1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV owners abusing public chargers

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Sep 13, 2021.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I shared this with our local Tesla group:
    upload_2021-9-13_10-37-42.png
    • tight loops - this puts extra stress on the conductors. Called 'work hardening', copper can become brittle, break, and the cable needs to be replaced.
    • lying on ground - in a wind, the rough surface wears the outside insulation leading to early cable failure. It is also a trip hazard for anyone walking by.
    • loop on loop - this adds weight to the cable putting stress to pull the cable from the charger. Once separated, repair is expensive and time consuming.
    If you've seen similar charger abuse or anything I've left off, please share images with this thread.

Bob Wilson

Tideland Prius and jerrymildred like this.
  2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Saw something sort of similar on our vacation trip but didn't take a picture.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If folks had a buck for every cable untangled & unwound & unknotted, they would would be able to travel several hundred miles.

4. donbright

donbright Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I remember Tesla had a 'robot snake' thing they prototyped that was a metal shielded robot arm that would automatically unfurl and plug a cable into your car to charge - always thought that was nice not because it saved you plugging in, but because a lot of people have problems coiling cables and kinking them and this would have bypassed all those issues.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    As other locals have shared, malicious teenagers are also a risk to free, J1772 chargers. Hopefully they smoke tobacco.

Bob Wilson

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the gas station model worked well for a century, other than the random armed robbery or cigarette explosion.

donbright likes this.
  7. t_newt

t_newt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Tight loops reduce the current rating of the cable because the heat can accumulate: it doesn't have whole length to dissipate the heat anymore.