1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV mode speed

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by almypal26, Jan 2, 2013.

1. almypal26

almypal26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What is the highest speed can one go while in the EV mode? And would there be any damage(s) caused for prolonged usage for a extended period of time?:unsure:

2. pichner

pichner Metallic Maniac #001

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    EV mode (the button) is for speeds under 25 mph and will only work if the big battery has enough charge. The car will kick in the gas when the battery gets low and thus disable ev mode until the battery is charged back up. I never use that button on mine as the car will enter that mode anyway on its own if the battery if full enough and you keep the accel bar/gauge below the half way mark on the display. You might need to let off on the gas completely for a sec to get it to kick in and then come back really slow, acceleration wise.

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Using the EV mode button on the dash will give you up to 25 mph as stated above. You can also run on HV battery up to 47 mph if you are up to speed and are able to "coast" without further need of power. Above 47 mph the ICE will fire up to prevent overspeed of MG1.

joelg1988 and pichner like this.
  4. Rbimd

Rbimd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I believe you mean ICE fires up at 43 MPH.

5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Gen III, 2010+ is 47 mph.

Mark Knight and pichner like this.
  6. Blu-ray

Blu-ray Blizzard Brigade #215

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's strange. I had EV symbol going when I was doing 51 and coasting down a long slope of one of our toll roads here. Should I get it looked at since I'm reading the ICE should have been on?

7. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I only use the button to disable ice earlier when at full stop

8. seckwielen

seckwielen Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a 2010. The physical acceleration limit of the electric motors is about 40-43. The electric motors will not add any more speed when I have the consumption gauge at the halfway point. Any fast than 40-43 in my 2010 will result in the ICE turning on.

EV mode will turn itself off over 25. Displays excessive speed message, but at that point you can still stay in electric mode if you keep the consumption gauge below half way.

9. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Toyota literature gives it to be 47 mph, which is the limit of the max speed of MG1. I can easily get up to 47 mph under the right circumstances.

10. seckwielen

seckwielen Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was just looking up the data in the "Toyota Prius User-Guide Second Edition for the 2010-2012"

You are correct. On page 6 of the PDF
    and on page 3 of the PDF then seem to have a highter limit for the PHV

11. seckwielen

seckwielen Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think that under the right circumstances is the key here. Normally I don't get the mph that high without the ICE kicking on, never tried to coast that high in EV mode. Florida is kinda flat, and doing 47 in my neighborhood (where I do most of my EV mode) would probably get me a ticket. ;)

12. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wilmington is on the coast and is relatively flat also. I have an exit ramp that feeds in to a 45 mph road with a slight decline for about a mile before the first stop light. I can run Stealth or EV all the way to the stop light if no traffic is immediately in front of me. I can ease up to 46-47 mph and maintain this fairly regularly. I monitor the engine speed with a Scangauge II to verify the engine stays off.

13. katiesdad7

katiesdad7 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When I get off the expressway at 70 I take my foot off the gas and then give it gas under the 1/2 way mark and the car still goes 70 isn with the ICE off. I do this everyday. Its neat to see the MPG meter go up at that point.

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's a hill I sometimes coast down, with a speed limit increase (to 80 kmh) just beyond the bottom. I'll give little (EV) nudges to get the speed to climb, and somewhere around 70 kmh the engine always kicks in, as evidenced by RPM showing on ScanGage. That would be around 44 mph.

15. Rbimd

Rbimd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There may be a difference in the 2012 engine or electronics versus the 2010 models. I have DashCommand and monitor my engine rpm's and ICE fires up at 43 MPH in ECO mode, not 47 MPH on my vehicle.

16. Miata Racer

Miata Racer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Why does EV mode sometimes work up to 25 MPH, other times only up to 10 MPH??

17. Rbimd

Rbimd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    the engine goes through warmup stages. When the engine (coolant) temp is less than about 104 deg F the max sped in pure EV is 10 MPH, When warmer, 25 MPH. The battery charge must also be a sufficient amount or the mode is unavailable.

18. JayLn

JayLn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    my friend told me to replace the coolant on the radiator with distilled drinking water, now the engine does not always run to heat itself up and resulted to more ev mode ;)