1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV mode at every stop

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by dnstommy, Jul 7, 2012.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I JUST told you that I get those numbers driving normally and not while hypermiling. What is wrong with you?

2. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    We really need to see if we can get a mod to lock this thread down. Intelligent people will keep telling him it isn't the best method and he will keep "knowing" that it is the best method. So the longer this thread is open the more time will be wasted. Including mine. :/

3. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What's wrong with me is I read your posts. I doubt your idea of "driving normally" is anywhere near my idea of driving normally. Nothing wrong with that, hypermiling is a great hobby.

Not sure what your point is, discouraging normal drivers like myself from using EV Mode at stops to get excellent mileage of 54-56 mpg because a hyper miler like yourself gets 62.14159 mpg without it?

4. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Dude, my wife who knows nothing about hypermiling and drives not the smartest gets 52 mpg. You have yet to show us any pictures confirming you get mid 50's. Please produce pictures.

5. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Exactly my point. Normal drivers using the EV mode can get that up to 54-56 mpg.

As for the 60 mpg results, that requires the hypermiling techniques which is perfectly fine but claiming one is getting 60 mpg "driving normally" is not credible or Toyota would have an EPA rating of 60 mpg vs. 50 mpg.

6. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you given other examples of people that are getting "56" by using EV mode that aren't you...who have yet to produce pictures.
    Many other threads have debunked EPA testing guidelines. I can drive "normally" and get 60+ as well.

What do you do for a living and where do you live? Those facts may get us a little more to the heart of why you are like you are. ;)

7. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The author of the thread and others who have tried the EV mode at stops.

Even ubber hyper miler, our own "100 degress in the sun F8L" uses it to boost mileage. Are you saying that using EV mode at stops does not increase mileage?

8. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm saying going up to 25 mph in EV will actually diminish FE.

You have consistently dodged the request for pics of your mileage.

Also, you just dodged where you are from and what you do for a living.

9. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Doesn't seem to be true in actual operations of people in this topic nor in how Toyota engineered the car (with EV button) or as noted in operator's manual (no warning on reduced mileage) nor in how electric motors and gas engines work in cars.

Electric motors are perfect for using during high torque requirement of standing starts vs. gasoline engines because the electric motors have almost instantaneous high torque production while gasoline engines have a more bell shaped torque curve. It's why in engine mode you see mpg go to near zero mpg on starts and then rises as the car gets moving.

Using car's stored electrical energy via EV mode, the high torque part of the operation, would seem to be a very efficient use of car's energy and should show an increase in mpg which it appears do for those who use it.

10. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    No, I don't believe anyone has shown proof that it helps their FE in this thread. Show me examples...because I have more proof than you will ever have.

11. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Let it go, bru. The guy loves to argue based on assumptions instead of results. He obviously doesn't know enough to really produce quality data or weed out issues like commute conditions and terrain so whatever. I'm moving on now.

12. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Ya, I will try, too. I will talk to a mod to see if we can get this thread locked down.

13. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What? Pictures of the dashboard display? That's not proof of anything. Other than some controlled experiment like EPA mileage tests, no one has any "proof" of anything other than anecdotes.

Several people have noted that using EV mode at stops seems to increase their mpg. Seems plausible for many reasons, the high torque demands of standing starts, electric motor high torque characteristics, low initial torque of gasoline engines, laws of inertia, Toyota engineering the EV Mode button and operations into the car, how the EV mode works in use.

14. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I know more than "several" people that will tell you going in EV up to 25 will hurt MPG.

I don't have proof I did a 74 mpg (800 mile) tank? Because a picture would argue otherwise.

15. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Only people who don't use EV Mode because they think it will hurt MPG which leaves them outside looking in.

All evidence points to EV Mode increasing MPG. Nature of high torque traction motors. Nature of low initial torque gasoline engines. Laws of inertia and conservation of energy. Toyota engineering of Prius putting in EV Mode switch to increase mpg. Anecdotal mpg results of those who use EV Mode.

Even your own theory that it is a marketing ploy to get people to buy Plug-in-Prius. In your marketing ubber alles scenario if the EV Mode decreased MPG people would use it and NOT want to buy PIP's. If the EV Mode increased MPG people would like it and consider buying a PIP.

16. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Haha, I should have listened to F8L long ago and quit this. So hopeless. Oh well. Take care.

17. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Sigh, I don't know why I'm taking the bait, but...

Page 170 of the 2010 Prius Owners Manual, in the EV-Drive Mode section.

GasperG and markabele like this.
  18. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    macman, bravo !

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For those still watching this thread I will post direct quotes in case you didn't follow my links earlier. :)

Wayne G.
    "___Any acceleration from 0 mph and you will want to use EV up to about 17 mph. Only about 15 mph in the Prius-II as the ICE trying to pull you up is pulling a horrifically low number from 0 to that low a speed. At ~ 17 mph, I forcefully light off the ICE with a firm step into the pedal and than back off to allow the RPM’s to stay below 1,500 if traffic allows. I was using 35 as a target but solid glides can start at anything below 42. The lower the better of course so work with whatever traffic allows using the traffic techniques you should be very familiar with " ~ 2010 Prius-III P&G, SHM and WS FE techniques rehashed, defined and refined - CleanMPG Forums

More discussion
    Delay ICE fire until after 15mph? (Prius) - Page 2 - CleanMPG Forums

markabele likes this.
  20. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You do understand the there is PSD between ICE and wheels. The PSD enables ICE to run for eg. at 1,500 rpm producing 80 Nm of torque with car not moving an inch (MG1 feeding Battery) if MG1 feeds MG2 than you have your instant electric torque from ICE directly, running at 1,500 rpm no need for battery.

Another thing about torque that I doubt you understand is when you convert 80 Nm at 1,500 rpm with normal transmission (gears) to 500 rpm you get 240 Nm of torque. Lower rpm higher torque. When people talk of high torque (eg. diesel engines) they actually mean high power at low rpm.

At very low speeds (5-10 mph) 13 kW power from ICE would be too much for normal acceleration. I think from here came the idea to first accelerate with battery, but in no way is forcing EV with button and accelerating with only battery to high speed good for your MPG.