1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by prairie_prius, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Bearcatzzz

Bearcatzzz Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prince of Jupiter @ Sep 13 2006, 07:52 PM) [snapback]319277[/snapback]</div>
    You can also search "sweet spot". This high speed, seemingly high efficency was discussed under this phrase.

2. climateguy

climateguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Sep 13 2006, 07:58 AM) [snapback]318889[/snapback]</div>
    Not sure what you mean here, but those numbers are consistent with "infinity mileage." 450 miles at 52.7 mpg equates to 8.54 gallons consumed, while 454 miles at 53.3 mpg equates to 8.52 gallons consumed. So you actually made gasoline during that period! Of course, the increase is attributable to rounding errors in your mileage and FE numbers, but the point is that, within the margin of rounding-induced errors, you consumed no gas over the 4 miles. Thus, infinite mileage according to those numbers.

All that being said, apparently a small amount of fuel is still consumed if the engine is spinning (i.e. if your speed is over 42 mph). I assume this is what you're seeing (in the 2004 with CAN-view, presumably) when you state an average of 400 mpg. 400 mpg for 4 miles would consume 0.01 gallons - still within the rounding errors. So assuming you're going faster than 42 mph, I think your conclusion (that it's not infinite mileage) is correct, but you really can't base that on the imprecise numbers from the 2006 MFD. If you stayed under 42 mph for the 4 mile stretch, you should be able to use zero fuel, and would end up with the same readout on the MFD even though your mileage for that stretch would be infinite under those circumstances.

3. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(climateguy @ Sep 15 2006, 08:49 AM) [snapback]319796[/snapback]</div>
    Again,
    Does anyone know what knid of algorithm does the CAN-View use to calc such 400 mpg number?

Ken@Japan

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    on my post i did not mean to imply that the Prius burns gas all the time. i am only stating that frequently when the consumption screen says 99.9 mpg that there is gas being burned that is not reflected on the energy screen all the time.

on the hill i described, slightly more than two-thirds that trip does not burn gas. but CANVIEW does report some gas used. usually .1-.4 gph and it seems to do this at least a small portion of every minute or so. this happens very consistantly. this is with no A/C, defrost or any other major power draw is running. because this hill is 30 miles from my house, the car is always warmed up. so with what i know, the regen should be providing all the power but it doesnt. something else causes the car to run.

its not overcharging (once had it to 84% but its usually not above about 75%) couple of times, i hit 8 bars on the battery but only for the last 30 seconds or so of the hill. why it does this, i dont know. i used to think it had to do with maintaining emission levels or engine temps because it will run longer without gas in the summer, but the difference really wasnt that much and i admit, i have only 5 trips during the winter, about 20-30 for the summer.

now i dont have CANVIEW, so unable to monitor real time gas comsumption volumes anymore...

5. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Sep 15 2006, 11:05 PM) [snapback]320041[/snapback]</div>
    I wrote I clearly observe no fuel injected at all on such situation.
    Then, I'm asking how does the CAN-View show such number.

Ken@Japan

6. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Sep 15 2006, 07:05 AM) [snapback]320041[/snapback]</div>
    It is quite possible to burn gasoline AND get 99.9mpg. I see this all the time, without CANview. The ICE is most definitely running (not just spinning) and the display shows 99.9mpg. Just about any car would get 99.9mpg if the engine were idling and you were coasting down a freeway-speed hill.

Or maybe I'm missing the point completely. I'm tired. :)