1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV Mode with Hymotion and cold <0C outdoor temperatures

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by boxer93, Dec 8, 2008.

1. boxer93

boxer93 Psyched for PHEV

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This morning my car would not enter EV mode (second time this month). SGII showed it as off. I found the following thread and it looks as if the hybrid pack (or what they describe as the battery temp on the CAN bus) being below 0C the car will not enter EV mode. link: http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-m...icle-switch-doesn-t-work-in-cold-weather.html It was 7f (-14C) at my house this morning. We have had nights below 0C but it looks like if it's just cold enough EV won't function. My mileage has been around 100-120MPG in the morning with the EBH. Today it was 83 MPG. Maybe I need an electric blanket for the Hybrid pack :)
    Chris

2. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    or some heat in your garage

3. dr_d12

dr_d12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. boxer93

boxer93 Psyched for PHEV

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Heated garage would be great, but 24x28 uninsulated detached garage I would be spending way too much for heat.
    Thanks for the blanket link. Interesting installation. I was thinking of wiring my EBH through the Hymotion charge port with a Y cable and a timer, this would fit nicely with that idea. Alas Joe at Hymotion said that would not be wise, plus it would probably void my warantee. I may try it in 3 years though.
    Chris

5. PeakOilGarage

PeakOilGarage Nothing less than 99.9

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    How far into your drive does it take before you can use EV mode?

Do you have the Hymotion CARB software update that requires the warm-up phase?
    I heard that it forces a 55 second warm-up. Surely that is enough to also get the hybrid pack up to some minimum operating temperature.

6. boxer93

boxer93 Psyched for PHEV

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    PeakOil,
    After my initial low speed distance in EV I don't have the opportunity to stop for about 1 mile. If the water temp is >110f and the heater fan is off EV works. If it's still <110f the ICE runs until it's warm.
    I do not have the CARB update. I was an early install. I do not wish the 55 sec warm up cycle. I wonder if they should restrict the CARB update to CA (Sorry Californians). Also I assume the 55sec Warm up is for the ICE and Catalytic converter. If the hybrid pack is cold I expect it to take as long to warm us as the cabin will. I have no idea how much internal battery temperatures are affected by normal operation.
    Chris