1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV Miles increase.

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by ed4271, Jun 26, 2019.

1. ed4271

ed4271 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I live in Upstate New York where the weather varies from season to season. In the winter time I usually get maybe 23 EV miles. Now I noticed I'm getting 36 EV miles. I noticed also what I'm more efficient driving my miles do increase when I finished charging. I know batteries do better in warm weather but if Toyota has stated that the batteries to get 35 miles I would have got a better federal tax credit. 20190626_084810.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I believe the rebates are tied to battery capacity in Killowatt Hours not miles.

jmarkd7, noonm and Prius from Dad like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the miles stated are from the epa test, not toyota

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tax credit is based on battery capacity.

jmarkd7 likes this.
  5. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Llithium batteries have less performance loss when cold than do lead acid batteries. In cold weather you are using the heat pump more, the seat heaters, maybe more lights, maybe driving over and compressing snow. The lubricants in all the running gear are thicker when cold, thus more losses here.

6. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    You would have received the same credit, for the 8.8 KWh installed battery capacity. The credit is based on battery capacity.

7. jmarkd7

jmarkd7 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Seems like 70-75 is the optimal temp for the batteries. If it’s hotter, my initial range is ~32. Otherwise it’s 33-34 in the warm months.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Separate from what others have stated (credit is not based on miles), note that car makers cannot legally advertise non-EPA EV ranges and MPGs.

Your 35 miles is based on a gentler route than the EPA drive cycle and conditions , just as my 76 MPG trip on my 2010 Prius was also based on a easier, gentler route. But those are not standardized EPA conditions, thus not comparable to anything else and therefore banned from the advertising.

ed4271 likes this.
  9. ed4271

ed4271 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
  10. E-GINO

E-GINO Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    So far the one below is my maximum recorded mileage extimation (hot days here!)
    Of course with A/C and ventilation switched off (and windows fully opened..)
    Img_1459_cr.jpg

drash and Tideland Prius like this.
  11. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My 17 is now starting each morning at 23.1 in NH, I'd like to see 36, saw 33 this spring, anyone with any idea about this discrepency (36-23) I'd love to hear an opinion.
    Anyway, toyota states an average that will win if challenged in Federal court.

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not at all. They state the result of an EPA-mandated standardized test, which doesn't really match how much of anyone actually drives. Though the EPA has been rolling in adjustments over the years to make it less 'optimistic' compared to how typical people drive, which in turn has becoming continually faster and more aggressive since the national 55 MPH speed limit was abolished.

Of course, many of the car makers 'fudge' the tests as far as they can, but the available room for that in the U.S. is limited. Euro tests have historically had significantly more room for such 'fudging'.

13. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you using AC? What is your monthly miles/kWh average looks like from your eco diary?

14. ed4271

ed4271 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It depends how efficient you drive. I know it sounds strange but when I am driving on the highway I set my speed control to 50 miles per hour in a 55. I drive with the B on so regenerative braking a lot more. I know it sounds strange but I drive with my windows open and don't use the AC. That's because winter is long up here it is always cold so why do I want the AC on to make me feel like it's winter time. Only when it's unbearable do I use the AC. But I still managed to get decent EV miles.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Prius from Dad likes this.