1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV miles can be regenerated by PIP after EV depletion

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by CraigCSJ, May 27, 2012.

1. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I just had a very cool happenstance yesterday.
    It was hot as Hades... got up to 108 middle afternoon.
    I had errands to run out in the inland empire... so I hit the road to Ontario first @ 11am. I did my errand at ULINE and got back to the freeway on the 60, went to the 15 South to Corona (Tom's Farms) and spent some time there. I headed south to the 74 (Ortega HWY) home at about 2:30 and took the Ortega home... and midway thru the Ortega, I realized the EV light had popped up on the dash and said: 1.4 miles (huh?!) and I had not even plugged it in all day. It was drained when I left home Sun morning, forgot to plug 'er in night before)
    and I was on the curves with braking and downhill... and managed to get 8.6 miles with the AC on blasting, using absolutely zero gas. I had company in the car and we were both shocked, marveling at this, also watching to see if the red arrows popped up at all... and I calculated with the car's trip meter as my braking and downhill and curves managed to sustain my speeds and battery time. It felt like forever! It was cool.

john1701a and Andyprius # 1 like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it doesn't get any better than that! sometimes, i wish we had some hills.:cool:

3. cahaverl

cahaverl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but have you noticed that you can use cruise control going downhill? The cruise control will handle braking ( up to some limit of steepness ) and manage a steady recharge for you.

4. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That is one of the nice things about the Prius in general. With conventional cars, the cruise control only controls the throttle, so you will speed up going down a steep enough hill. The Prius can use regeneration to slow you down (and recover the energy). And the PiP has more battery capacity so it can do this to a greater extent.

5. Elcaminojoe

Elcaminojoe Junior Member

Something like the I-5 Grapevine would probably do it just fine.