EV or EV auto

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-Current)' started by EV Happy, Dec 30, 2019.

1. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In EV Auto the ICE runs to add power only after you put the pedal (actually the Energy Indicator) into the power area and leave it there for at least 3 seconds. Yes the ICE and motors combine and the effect is rather exhilarating. Both showed arrows going to the wheels for the brief period I had my accelerator floored. I did it twice and once you let off the pedal pressure it will go into standard HV warming to either get the Cat up to temp or cabin temperature whichever takes the longest time. It’s kind of disappointing that the effect is so short lived. Maybe I’ll try it in the spring again and instrument it.

Unsupervised!

Dael and Salamander_King like this.
  2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks for the info. Yeah, I have never had an occasion to floor the pedal in my 2+ years of driving my PRIME. For me the highway marging only happens getting on the interstate, but that is over 50 miles away from my home. I am either done with EV range or if saving the EV range, I would be driving HV. That EV AUTO + flooring the pedal sound like the S+ system available on my son's Honda CRZ hybrid. I tried it once on a highway, and was fun, but again, I would have no real use for that functionality 99.9% of my daily drive.

S+.png

3. GregersonIT

GregersonIT New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I mainly use the ev auto when I want to use electric which i do on a part of my commute with lots of turns, up hills and down hills at 25-55mph speeds,basically the canyon part of my commute. And adds quite a bit to my typical gas mileage too and I find the electric a bit easier to control and more fun on that part of my commute rather than using gas.