1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV On/Off Charge Depletion Miles and Control Not Making Much Sense

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Susan4ET, Oct 18, 2012.

?
  1. 09 miles

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 10 miles

11.6%
  3. 11 miles

20.9%
  4. 12 miles

30.2%
  5. 13 miles

14.0%
  6. 14 miles

9.3%
  7. 15 miles

9.3%
  8. 16 miles

4.7%
  1. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This conversation reminds me of the voicemail icon on my dad's cell phone. I showed him how to pick up his voicemail but he'd always forget how. I eventually told him to just ignore it.But even now, 10 years later, he'd come to me every once in awhile and ask me to delete that icon because it bugs him so much to see it on the screen.

I feel the same way about this post. It really doesn't matter what we say whether it right or wrong. OP's PiP said 13.1 EV miles when new and nothing will satisfy OP until it says 13.1 or higher. I'm not trying to trivialize OP's legitimate concern. I mean, I don't like the fact that I got seat heaters in my base PiP instead of LED headlights. I'd rather have LED headlights. That will always bug me that Toyota sold me seat heaters that I will never use in sunny California.

2. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You will eventually use those seat heaters, trust me. I had to use mine this morning at 7am. It will get cold enough this winter to warrant their use. Milpitas ain't that sunny or warm in the winter...

My PiP said 13+ EV miles when new. It has steadily gone down and now sits around 10.3. Sometimes it moves up, sometimes down, but always seems to settle around 10.3. Was I upset at first that the estimate went down? Sure. But then I took a hard look at my commute and realized that I had a less than ideal route to take full advantage of the EV miles. I have a big hill to go up first thing in my commute, followed by a downhill that might get me most of my EV miles back, followed by a flat section, and then another large hill to go up. If I left the car in EV mode the whole time, I ended up with very few EV miles before I got on the freeway. I now put the car in HV mode, go up the first hill and then back down, and by the time I get to the flat section, the engine is warmed up and I go in EV mode on the flat section before hitting HV mode again for the second hill, go up that hill in HV mode, and then can run on EV mode until I hit the freeway. At that point I have more EV miles available to me. I save those miles for when I'm stuck in slow traffic, or for when I get to the end of my commute and I'm back on surface streets.

To the OP: Did your last car get the EPA estimated mileage, or was it lower? If it was lower, did you complain about that to the manufacturer? The mileage estimates that the EPA and the manufacturer provide are based on a standardized test. This is supposed to provide a level playing field, as it were, for comparing mileage estimates from one car to another, and one manufacturer to another. That standardized test is supposed to mimic a typical commute for most drivers. But as with lots of things based on a standard, not everybody falls into the standard. I think that's what's happening with you. This doesn't mean that Toyota lied to you. It just means that your driving patterns and habits aren't as optimal for EV-only driving and the computer is trying to give you a more realistic estimate, based on your past driving history.

3. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I thought OP was happy now? Or at least accepting. She is getting about 11 which is what EPA said to expect.

Those 2 extra miles are only saving you about 9 cents on gas. We're talking about $3 a month. This car is so efficient that you don't have to stress about all these little details if it isn't worth a few pennies at a time to you.

lensovet likes this.
  4. moviebizman

moviebizman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Mine said 13.9 when I left the dealer. I bought mine for continued single occupant carpool usage. My estimate shows 9.8 now. For the longest time it stayed in the 10's. But even at 9.8 EV estimate, if I try, I can still go 12 to 13 miles. And my PiP is lowered with $1100.00 coilovers, and 18" light weight wheels with low profile tires. The 9.8 probably correlates to my needing to stay about 75 to 80mph on the 405 freeway just to not piss people off behind me for going too slow.
    Anyway, 11 is correct. I've never heard Toyota say 15. I think only when they were testing and figuring out what size Li-ion trackng battery will go into the vehicles in production. Other than that I've only heard and read the estimate to be 11.
    [​IMG]

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is that your son? starting him out right!:p

6. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I still have made no progress figuring this EV estimate out. In fact, I'm at a new low estimate of 11.2 9.8 miles. And with the cold months coming on I'm losing interest in driving around town with A/C turned off. The EV estimate seems to be a "toy" to focus on. The "practical" will be what real mpg I get around town and on a trip. And, when I get to it, what charging EV is costing. (I need to learn and understand how to convert kWh to mpg, etc.) The upcoming trip will give me a great opportunity to see what mpg I get on a tank of gas with no plug-in charging at all. If I see 60+ mpg without recharging EV I'll be very happy. That will represent almost 20 mpg more then what I was doing on a regular basis with the old 2010 Prius.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all you have to do is divide your electric bill by kwh used to get your cents/kwh cost. then multiply that by 3.3 for the average recharge from empty. mine cost about .50, so 10 miles/charge would be .05/mile etc.

8. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think the figure of 15 EV only miles was published prior to official testing, etc., and quite a while before the cars became available. As an update to my prior post in this thread, #25, on Sunday morning my EVR hit a first-ever 14.8, and I got an actual 17.0 miles on EV that day, at speeds up to 55 mph, with another 40+ miles of HV added on. Monday the estimate was again 14.8, but I only used about 3.5 EV miles, and this morning the estimate was 14.7 miles. My point again is, it WILL vary. Even in HV mode, which the OP will use on her road trip, she ought to improve on the mpg's of her 2010 Prius. She indicated she got low forties in that one, but didn't say if she ever drove that one on a similar road trip.

9. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Question... Are you people that are getting 12+ estimated miles EV 'pulse & gliding' all the time you are on EV only? I'm not trying to set some record but just trying to understand the concept of what/how _I_ have drive the PiP to see an increase.
    I am at a new low of 9.8 miles in the estimate and my estimates after full charge have only been going one direction--down.

10. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I never studied pulse and glide, but I do turn off all the lights and screens and keep my throttle as low as possible. My EV range estimate is slowly increasing. I am beginning to get about 14 miles EV but the estimate started in the 10's and has slowly climbed to the new high of 12.4 today.

11. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Simple. Drive at 5 mph in circles in a parking lot until you go insane and run down the battery. That should give you an insanely long EV range.
    PS. To the earlier poster saying to keep the HSI bar at 20% or lower…man, I'm just glad we don't drive on the same roads :p

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    susan, you can't 'increase' you're ev range, period. just drive the car and try to find a way to enjoy it. or trade it in on something you will enjoy. apologies for the tough love, but you are trying to make the car something it is not.

13. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's been said the high speeds kill the EV miles.
    So this morning I took some side streets and kept it under 35mph- What I observed was the EV miles ticking off slower than the odometer miles. As soon as I had to get back on the main roads at 62-66mph I saw the EV miles ticking off faster than the odometer miles.

So- slow and steady wins again :)

14. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I need to resolve a huge hole in my discussion. More later--maybe.

Are there other polls already that demonstrate what EV Estimated Miles people are showing after a full charge--NOT actual miles driven but the computer estimate made??

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why is it 'fishy'? if we both drive the same gas car, and i get 25mpg and you get 30mpg, does that mean i'm doing something wrong? what if my route is hillier than yours? or if i have to drive higher speeds? or i have a lead foot? or the weather in my area is worse? sure i can make some improvements, but i can't control everything. some things are outside of our control. same with ev miles.

16. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I got my 14.8 with what for me, is "normal driving." It just isn't going to be the same for everybody. I use A/C and lights, etc., when I need to do so, but I rarely accelerate hard. I shut off the A/C a few blocks from home, but that is to allow the moisture in the system to dry out to avoid a mildew smell in the car. My iPod is on constantly, but I don't think that uses a lot of juice.;)

17. rockerdan

rockerdan PiP Rocks!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The OP needs a new car.....she is far too OCD to drive this car slow enough to improve EV range, which in the end means nothing at all...the OCD is you are obsessing over the ESTIMATE.

put your front end up on jackstands, and let car idle away for entire EV range, do that for 5 battery cycles and you will probably see 20EV range.

But you will still only go 10 miles after all that.....BECAUSE YOU DRIVE TO FAST. like i said before, google a route that is 30mph roads....keep HSI at 20% and you will go 15miles for sure. But you will need to do that many many times to get your ESTIMATE to go up that hi. common sense.

Dan

lensovet likes this.
  18. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What was 'fishy' was, I think now, still my confusing _constantly_ the computer's EV miles estimate with actual EV miles driven in this thread--at least that is what I hope at this point. You may not believe this but I have not measured my actual EV miles driven once to compare with the computers estimate.

It has turned cold in Central Oregon now and that may throw this whole discussion off further? I think it would be best to close this thread here and now and start a new thread with a much less ambiguous poll question at the top.

19. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And I think you are not too patient and a little mean spirited with me. Your own HSI EV estimate says 9.1 miles. Is that typical for you as far as the estimate only goes? And everyone else here who has posted much higher EV miles--are they only talking about actual and not at all about the HSI's computer EV estimate? Are they all driving around excessively slow, with all electrical loads shed? When I drove my car away from the dealer it showed an estimate of 13.1 EV miles with only 32 miles on the odometer, how do you suppose the dealer got it that high?

"Common sense"...that's a laugh. And you cannot assume I drive too fast. The only thing I'll give you that you can assume is that in all my discussions so far I have been relating to the EV miles ESTIMATE only. I never once have actually noted my actual EV miles down to the estimate dropping to 0 and the ice turning on for the first time. I've stayed for several days at the city speed limits at or under 35 mph. However I really killed the estimate when I turned A/C on and the lights for only a couple miles. Yes, I need to record some actual EV miles! I will. Heck, I'm still on my first 'dealer' tank of gas.

20. Thought I would reboot again, EV ESTIMATE improved quite a bit from 10-11 lately to 13.6. On three Separate charges this morning. I think I will install a battery disconnect so I can reboot easier.