1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV Mode Options

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by santoro1, Oct 16, 2006.

1. santoro1

santoro1 New Member

I know there are tons of entries regarding EV mode. I am interested in putting EV mode in my O6. While I have spent hours reading different threads, the more I read the more I get confused as to what would be the best method to do..The three that I have seen so far include the factory EV button, efusco's radio shak button, the flasher method, and the cruise control. Can anyone list the pros and cons of each of these methods in this one location. Specifically ease of installation, ease of use, amount of problems with each. Im am getting dizzy going back and forth..Just when I am ready to pull the the trigger on one, I read another thread that says that method was horrible,etc etc. Thanks for all your help.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ajs @ Oct 16 2006, 01:52 PM) [snapback]333508[/snapback]</div>
    Obviously I listed 4, but the forum says do not edit posts......

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Coastal Cruise control mod is the easiest to install.
    The rest are pretty much a wash for ease/difficulty.

The OEM button is, IMO, the most convenient, cleanest and best looking (ie most OEM looking) install. It responds immediately (as opposed to the 2 second delay w/the Cruise control). Also, it's easier to hit while you're turning or when the wheel is turned b/c the CC stalk turns with the steering wheel.

Headlight flasher is pretty instantaneous but has the drawback of flashing everyone briefly when you engage.

The RadioShack button is just like the OEM except you have to find somewhere to install the button and that can mean cutting/drilling a hole in the dash, in one of the blank plugs, etc.

The final advantage of the CC and Flasher mods that some people (not me) think is important is that they are 'invisible'. Unless someone physically looks at your ECU for that pin in the #27 slot they won't know it's there. Thus, they're also easy to 'reverse'. Should you have a battery or ECU failure and don't want to risk having the EV mod blamed you can remove them quickly and easily.

I think that's a non-issue, others will disagree.

3. santoro1

santoro1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 16 2006, 04:12 PM) [snapback]333643[/snapback]</div>
    Evan, thanks for your reply..

4. chich2000

chich2000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ajs @ Oct 16 2006, 01:53 PM) [snapback]333508[/snapback]</div>
    First I installed the coastal tech version (CC) I didn't like it because of the delay and was not convenient and not always reliable. It didn't always go into ev. Second time I went with radio shack it was great but the button was too small for me. It is easier to use than CC, it engages faster, and always stays put so it is ealier to find . Third time I went to OEM button I like much better than the radio shack button because it has the cool EV light on it, it is a larger button, and since it lighted is alot easier to see when it's dark out, plus it has a cleaner look. Oh and also dims with the instrument panel very cool.

5. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ajs @ Oct 16 2006, 08:53 AM) [snapback]333508[/snapback]</div>
    I am partial to the Radio Shack switch method since I did that. I explained it here just today: http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=23234&hl= If you use an external switch like I did there is no drilling, you do not disrturb any wiring (so it is completely reversable), there is no delay in response and you can see the switch. The last may be a limitation for some but I like not searching to find a switch which is hidden by the steering wheel. It is also inexpensive.

The bottom line is that you need to find a way to gound position 27 on the ECU in the instructions. Obviously there are many ways to do that. You will get lots of help here on PC if you ask for it.

6. gagix

gagix New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Allannde @ Oct 16 2006, 01:43 PM) [snapback]333670[/snapback]</div>
    I did the EV Button install using the original EV Button ordered from Sigma Auto. You can find my experiences and instructions at http://web.mac.com/gagix/iWeb/PriusMods

--
    gagix

7. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

I have the flasher mod. When the lights are off there is no problem. When the lights are on the lights flash when you put your stalk back and I am tired of flashing everyone at night. I now have drilled a hole in one of the blanks and installed a momentary switch. BTW- a new blank is only about a buck, however, I will be installing a permanent EV button soon along with a IPA button so all the blanks will be full. When I get around to it I will undo the flasher EV Mod and run the wire back down to my switch.

8. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I went with the CC, largely because of ease of installation. At the time I installed the EV mod, there was no harness for the OEM so you had to make your own. If it was a quick install, I would've gone with the OEM.

There is a delay (this way you have full function of the CC), but I don't mind as I use the EV mod maybe once or twice a month. Others use it on a daily basis.

If cost is in your decision, the OEM and CC are about the same cost (~$50), while the Flasher and DIY button cost next to nothing.

One more thing, if you decide to go with OEM, make sure you're getting the button that's for your year. The 2004-2005 one is a different size than the 2006 (and I presume the 2007).

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have the OEM and like it. I like that it's a perfect fit for the hole and it's a Toyota part. I bet most technicians wouldn't even notice it. However, if I were to drill a hole and place a button from Radio Shack you've better believe that it would be noticeable. I'm not speculating about others, just my own limited electronics and modifications handywork.

I also like that it illuminates when I turn on the headlights - another proof that it's an OEM part which, in my opinion, should have been installed at the factory (that's a whole other thread!)

Since I've only ever had the one, I can't speak about the others.

You say that you've read up on the topic so I won't waste your time and mine warning you about damaging your mileage through overuse. Of course, no amount of reading will keep you from over using it from time to time. It's just human nature.

Good luck with your choice and take pictures.

10. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  11. vuapplepudding

vuapplepudding New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chich2000 @ Oct 16 2006, 03:35 PM) [snapback]333663[/snapback]</div>
    chich2000,

I am thinking of buying the EV OEM button. Where did you get the power feed for the OEM button's light?

Thanks! And nice advice, saved me the hassel of going throught options 1 - 2.

12. Ari

Ari New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hard_working_student @ Nov 3 2006, 12:33 AM) [snapback]343037[/snapback]</div>
    Someone just posted a good writeup in another EV button thread:
    http://web.mac.com/gagix/iWeb/PriusMods/EVButton.html

It shows that the dimmer controls come from ... the dimmer itself!