1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV Mod kit in 2022.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Hoonetic, Feb 25, 2022.

1. Hoonetic

Hoonetic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hello there!

I recently picked up a 2008 Prius which has been working great. It’s my first hybrid car so it’s fun to learn about the technology. I was looking for a place I can still order the EV mod which used to be sold at CoastalTech many years ago. Unfortunately, they do t even sell it anymore.

Does anyone know where I can buy one in this day and age? Even Radio shack is hard to find these days.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. JahT

JahT Member

With an older Prius it may not be a good idea since the could stress out the hybrid battery. You might be fine if it is just to back out of the driveway or move short distances. In my experience in a 2008 even just running your car in Neutral will tend to send a warning for the hybrid battery protection as it doesn't charge in Neutral, but does in Park.

Here is a DIY tutorial:
    http://www.eaa-phev.org/wiki/images/0/09/Prius-evbutton-install.pdf

Here may be a place still selling a kit for $30:
    Ev (Electric Vehicle) Mode switch for Prius 2004 - 2009

SFO, bisco and Hoonetic like this.
  3. JahT

JahT Member

duplicate post

4. Hoonetic

Hoonetic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I appreciate your post. Thank you!

5. Hoonetic

Hoonetic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have new, not refurbished, HV batteries for my 2008, so I started looking again for a kit like what CoastalTech used to sell. Unfortunately, no one sells them anymore. I'm following the original How-To PDF by Evan Fusco and it looks simple enough to do. There's just something I'm not clear on.

I will be using an SPST momentary button, so based on the How-To, I will be connecting the wire to Pin 27 on the HV ECU connector, but not sure about the other wire. Is it another wire that's spliced/tapped into pin 1 (black/white) that's connected to the momentary switch? Since Pin 1 is ground, can't I just ground the switch to something closer to the switch?

Any info would be appreciated.! Thanks!

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh boy. The posters that would know this stuff haven't posted in a while. Maybe @hobbit might know or @tochatihu

Hoonetic likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    any on ebay or craigs list?

8. Hoonetic

Hoonetic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I actually prefer the original mod because it used the momentary switch rather than the cruise control that CoastalTech used. Maybe I can look for that Euro/JDM EV Mode switch on Ebay. :)

bisco likes this.
  9. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did this mod several years ago on my 2005. As noted, it's not terribly useful, but it is clever and sometimes it's nice to be able to move the car to another parking spot without the ICE coming on.

The author of the instructions used a two conductor wire (as I did in my project), running the wire from the push button to the ECU so both connections are on the ECU plug. You could run a single wire to the ECU and a different one to a good ground near the push button, but it's cleaner and might be more reliable to have that ground point close to what you're grounding to prevent any loose ground conductivity between the ECU and the remote ground point from keeping the button from pulling pin 27 all the way to zero volts.

One more thing; I didn't have an anti-bounce push button so used a regular momentary contact push button. Quite often, it didn't work because the contacts would bounce and the car would see it as two pushes on the button instead of one. Your best results will be with an anti-bounce button.

And remember that driving in EV will reduce your MPG and the lifetime of your hybrid battery. Use it only for moving the car a few feet without running the ICE.

Hoonetic likes this.
  10. Hoonetic

Hoonetic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    This is the confirmation I needed. Ever since I bought the 2008 Prius a couple of months ago, I've been having a lot of fun working on it. Since I have brand new traction batteries, I figured, just like you, that it would be a fun little project.

I have to check what this "anti-bounce" button is. :)

Thank you very much, @jerrymildred :)

jerrymildred likes this.
  11. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    #11 jerrymildred, Apr 17, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
    Hoonetic likes this.
  12. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Wow, I would've thought that there would be a number of no-bounch switches for sale. Especially with all of the Raspberry-Pi and Arduino microcontrollers development systems out there. Btw, the ~$50 Raspberry-Pi boards can run Linux (what Android and Apple are based on), and even Windows (since it's an ARM processor - like the ones used in cell phones, Chrome-books).

Here is a switch no-bounce switch (/circuit) that is ~$15 with S&H:
    https://www.logiswitch.com/shop/nobounce-switches/pushbutton-switches/ls-6-s/?attribute_color=Red

LS-6-S 6mm NoBounce Pushbutton Switch – Screw Terminal Connector
    $7.30
    Comes with three separate clean, debounced outputs, including two momentary selections: Normally High (low when pressed) or Normally Low/Handshake NL/HS (high when pressed) (see User Guide) and a Toggle (push on-push off) output. Toggle changes state each time the switch is actuated.

I would not recommend using a simple "RC" circuit.
    There are many issues that can happen with an output like that.
    I doubt that the input to the controller is specifically designed to handle an "analog" input. With the slow rise time of an "RC" circuit, the time that the voltage is between "on" and "off" voltages is "massively long" (in circuit terms). That can/does cause high currents on the input buffer. Over time, the input buffer will fail.
    How long? Hard to say. Maybe the first time, maybe it'll last for millions of cycles. Imho, it's similar to asking how long a tire low on pressure will last - literally hundreds of factors.

I'm still surprised that I couldn't find a lot of these types of switches/circuits available from China.

Here seems like a decent quick look through:
    Debouncing Contacts and Switches

Imho, the following graph of test results using various switches is likely the most useful thing for non-techies:
    http://www.ganssle.com/images/debouncetimes.jpg

Good Luck!

#12 prius16, Apr 17, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
    Hoonetic and jerrymildred like this.
  13. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  14. Hoonetic

Hoonetic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Wow! You guys are the best!

@prius16 Thank you for posting some links because I wouldn't have known what to look for. :)

15. Hoonetic

Hoonetic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    If I use that NoBounce Pushbutton, which output should I use?

The Toggle (push on-push off) output is what I need to use, right?

#15 Hoonetic, Apr 18, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
  16. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, the ECU is looking for a momentary contact closure. Just a pulse from the 12V on pin 27 to the 0V on pin one. As soon as you release, it needs to return to 12V. Then, to take it out of EV, do the same thing.