likes this.
  14. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The pic was taken yesterday on Hwy after fill-up. I think I had about 30% charge left so only 15 miles of EV range. I don't usually pay much attention to DTE on the dash, so I had no idea that they fluctuate from fill up to fill up. I was doing over 75mph yesterday on Hwy with less than 50mpg on the tank. That may have reduced the DTE shown.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  15. mveras1972

mveras1972 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    How did you put together this graph? That is interesting.

Since I bought my 2017 Prime in May this year it always tops no more than 32 miles after every charge. I actually get less than that so that number to me is meaningless. My round trip to work is between 26 and 30 miles depending on which way I go, and by the time I get home, the battery charge is between 0% and 8%. It all depends on the specific route I take, how many assholes on the road, the traffic jams, how aggressive or not aggressive I drive, and many other factors. The mileage range when you begin driving does not take into account how many up hills you have to go through and how much power is regenerated from going downhill or braking. In one of my errands some times I take this highway that has a 700 foot drop in altitude. Driving down that hill generates about 8% charge on my Prime.

To me, the percentage means more, but I've observed some oddities: for instance, to go from 100% to 99% it takes much longer than to go from 99% to 98% when I start driving.

#35 mveras1972, Sep 1, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  16. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just from an Excell spreadsheet not directly from the car. I started taking note of GOM reading in the morning after overnight charging this spring with an aim to get to 40 miles EV range on GOM. This photo was taken this morning. I am very, very close!

IMG_20190901_102549.jpg

benagi and mveras1972 like this.
  17. mveras1972

mveras1972 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's pretty cool, Salamander. My 2017 Prime never goes over 32 for some reason. I notice from that picture that you drive in ECO mode. I started driving like that when I bought it and always had people honking the horn behind me :LOL:.... but I was trying to determine if that made any difference in the mileage range. I drove in ECO for about 3 weeks, then I switched to NORMAL for another 2 weeks and then to POWER mode. I have not noticed any difference in range. I have to admit driving in POWER mode gives a more satisfying acceleration feeling than NORMAL or ECO and I honestly don't see the cost in doing this as far as EV driving range, so I always drive in POWER mode now.

18. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have not done a comparison on the effect the different MODES (Eco, Normal, Power) has on the EV range, for I do Eco mode drive exclusively. For my routine commuting, I have very little occasions when I need quick accelerations. Very light traffic on rural roads with 30-50mph speed limits, no highway merging, no passing lanes, no traffic lights. That being said, if your routine driving allows you to drive your car with very little acceleration, I think it would give you more EV range regardless of what MODE you are on. If you need to get the car going quickly often, pushing hard on Eco mode or pushing lightly on Power mode to achieve the same rate of acceleration, yeah, you are not going to see any difference in EV range.

Far more than Mode you use, ambient temperature is the biggest factor affecting the EV range. @Prius from Dad has shown in a different thread, on his 36 miles commute. I can't find it now but the graph he created shows clearly warmer the ambient temperature more EV range you can get out from the full capacity battery. I wish I can try a similar experiment on mine, but my daily commute is 18 miles one way. To measure the actual EV range, I would have to use both morning and afternoon to deplete the battery to 0%. But in our region, the morning and afternoon temperature is usually more than 20-degree apart, making the analyses meaningless.

#38 Salamander_King, Sep 1, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    Prius from Dad likes this.
  19. Prius from Dad

Prius from Dad Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    @Salamander_King Here is the link to the chart:

Decreasing Mile Range | Page 2 | PriusChat

20. Salamander_King