1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV modifications - replace your OEM cutout

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by christianaggie07, Aug 10, 2006.

1. sfatula

sfatula Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Allannde @ Sep 11 2006, 05:19 PM) [snapback]317990[/snapback]</div>
    Well, that's somewhat true of course, and I don't worry about that. Car accidents far more likely. But there are several considerations. If I spend a couple of bucks for a switch, and cost myself $4,000, that is a risk not worth taking for me at least. Yes, I agree trying to defend would be even more cost ineffective. More likely they wouldn't push the issue I would think.

I would have to say I would think it unlikely Toyota would say the warranted voided given all that has been said. It does seem to be more of a case of scare tatics. But, I guess I understand their point of view.
    If one destroys wiring in the process of putting it in, of course it is reasonable they may not cover that under warranty.

I guess now I simply have to decide if there is any real benefit, or, just another toy!

2. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Here's why the EV mode button is not a warranty concern: Because Toyota could remove it if they want to. The fact that the didn't remove it for 05 after 04 owners started adding the button, or the fact that they didn't remove it for 06 after 05 owners started doing it, and the fact that they aren't going to remove it for 07 after 06 owners started adding the button proves that Toyota does not care.

It's just like anything else, does adding a backup camera to a 2004 void the screen? Do my turn signal mirrors imported from Japan void the lighting system warranty? Does the addition of TPMS to my 04 void the wheel warranty? Does the addition of a hitch void the transmission warranty?

The answer to all these questions is no.

When I was a service writer at a Toyota dealership, I have warranteed (in good conscience) all kinds of things that could definitely be turned down:

-An alarm ECU drowned in Coffee in a 4runner.
    -God knows how many variable venturi carbs on Tercels (ruined by carb cleaner)
    -A clutch burned out of a supercharged MR2 at 500 miles
    -many CD players with multiple CD's jammed in them
    -seat covers that were torn
    -center console lids broken off
    -cup holders full of spilled dried soda, then forced open and destroyed
    -an engine that had NEVER had an oil change (the oil was like jello!)

The burden of proof is on Toyota to show that a particular use is unsuitable.

I had a buddy that used to race his saturn and blew up the engine. They put in a new one under warranty.

My switch stays in place when I go the dealer. They always show the new guy how it works because it's cool.

Nate

3. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Sep 11 2006, 04:25 PM) [snapback]318090[/snapback]</div>
    Steve F and all the others who are worried, this is about as good an answer as you are going to get. Nate has always been a straight shooter on this forum.

The switch is not a miracle maker. I find it most handy for moving the car short distances without starting up the ICE (like out of the garage for washing). It is also nice to show off how quiet the car can be for short distances. I have not figured out how to use it for increasing gas mileage because overall any short term savings have to be made up by using the ICE to generate more electricity which uses more gas, eventually. So, it is more than just a toy, but not a whole lot.

4. jmccord

jmccord New Member

Absolutely concur with Allannde's previous post.
    Merely installing the EV switch does nothing (if properly installed).
    How you use it is another story. Theoretically if you could discharge your HV battery more deeply and more often with the switch if you really tried. I suppose its also possible, that in spite of the car's built-in safeguards this might reduce your HV battery life, and finally, I suppose its possible that Toyota could deny warranty service. But seriously, I can't imagine why you would <strike>use </strike> abuse the EV switch like this since your mpg would drop dramatically.
    Like Allande, I use my EV switch sparingly. I know the "happy" range of my HV battery SOC (easily monitored on the MFD) and make sure to keep it there. Used in this fashion, the EV switch is basically invisible to the car. In other words - no impact, negative or otherwise.
    This issue has been beat to death on this forum, but I still can't resist pitching in my $0.02 worth...again. :D

Oh yeah. Did I say I love this car? :p