1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV mode at every stop

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by dnstommy, Jul 7, 2012.

1. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Putting car in EV and ECO mode and pulling away from a light on all EV is reasonable acceleration. Try it. See how fast you can go. It's poor man's EV and I'm glad Prius put in that button. Getting the car going from stop to 25mph is takes the most energy in daily driving so it will give a big boost to fuel mileage, as the pure EV does.

2. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I will give that a shot. I always assumed that EV mode expires when you cross the center line like the automatic EV function.
    I am coming from a manual transmission. My right hand needs something to do. :LOL:

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How much of a boost does it give compared to Wayne's lower EV->gas threshold speed?

4. dnstommy

dnstommy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I fully agree. I can get to 25 MPH at a reasonable rate with traffic and then I'm able to control the fuel used to get me from 25 to my needed speed (usually 55ish). I find I get great MPG when I dont have to use heavy throttle to get me from 0-whatever. Usually I am running my iMPG at 5-10 when accelerating from a stop.

And for those who don't know, in EV Drive Mode (button) you can run the ECO gauge all the way into power with EV only. It allows a lot of acceleration.

I just wish the car did the EV button for me (reason for the thread). But maybe using the EV that much puts to much stress on the electric motor.

Thanks all

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    More likely it is stress on the battery, and lack of mpg increase. MG2 gets much of that stress whether you take off in EV mode or gas mode.

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Fuzzy, I am thinking there is a reason Wayne doesn't go all the way to 25mph. It could be that by 15mph ICE power is more efficient and/or battery power is too expensive beyond that point when used for shear acceleration. I couldn't get an answer for it on the other forum so I may just send Wayne a FB message. If I get an answer I will report back.

My thought is you expend more energy going up to 25mph than you can recover during your next braking cycle. FWIW I have been using this technique a bit and it seems more efficient but I cannot claim any real gains yet. I did pull off a 71.5mpg trip over 48miles today using this technique at most of my stops. Driving at 50-60mph on the rural roads and highways helped a lot too. ;)

It's kind of amazing what these cars can do when driven carefully and on flat land. 71.5mpg over 48miles.jpg

7. dnstommy

dnstommy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You guys know more about this than I do. I would assume that running in EV mode and enjoying using all the EV power is counter productive because the engine is now going to use the ICE to charge the battery back up, thus giving the mileage back?

I see in the Wayne Gerdes video that he has the lady run on EV till about 16 then run the ICE from there. Running EV without EV Drive Mode uses much less battery since you are using so little. Thus just using the brakes will recharge the battery.

I will have to do an investigation on my own on how the EV vs EV Drive Mode effects my mileage.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm thinking in the very same direction as you. Wayne has a better feel for this than the great majority of we normal mortals.
    I'm also amazed at what it can do even on hills. This one was a round trip, a mere month into hybrid ownership. Zero net climb, but 3000+ feet gross climb and even some downhill engine braking. But only a handful of stops:
    [​IMG]
    Since then, a few round trip commutes half that distance with more stops, a couple thousand feet gross climb, and a ten hour engine cooling stop in the middle, have reached 76 mpg. Unfortunately, no pics.

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :bow

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you did yours at 50 mph, you don't need to bow. Mine as slower.

11. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I did 50mph on the rural roads and 60mph on the highway which was maybe 50% of each. Don't mind my time. I stopped at a couple places in town and didn't turn the car off while I ran inside to grab parts and a bottle of water. Regardless, your numbers are impressive. How many Prius owners can claim the same? How many ANY car owners can claim the same? Oh yeah, there are still a few Insight I's running around. :p

12. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It will usually go all the way up just don't let it get to red area or it kicks on the engine. Its not jack rabbit start but it is reasonable, no one should be lock and loading in back of you.

13. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not likely or they wouldn't put the button there at all.
    Not likely as that is the same principle as the EV Prius just 1 mile battery range vs. 11 mile.

Most likely is they wanted to give drivers a choice on operations. They default to REGULAR and ECO mode. ECO is the only "sticky" mode of the three buttons, EV, ECO and PWR, such that if you put it in ECO, the car stays there during car on/off cycles. PWR and EV, the two extremes both require user intervention, a default to off when during car on/off cycles.

As little EVa would say.

14. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One of the things he recommends is putting the car in neutral to save gas while coasting/gliding whatever. You'll never see me doing that with my Prius no matter what it costs me in mpg.

Hey Wayne "Don't get caught coasting with your car in neutral in Pa. it's illegal as you " don't have your car under control."

If you have an accident make sure you put the car back in drive when the cops get there.

He's so twitchy I couldn't stand having him in the seat next to me. He seems very adept at getting the most mpg but better yet at pissing off the people behind him.

:eek:

15. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I wonder if that would be recorded somewhere in the car, its state when crash occurred.

One of the nice things about EV starts is it is reasonable acceleration and doesn't piss off drivers in back of you. I wonder how different EV/ECO starts are in the regular Prius vs. the PIP? I'm guessing if you try to accelerate hard enough in the PIP it triggers engine assist.

16. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Toyota was able to recover all sorts of black box data off the white hair old dude (James Sikes?)'s car when his gen II supposedly ran away and had to be chased down by CHiP.

17. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wayne does not recommend putting the car in neutral as a technique. He clearly states he is using neutral now but the driver will soon be using their right foot to simulate what he is currently doing with a shift into neutral. With so much to teach in such a short amount of time there is now way to teach gliding techniques effectively any other way.

18. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    He isn't actually recommending this. It is just a simple method of gliding for demonstration purposes; he says you should do this with your right foot. You never have to put your Prius in neutral.

The Prius doesn't have any way of disconnecting the engine and transmission from the wheels. It is ALWAYS 'under control'.

19. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I assume Wayne's 16 mph threshold is empirical, but he has enough experience and data to get good results. From a theoretical standpoint, what happens is the interaction of two efficiency curves. EV pays a heavy price in electrical and chemical conversion losses, while the ICE is forced to heavily use the series hybrid electrical path at low speeds. If you plot these two efficiency curves and look for the best transition speed, you are going to get something very close to what Wayne recommends.

Tom

fuzzy1 likes this.
  20. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Much more. You can even push it into the red zone accelerating away from a light in EV/ECO mode.