1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV On/Off Charge Depletion Miles and Control Not Making Much Sense

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Susan4ET, Oct 18, 2012.

?
  1. 09 miles

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 10 miles

11.6%
  3. 11 miles

20.9%
  4. 12 miles

30.2%
  5. 13 miles

14.0%
  6. 14 miles

9.3%
  7. 15 miles

9.3%
  8. 16 miles

4.7%
  1. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Okay, I thoroughly get that EV Miles is an estimate based on my driving. And now too that the ratios '1' and '2' can be toggled and are independent of 'Trip A' and 'Trip B'.

Of course, as you might guess, I haven't a clue why there are two ratios even. I had two different ratios too but I could not see what their differences represented.

Yesterday I made several short trips in town low speed and using EV. The ice would go through its warm-up and I recharged after each trip. It pushed the overall mpg to over 70 but this mornings EV estimate of 11.3 isn't 'improving'.

I reset everything...both trips, all the consumption info, both ratios, all the displays--this had no effect on resetting the EV estimate. Would resetting Personal Information be the only way to reset this?

It sort of sounds like people may leave 'Trip B' and 'Ratio 2' alone and reset only 'Trip A' and 'Ratio 1' each time they fill up the tank??

Even though it is very likely on my upcoming trip of up to two weeks I won't have any opportunity to recharge EV once would it 'technically' still be 'best' to manage it as if there was some minuscule benefit--HV only at speeds over 62 and climbing grades and EC going downhill or on level roads with speeds below 62 mph?

Thanks for the help. BTW, if I could edit or delete the poll I would. Maybe a moderator can? I might try an unambiguous poll with fewer but ranged selections. Maybe someone already has somewhere else? Does approaching an EC guestimate of 13 miles mean never driving the car over 35 mph? That would be impossible for me. But never seeing the estimate drop below 11 seems likely.

2. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Resetting that stuff isn't going to change your EV. If you want to raise your EV do this. (You will have to sacrifice comfort and time of course. Realize that everyone getting 13+ miles is sacrificing comfort and time)

1. On your next return home. Turn off the A/C, and turn off the blower 5 minutes before you get home. Press "setup", "display" "screen off". Then turn your instrument cluster brightness all the way down to the lowest where it is still on.

2. Drive watching your Hybrid system indicator. Drive extremely gently. You will have people tailgaiting you, maybe honking and passing you (welcome to Prius!). Try not to let the energy bar go beyond where the big "EV" symbol lies. You will accelerate slowly.

3. When going downhill adjust the pressure you put on the break peddle so that the charge bar is at the highest you can get it to.

4. Continue this for 3 days. Your EV range will rise.

3. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's ridiculous isn't it...but I get your point if that is all you are making. So Toyota is lying through their teeth when they suggest an estimated range of 11 to 15 miles or whatever it is?

Where is that estimated EV charge range given--I can't find it now?

Why was it even 13.1 when I left the dealer the first time with 32 miles total? That is the one thing that really sucked me into this mess? 'E' in 'EV' doesn't stand for 'electric'--it stands for 'estimated'. :oops:

Interesting that my window sticker says '11 miles' in the Driving Range section. If it represents what I think it might mean as an actual measured (calculated) miles of a test trip starting out with a fully charged EV then my dreaming of reaching 13 is pretty silly and I am actually doing quite well? But aren't there others of you out there that see well above 11 (maybe 13 actually?) and surely you are not driving your car this way just to get 13 or more estimate when you are all charged up the next day?

4. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Who would have thought that the PiP forum would attract all the nuts.

This is what happens when you give the buyer too much choice and control.

5. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    To the OP, I say just drive it and enjoy it! IMHO, the estimated EV range is going to vary from driver to driver, day to day, and car to car. That's just the way it is. Remember the bit where it says, "Your mileage may vary?";)
    When this subject first showed up last spring, and PiP owners weighed in on it, I decided to start keeping track of my EV range, writing it down after each full charge. (I have a lot of time on my hands, being mostly retired.) Unfortunately for me, it got to be a habit.:sick: So be forewarned! Anyway, I am now one day short of keeping this record for six months. The EV range has varied from 13.6 to 14.6 miles. When I have driven in town enough to run out of EV, I usually have gone somewhere between 14 and 15 miles, with a couple of times going 16. The main reason I sold my '06 Prius in order to get the PiP was the idea of being able to do my in-town mostly on EV. There are members here who regularly exceed the 11 to 15 estimate, and some who report getting less. It has to do with terrain, traffic, and driving style/habits.
    I do occasionally make longer trips, and usually manually switch to HV a mile or so before entering the freeway, saving the EV for off-freeway use on the other end. I have kept it in ECO mode the entire time. I now have over 8300 miles, average consumption of 78 mpg, and 24/76% EV to gas usage. I reset trip 'a' with each fueling, and have kept trip 'b' recording since the day I took delivery. My longest non-stop trip is usually around 90 miles, and the final screen on shut off typically reads somewhere in the mid-sixties, sometimes into the low seventies. Much better than either of my previous Prius'.
    So, enjoy your trip, and know that you are getting better fuel economy than just about anything else you see on the road!

6. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes they literally studied and perfected techniques to gain mpg, and most of this is by not using features and accelerating extremely slowly to minimize ICE time. There are threads here about numerous techniques. None of them will make the driver behind you very happy.

And it isnt just the 13 you get in EV, once they go to HV mode they continue with techniques to get 60+, and may be good at harnessing charge on downhills. If I do it right, there is one hill that can get me enough charge to get home from an empty battery.

It doesn't save you that much really, but to some people it is worth it, to each their own.

The 11 miles you saw is from the EPA, where they test the car in what they consider normal conditions. A/C, instrument cluster, regular acceleration, etc. They found 11 miles can be expected.

7. rockerdan

rockerdan PiP Rocks!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bottom line.....as ive said before,

keep your HSI indicator below 20% at all times, you will get 15EV miles.

What i do is I reset my trip A each day....so when i take off i can watch my EV range and my trip A miles, and i can add them together to see my total as they tick off....when i go above 20% HSI in acceleration, i can see the EV range tick off faster then the miles are adding up. When i keep HSI at 20% or less I can watch the EV range tick off SLOWER then the actual miles ad on.

try this for a few days and you will get into the habit of knowing how to get 15 miles..I do this alot cause my typical drive is exactly 15 miles, and I have to baby it to make it back without ICE starting. Some days I have too many people behind me and i have to speed up just a tad and then my EV runs short.

I reset my ratio trip 1 each FILLUP...and leave ratio trip 2 for lifetime. also leave trip B ODO for lifetime MPG and Im currently at 120mpg at 2000miles total on car with 50/50 ratio EV/HV.

None of this is any different then watching an INSTANT MPG calculator on any car ive had in the past 10 yrs....but it now is amplified due to the fact the "tank size" is so small(meaning your EV tank so to speak) where your fuel tank is larger, so instant MPG doesnt transfer as dramatically in theory.

Dan

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wasn't the lady who traded in her pip a few months ago because 'toyota said it would go 15 miles on ev' named suzie?

9. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  10. GCPExit12

GCPExit12 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Don't obsess over the EV estimate. I'm pretty sure it takes the average of many many previous miles so one day of really good driving isn't going to upgrade your estimate much. My display was showing as high as 15.9 two months ago and now i've leveled off at 13.3 but I know the actual miles i'm getting per charge hasn't change. Once you get a hang of the car you'll know better how much EV range you have left than the guess-o-meter on the MFD. It'll come with experience when you approach a hill, you'll be able to size it up and say, "hmm...that's going take 0.6 to climb" or "this off ramp is going to give me back 0.4"

You'd be surprised! Oregon is very EV friendly I hear, and California too! Use smartphone apps and find charging stations along the way. Out East we have Plugshare and ChargePoint and it's really useful/fun to plan trips around charging stops. There are more places out there where you can charge than you think!

Municipal buildings like court houses and EPA offices sometimes have free L2 chargers. Lowe's stores generally have 120V outlets outside (look for where the rental tools are plugged in to charge outside). Kohl's stores are adding high speed charging stations. Chase Bank locations out here often have outlets by the drive-thru ATM's. Walmart, Pathmark Supermarkets, and Whole Foods usually have outlets up front but some may be in a no parking zone or near the shopping cart stalls so beware of people pushing their carts over your cord every other minute. I've found most places if you ask the manager politely he or she will, after giving you a look like you just stepped out of a spaceship that just crash-landed on Earth, let you use their outlets to charge.

A typical Sunday for my family: we head out in the morning, eat breakfast (charge 1 hr), stop to do some shopping (charge 1-2hrs), lunch (charge 1 hr), beach (3 hr), stop at Home Depot (1 hr) Depending on whether high speed chargers are available, we can charge anywhere from 20-50 miles of EV over the course of an outing. Throw in the 15 miles we have in the batt before we leave and we do more than half our driving in EV.

I'm not saying go out of your way to eat, play, and spend time around charging stations, but there are opportunities for your car to recharge while it waits for you. Good luck on that road trip, sounds like a lot of fun.

11. How do you get HUD on you
    Base Pip?

12. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

She is probably referencing the MID or nav screen and mistakenly calling it an HUD since you cannot get an HUD in a base PiP.

13. TY Paradox, there is a big Difference between them. I wish people would use the right terminologies.

14. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow... Just watched a YouTube on the Prius Advanced HUD. No wonder it adds ~$7K or so to the price. Cool.

I thought people referred to the long panel with the speedometer, MID, and warning lights as a sort of pseudo 'HUD'.

Glad I could confuse the hell out of you all. I wouldn't stoop so low as to think the NAV was a HUD though or anything lower then what I call the 'HUD'.

The EV Driving Ratio is turning out to be quite the key topic. Right now my EV is showing 86% even, but unless the third charge I am on is a charm the Estimated EV Miles is sticking to 11.3 three days in a row. I was short a few miles today so I spoiled keeping EV at 100% and mpg at 999. :)

I'll try a little harder to work the correct acronyms into the discussions: MID = Multi-Information Display or MFD = Multi-Function Display are the same thing. If I use HUD on my car I'll put a 'p' in front of it = pHUD.

15. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The HUD, or Heads up Display, projects information like speed, the HSI bar and speed, or navigation info like turn arrows and distance till turn onto the windshield in front of the driver so their eyes don't have to leave the road and glance down at displays.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In this image you can see the spot on the dash where the unit it located and how it projects the image 'up' onto the windshield:

[​IMG]

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    never saw one before, thanks mark!

17. SJ PiP

SJ PiP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    cool, so that's why my pip bleeds off ~1mi EV when i switch to HV mode as soon as i hit first stretch of freeway (recovering a third when i decel on exit ramp)

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't see that. ^ when i take a long hv trip, i start with about 14.5 miles ev range. over the course of 30 miles or so, i'm down to 11 miles or so. it never comes back.

19. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Same here, if you have a full charge and your EV guesstimate is 12, 23 14 etc and switch straight away to HV mode mine bleeds down to say 10.5 or 11 (not sure exactly what as I don't make it a habit of going straight into HV mode) and it does not go back up ans tay past that point without plugging in.

Same thing if I use up my EV range and then begin to 'stack' EV range again using the 'stacking method' it'll go up to about 10.4. Then even if I go down a big hill and regen up to 12 it'll still blend it with HV operation to bring it back down to 10.4 give or take.

20. Ayerscreek

Ayerscreek New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hey, Susan, great to hear from another Oregonian. I live in the Willamette Valley. I have almost 3,000 miles on the PIP. This summer I was averaging estimated EV in the high 12's or low 13's. My EV/HV ratio was close to 50/50. I put the PIP in HV going up hills or whenever I go over 50 mpg and travel more than 12 miles. I try to plug in at least once per trip. I drive it like I would be biking, accelerating a little as a go up gentle hills and coasting down. We have gentle hills around here and not much level ground. I also live in the country, so don't do a lot of stop and go unless I am in Portland. My average was around 100 mpg.

Then my husband came home from camp hosting in LaPine and we took a trip to Couer d'Alene, round trip of about 900 miles. I charged up before the trip and didn't charge again until getting home, about 5 days. We had about 8 miles left on EV until we came to a rest stop and forgot to put it in HV upon returning to the freeway. This bleed all of the EV miles before reaching Couer d'Alene. Though EV kicked in a few times while tooling around Cour d'Alene, most of the trip was 50mph or above. Getting home, we averaged 50 mpg.

Since that trip, my estimated EV range has been in the low 12's but I have noticed that I am still getting almost 14 EV miles still when I am on strictly surface streets and my speed is between 20 and 45. This is slightly less than at the beginning of the summer when I got almost 15. I haven't been able to get the estimate back to the high 12's and I think there are a couple of reasons:

1. According to one post, it takes many more trips to build the estimate back up, not just a few trips since this is an average of your driving habits.
    2. The temperatures are now in the 50's and 60's and mpg, particularly EV does seem to be better at warmer temps.
    3. My husband does not "baby" the car like I do. He has a lead foot and accelerates and breaks quickly and hard.

I think the important thing is the actual EV you are getting, not so much the estimate. Central Oregon is much colder than it is here so that may be what you will see until it starts warming up again. Also, I would be interested in hearing what your estimate is after your long trip.