1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV Mode

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Kimoy, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    No need to change the avatar:).

The red does look great(y).

alanclarkeau likes this.
  2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The body side molding on the 2020 is color matched, but other than that from the side a 2020 and a 2016 look the same.

JeffD

alanclarkeau and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Kimoy

Kimoy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If that’s what you call getting the most mpg and mph then yes I am.

4. Kimoy

Kimoy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Another question. I just had my 2020 AWD-e for a month and the battery still haven’t gone to a full charge. Is this normal on the gen4? It only gets to about 1 bar less then the full charge.

5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes. Absolutely normal for all models.

Find one of those long, steep mountains in the Chicago 'burbs and coast down for a couple of miles. :ROFLMAO:

krmcg likes this.
  6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's the indication of an extremely healthy battery. It would take quite a few repeated stops in close succession, or going down a very long and at least moderately steep hill (way bigger than anything in Chicagoland that I know of) to get full bars.

We just got my wife a 2017 trim 2, which also has a NiMH battery and I'm going to be interested to see how it behaves on the big hills in TN and KY next month when we drive it to Ohio. I would expect it to do somewhat better than the 2007 Prius we took on that trip several years ago.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Normal. The Prius keeps a buffer at the top for regen (it likes to keep it around 6 bars out of 8). You almost never reach the top unless you go down a steep enough hill or a mountain.

On the flipside, with the NiMH battery, you rarely see 1 bar (And you should never see 0 bars.. that's bad).

For those with the Li-Ion battery, you will see 1 and 2 bars normally but the Li-Ion battery versions tend to recharge and discharge more easily and readily than the NiMH versions.

(You have the NiMH version with your AWD-e Prius)

alanclarkeau and jerrymildred like this.
  8. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've only seen it absolutely full on the battery indicator (which isn't full at all) 3 or 4 times in 4¼ years - and never below 1 bar.

jerrymildred and krmcg like this.
  9. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    The NiMH won't actually ever be full. Even if the battery indicator is showing you a full battery with all bars, the hybrid ECU will only allow it to be 80% charged at that point. The Li-ion is actually closer to full when showing full.

krmcg and alanclarkeau like this.
  10. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    I was happily tootling along at 60mph in EV mode in the Gen 4 on Friday, even when accelerating, battery one bar below full.

11. Harters

Harters Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    The only time mine regularly has all bars filled is after coming home from my parents on the Motorway which is a 20 mile total journey home. From the exit roundabout I am running downhill with engine off for about a mile, but as I turn into my house the engine is generally running spinning off some of the charge. I like to let it finish that cycle in the garage before I turn it off.

kithmo and alanclarkeau like this.
  12. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Oh I forgot to mention. When the battery is ABSOLUTELY FULL, the hybrid ecu will kick the motor on to take charge away so that the battery doesn't go into an overcharged state. The SoC indicator for the battery on the dash will also flash.

You will only ever get to this state if you were coming down off a mountain. The car will go into EV mode much more easily to help take the battery down to a lower SoC.