1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV mode at every stop

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by dnstommy, Jul 7, 2012.

1. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So don't use the ECO button or any of those hypermiling techniques, just drive the car normally...chuckle.

Not to worry. We use the EV mode just as much as necessary to get great mileage 56-58 mpg while driving normally in comfort.

Even the hypermiling guru says use it to 18 mph though it is unclear whether he is using the EV mode button or just extremely slow starts that use just the electric motor.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Another quote from the pro.

In response to Dennis from this comment:

Source:Delay ICE fire until after 15mph? (Prius) - CleanMPG Forums

Again, if you want to learn how to do it right then go see what the experts have to say at CleanMPG.com

markabele likes this.
  3. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Wish I could 'like' this more than once.

4. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually it doesn't matter if the Pope or the Toyota Prius lead engineer came on here. Approximation Son will still say he will use it so he can drive "comfortably" and "normally."

5. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After reading this thread with interest, I tried experimenting with the EV on my daily commute. Round trip is 43 miles with 16 lights and 3 stops sign each way. Using the EV button, I typically can get up to 25 mph fast enough without holding up traffic before the ICE kicks in. I was able to raise my overall mpgs by 2 mpg - especially good since I've struggled to keep it over 50 mpg with A/C use in our hot, humid weather. I filled up on my way home yesterday so I will see how it works on my first full tank and report back. I wish the EV button was located on the steering wheel for convenience though.

BTW, I tried the "shifting into neutral" glides and don't like doing it unless I have little or no traffic around me. I like how the Prius will just keep rolling along, but I don't like using brakes when needed due to lack of regen. Also not sure about constantly shifting in and out neutral while the care is moving - I wonder what kind of stress it creates on the transmission and tranaxle?

6. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's my experience also. Seems to give a 2 mpg boost over a tank.

7. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The owner's manual is laughable now that someone found a reference contrary to your claim, but you yourself were happy to reference it earlier when you believed it supported your claim by omission? IMO, I'd have just let that one go lol.

8. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Actually you have it backwards. You were quoting the manual but what you quoted advising NOT to use hypermiling since, according to your new bible "best possible mileage" is from using the car in Normal mode.

As far as EV Mode, it simply said don't over do it which is impossible since Toyota has engineered in the limits on power uses, speed and battery condition. The car will tell you when you can use EV modee. It does increase mpg. Life is good.

9. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Confirmation bias - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

10. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know I'm getting old, but I don't recall quoting the manual at all, or even having looked at it recently. And what bible is it I'm reading? You lost me there, too. All I'm saying is if you were trying to credibly debate an issue for which there is little solid evidence either way, avoiding a flip-flop on the one printed resource that exists was probably a good idea.

So now you say that Toyota is claiming the impossible in regard to their cars? While amusing in the sense political campaign speeches are amusing, I'm thinking you should be debating Toyota on the merits of EV mode, rather than PC. If true, they'll get a free mpg boost for their hybrids that has eluded them for a decade and you'll be redeemed. Feel free to further amuse by posting your persuasive letter to Toyota, as well as their response. . .

11. Tim Bender

Tim Bender Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  12. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What owner's manual were you referring to?

13. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You lost me again. What you quoted is not only completely out of context, but it's not a quote from the owner's manual. Do you have a point here, or just trolling by claiming I wrote something that I did not?

14. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I didn't quote the owners manual at all. Someone else found a buried generic comment about driving in Normal mode for highest mileage which also noted to use EV Mode in moderation. They quoted the manual (the one you referred to in your comment to me) as a reason not to use EV Mode. But the gist of the manual comment would preclude using ANY hypermiling techniques which showed how generic and irrelevant the manual (the one you referred to in your comment to me) was in regard to how to use the EV Mode function that Toyota designed and built into the Prius III.

15. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I warned you..... :LOL:

markabele likes this.
  16. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Doh, I overlooked the memo. I guess I don't participate in enough threads here ;-) The discussion itself seemed plausible, at least until the contradictions, intentional misquotes and impossible-to-follow reasoning started.

As a deaf sage once wrote, "Won't get fooled again..."

17. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Update. I used EV mode from stop lights/signs on my daily commute, with A/C use consistent (as in full time use) with the previous tank. Last tank was at 49.2 mpg calculated, and the fill-up I did today came in at 51.5. I used EV mode primarily to get up to 25 mph before the ICE kicked in, but sometimes would only get up to 15 - 18 mph depending on traffic. I'd say it's an initial success but will keep at it. I am particularly interested how much my mpg's will go up this fall when I don't have to use A/C as often.

ProximalSuns likes this.