1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV Mode in Normal Drive

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Sumedha, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Sumedha

Sumedha Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am new to the Prius experience as I just bought by 2013 Prius 3 last week. I have a question on the EV mode and how it works when I am in normal drive.

This is something I observed when I am driving and I wanted to check whether it's normal.

When I am accelerating, vehicle is in EV mode and the progress bar is green. As soon as it pass the separator in the hybrid indicator (it turns white), the EV mode light turns off. When I hit the brakes, speed goes down with the acceleration and the progress bar goes back towards the green side. However my EV mode light does not turn on until I go way too close to the charging section of the bar. Once it's enabled, it stays in EV mode (green) until I pass the separator again.

Is this normal ?

2. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. Search you tube for video info.

Sumedha likes this.
  3. Sumedha

Sumedha Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was looking. Couldn't find anything for a 2012 model. :(

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The EV mode light comes on whenever the engine shuts down. If you don't have an RPM readout it's your only way of knowing the engine is not running. The engine will shut down when it's not needed and your speed is below a certain value. Above that speed it is turned by electricity to ensure MG1 doesn't overspeed.

Don't confuse the EV mode light with selecting EV mode with a button press. They are similar but different. ;)

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it is normal, is that your only question?

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There are actually two "EV" modes.

The one invoked via the button offers more power, but has a slower maximum speed.

The one that's automatic has less power, but offers a faster maximum speed.

7. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have information to prove these two statements ????? From the information I've been able to find,
    they don't have any "POWER" changing capability. Only EV functional characteristic changes.

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The difference is obvious. Just watch the meter on the screen.
    [​IMG]

With EV (pushing the button), you can go into the WHITE zone and the top speed is 25 mph.

With STEALTH (automatic EV), you're limited the GREEN zone but the top speed is 46 mph.

9. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a different design than my C. I see what you're talking about. Thanks!

10. Sumedha

Sumedha Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks everyone.

Just needed to make sure that mine is not different. I remember seeing the EV indicator (not the EV mode) turning on as soon as I go back pass the separator.

11. FroggyTaco

FroggyTaco Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two

The 25MPH "limit" in "EV" mode is a product of HV battery capacity. The pack can only supply so much "power" when accelerating. You need "more" power accelerating versus maintaining speed.

The 46MPH "limit" is a product of gearing interaction/relationship between MG1/MG2/Engine.

The ability to be in EV mode at say 40MPH would most likely be because the road has a slight downgrade and thus the power/energy requirement is less than what the power/energy requirement would be accelerating to 30MPH.

The plug-in Prius can go 62MPH in EV mode because it has a much larger HV battery that can provide a lot more current which translate into more usable horsepower to accelerate to higher speeds(62MPH).

Travis

12. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius plug-in's main reason for 62 MPH is the new power split devise with the motor speed reduction gear set design. It allows higher vehicle speed without forcing MG1 to over run like the old fixed design.

Watch this video for a better understanding.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  13. FroggyTaco

FroggyTaco Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The 2012+ Prius models have a slight design change that allows all of them to potentially be electric only. My 2013 II sometimes goes in EV mode at highway speeds. It doesn't do it often but it freaked me out when it first happened.

Travis

14. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    . Great video! Thank You.

15. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If you have a nuvi sitting around you can buy an accessory to make it display this info:

[​IMG]

16. joerockt

joerockt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Interesting, never knew this. So if your accelerating to 46 mph and you just happen to go into the white at lets say 30 mph and then drop back to the green zone, does that cancel your EV run to 46 mph?

17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    EV will end, as the engine joins in, then resume seconds later.

With the PSD (Power Split Device) being able to fire up the engine for just a moment of extra power and shut off immediately following that is simple matter, taken advantage of many many times as you drive. It's a fundamental part of the design. The system seeks out efficiency opportunities, even those quite brief.

You'll see the energy flow changing frequently. It's not just the engine going on & off. The battery gets recharged from both braking and engine running.

joerockt likes this.
  18. joerockt

joerockt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Got it. So if I do a run to 40 in the white, keep it under 46 and drop to green I should get into EV mode correct?

19. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The speed threshold varies a bit. Sometimes, you have to get down to 42 mph for the system to shut the engine off. But then when it does, you can increase speed up to 46 without slipping out of EV.

The plug-in model isn't as picky. Since it has more battery capacity & power available, the 62 mph threshold is easier to hit. But then again, you typically don't want to use up EV that way. The ideal is suburb driving, just like the regular model Prius.

joerockt likes this.
  20. joerockt

joerockt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So bottom line, Green Zone + Under 46 mph + adequate battery capacity = EV mode