1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV Miles estimate after Full Charge LOW

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Bill3888, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Bill3888

Bill3888 2012 vs 2006

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi - Got my PHV on May 10th, First charge showed an estimated range of 12.4. second charge showed 11.x. 3rd showed 10.x. Now and for the last three weeks it only shows 9.4!!!! Charging with 115v. Going to call dealer. Think I have some failed cells?? Any suggestions?? Don't think this is normal! Bill

2. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    What you describe is normal. It's all estimates. There doesn't seem to be a precise connection between the actual range and the estimated range. You are probably not running out of range before recharging. Here are some of my observations: whenever I have days where I have not used all of the range before charging, the estimated range is always less the next day. Conversely, whenever I'm able to get a long run off of a charge, the estimate is always greater the next day.

There are other threads on the PHEV forum regarding your observations.

3. bayarea99

bayarea99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Picked mine up on April 27. After first charge, showed 13.1. Now after two months shows 14.7 to 15.2. I'm still on my 2nd tank of gas with 2650 total miles since I picked it up. Current tank of gas with 5 bars, 1067 driven so far. Looks like either you have a lead foot or something is wrong.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bfd has it right. the important thing is, how far can you drive on ev?

5. Johnny_D

Johnny_D New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  6. Bill3888

Bill3888 2012 vs 2006

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I doubt it's normal . Just look at the next response. It only charges to 9.x regardless of full discharge or partial charge remaining. Dealer agrees and taking on in Monday.. I realize what you get and what it shows are estimates but they are estimates based on the state of charge of the batteries which are obviously not charging to capacity or there capacity has changed after the first charge. ie dead cells or programing.

SocialSuzy likes this.
  7. Bill3888

Bill3888 2012 vs 2006

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the information - exactly the opposite of my experience.

8. Bill3888

Bill3888 2012 vs 2006

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It isn't showing 9.x estimate and going 11 or 12 - It's going about 9.x depending on the situation. What does your full charge show for an estimate when fully charged? Every show just 9.4 or 9.5??

9. JamesCSmith

JamesCSmith New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Bayarea99 is the exception. Most people see the estimated EV range decline.

It is not based just on the battery charge. That is only part of the equation. The other part is how far you can go on each KWH of power. One example of this is turn the AC on and off and see how much it impacts the estimated EV range. Other variables include hills, outside temp, and how hard you tend to accelerate.

Some people drive 50 miles per gallon of gas and some drive 65 on that same gallon. EV range is the same way. Some people drive 15 miles on 2.5 kwh of power and some drive 8 miles on that same charge.

Turn off your AC and drive down hill. You will get 15 miles of EV range.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hey, if your dealer agrees there is something wrong, that's great. they usually blow you off and say it's normal. let's see what they come up with, let us know as soon as you hear, we're all anxious to know!

11. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I watched mine decline as I drove more on the highway in HV mode. It gave the impression capacity was somehow being lost each recharge. In reality, it was just the EV estimate value influenced by previous driving data. Now mine is up higher than ever, not having taken a long trip recently.

Actual EV driving distance hasn't actually change. It's been consistent throughout, despite the estimate going up & down.

It reminds me of the reaction Prius owners had throughout the Iconic years. When the battery-level dropped to 2 bars, that change to pink on the screen made them panic. They truly thought something was wrong. A few even took desperate measures, not realizing that was perfectly normal. Everything is fine. They certainly don't feel that way seeing it though.

This is unquestionably the "panic" situation for new PHV owners.

12. Bill3888

Bill3888 2012 vs 2006

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Listen people I'm talking about how far it actually goes in EV, uphill downhill etc is all irrelevant. I'm only talking about the estimated EV range after a full charge. That is a direct indication of battery charge and maybe temperature. Nothing else. If the estimate is very close to the actual milage I get on EV depending of course on road conditions ie hill's ac on or off etc etc. MY Problem is the low estimate after a FULL CHARGE not what it actually gets!! Now for your information I leave the house on a level street for about 300 ft. Turn to a downhill for about 2 miles. at the end of the downhill it is very close or at my former full charge of an estimate of 9.6 miles in EV . I have tryed and can't get it above the 9.6 going downhill!! Something is wrong with the capacity of these batteries or the charging controls.

SocialSuzy likes this.
  13. Bill3888

Bill3888 2012 vs 2006

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Forget all the real range in EV mode stuff and answer this for a full change estimate --
    What has your lowest estimate of EV range been for your car after a full charge????
    What is your normal EV estimate after a full charge?

Nothing to do with what you actually get, just the initial estimate!!

SocialSuzy likes this.
  14. usdmattiphone

usdmattiphone Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The number is NOT a direct relation to full charge. If you go up a hill it takes more KWH to go up that hill therefore if you always go up a hill for 6 miles a day, you're likely going to have an extremely low EV miles estimate even at a full charge. When I got my car it was at 13.3. then 12 then 11.9 11.6, and all the way down to 9.6. But then i started to drive more efficiently, engage the engine going up hills and use the EV at lower speeds, and now my estimated range is back up to 11.9 miles. You have to understand the full charge miles is NOT an absolute measure, but instead the result of an algorithm based on driving habits. If you had something like a scangauge that measured total KWH or State of Charge of the battery, THEN you could say THAT was an absolute representation, but the miles ARE NOT.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hi bill3888, did you take your car in yesterday? i'm curious to find out what they say. you sound frustrated and i completely understand, this is all very confusing! i hope they can repair it for you, all the best!

16. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The estimated range is NOT a measure of your battery capacity, it is an estimate of your range based upon your prior driving behavior history. If you drive more conservatively, the estimated range will go up. If you drive aggressively, the range estimate will go down.

Either way, the total charge (kWh) of the battery is identical. It is even theoretically possible to see that range estimate go up with a pack that is not accepting full charge if you drive really conservatively.

17. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You know, it's too bad that there is not a kWh "gauge" right next to the estimated range readout. That would be more explanatory I think. Then people would know that they have a full 15kWh charge, but that their range is lower b/c of driving habits instead of worrying that it's a measure of capacity (which it is not).

18. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I think you mean 2.8 kWh charge, assuming you are talking about the Prius Plug-in.

19. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Unforunately, a kWh gauge wouldn't work either.

14.1 miles had been my record EV distance until recently, when the hot summer mornings arrived.

Although the EV estimate stated 13.7 miles yesterday, I actually traveled 15 miles of EV with 2 miles remaining when I arrived at work. It was 84°F degrees that morning, quite a bit higher than the usual mid-60's.

Today, it was 77°F and I was curious as heck how far I'd be able to travel in EV. So, I refrained from the usual HV button push to warm-up the engine during the most efficient portion of my drive. 17.2 miles later, I was in the parking ramp with 0.3 miles of EV still left. The entire commute was with electricity, even though the EV estimate stated only 13.7 miles were available.

In short, YEVWV is the new term we'll have to learn to accept. Your EV Will Vary, based upon acceleration demand, cabin comfort, window clearing, and outside temperature. There's simply no way to accurately depict expectations.

20. Bill3888

Bill3888 2012 vs 2006

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Using your logic my estimated EV range should be much higher since the majority of my trips start off down hill. It's been since May 10th when I got the car and after a few days (during which I averaged about 65 to 70 MPG overall) the range estimate varies between 9.4 to 9.7. NEVER higher or LOWER. My driving habits match yours, hv or eco on hills and freeways, ev on level and downhill. NOTHING HAS CHANGED IN 45 days regardless of charge state at beginning of charge, depleted or 7 miles remaining still estimates only 9.7 at the most after full charge.