1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV range and performance?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Scorpio, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Scorpio

Scorpio New Member

Looking at buying a new 2004 Prius but a couple of questions

In EV mode...

What speed can be maintained? Will it drive around town just on EV and not embarress itself?

How far can it travel on EV

Reason for the questions are that I have two sets of journeys - one is 25-30 miles on fast roads at 40-60mph and the other is a 5 mile trip into town where I never exceed 30mph.

Would be nice to consider that I could do the town work solely on Electric power and recharge the batteries on the faster runs.

Also, does anyone know if aftermarket battery charges are available? Perhaps running from a wind charger (we live on the coast!!)?

Thanks

Scorpio

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    EV range is quite short...from a full charge you might go 2.5 or with a tailwind, downhill and ideal conditions 3 miles.

Realize you'll have to install you own EV button as they're not standard or available options in the US.

I is possible to add additional batteries yourself to help extend the range, but that can incur other problems (no lubrication pump for the planetary gear system and such). There are no chargers available currently. There is on made, by Toyota, but it is very expensive ($5000 range I think), no one I've heard of has been able to aquire one yet, and it is very very slow. The problem there is that you have to syncronize charging with the ECU or the system thinks there's a problem. There are ongoing projects to dramatically extend the EV range of the Prius, but those efforts are early on.

Finally, top speed is 34mph in EV mode (with button, up to 41mph in "normal driving, but harder to achieve). Acceleration is quite slow compared to with the ICE.

3. Scorpio

Scorpio New Member

Thanks for the info.

We are UK based so we get the EV button as standard. 3 miles is a heck of a short distance though :)

As I understand it, the battery pack is a stack of 130 or so D NiMh cells which are packed in a matrix of Serial/Parallel mode with temp sensors and a couple of cooling fans.

It is quite simple to obtain NiMH D cells from surplus outlets and we can generally pick them up here in the UK for around 50p ($1) apiece in bulk.

Therefore building a battery pack that will lie in the floor of the boot space and approx 4" deep, complete with temp sensors and switchable cooling fans is quite practical and certainly possible for a 2KWH unit to be built for around $700 or so.

Could such an item not be installed in parallel across the existing battery pack? Does the CPU use voltage sensing to determine charge state etc and would additional capacity therefore be compensated for (in the same way that it senses a dying battery pack).

I'm fully aware of all the safety precautions etc of working with NiMH and high voltages.

Thanks for your help so far

Scorpio

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, Scorpio, you're on track to how it's been done....I have additional information but I'm not sure how much I'm at liberty to share. Let me do a little research for you. Those who've added additional NiMH batteries that I'm aware of here have incurred costs more on the order of $1500-$2000USD.

Additionally, as I began to suggest, there's some concern that an additional oil pump is probably necessary for prolonged EV mode to lubricate that system.

5. Scorpio

Scorpio New Member

Many thanks Evan

Any further info would be most helpful.

Bear in mind that I am after extra range and not speed - 35mph is more than adequate for our needs.

If the EU version includes an EV button then surely there must be sufficient lubrication already built in to the system. After all, Toyota doesn't say anything like 'Only use EV for 2 miles' or similar and they don't know that I don't live at the top of a mountain with a 10 mile downhill ride into town.

Just a thought.

We can buy those NiMH D cells very cheaply through military surplus routes - they come complete with solder tags etc. They just need testing before usage as 1 in 10 is generally faulty.

Thanks again

Scorpio

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think Toyota DOES believe that extended range EV could become a problem, they've even addressed it in this Patent Application The theories I'm familiar with suggest that some residual lubrication is almost always present, but with extended use could be depleted. It is not difficult to accomplish.

7. Scorpio

Scorpio New Member

That's interesting.

However the EV button can be used when the vehicle has not been driven using the ICE - say after a lay-up of 2-3 weeks when any lubricating oil has drained or dispersed. So operation of the Electric drive would result in no additional lubrication of the ICE or the epicyclic gearbox. However my very limited experience of such gearboxes is that they are 'sealed for life' units and hold their lubrication internally.

The problems could arise if the ICE was spinning during EV use - although then I would imagine that the crankshaft driven oil pump would circulate lubrication oil throughout the ICE.

If I am not understanding the issue correctly please tell me. What other lubrication is needed other than ICE or gearbox?

Thanks

Scorpio

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hold tight Scorpio, I'll give you more data when I have 'permission'...hang in there.

9. Scorpio

Scorpio New Member

Just re-read the application and I think that the vehicle actually handles the issues of lubrication by calculating the time since the ICE was last used and the various system temps and then using a map of the viscosity index of the oil (NOTE: ALWAYS use the recommended oils or else!!) to determine whether additional lubrication is needed. If it is then the Electric motor spins the ICE at idle speed so that the crankshaft oil pump circulates the oil for a predetermined time.

It's interesting that earlier in the application they refute the use of an Electric oil pump because it lowers the engergy efficiency - however they then advocate the use of the ICE being spun by the Electric motor to circulate the oil - that's really not efficent and will accelerate wear on the ICE - imagine the energy being wasted.

More likely is that as the ICE is a standard 'off the shelf' engine which already has a built in oil pump, then they decided to use the method of spinning the engine when lubrication is needed. But it's a bit unfair to claim in a Patent application that they chose not to use an electric oil pump because it would be inefficient.

The only real question is whether the software algorithm in the ECU calculates the oil lubrication requirements over an indefinite time period - my guess is that it probably does for my previously outlined scenario - top of mountain downhill to town.

Scorpio

PS Sorry our posts overlapped - I'm sitting tight :)

10. bri1600bv

bri1600bv New Member

The Prius battery is about 2kwh of energy, but usually doesn't get drawn down to below 50 or 60%, from what I've read.

1 kwh should take you about 4 miles if at low speeds without stopping and starting alot. That's my guess anyway.

I don't know if getting more batteries would be worth it. How would you get the software to recognize your new battery source and all? Otherwise it might start the engine as soon as the original pack gets down to 50% of charge.

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They can be wired in "invisibly", the ECU doesn't look at the charge capacity, just the overall SOC.

12. Scorpio

Scorpio New Member

Thanks bri1600bv

Normally the calculation of remaining energy is done via voltage drop and (I am hoping that) adding additional battery capacity would be taken into account automatically by the sensing system in the same way that the ECU must account for the wear and tear in the batteries over say 7-8 years when their storage capacity may only be 60-70% of a new battery pack.

Scorpio

13. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Evan I thought the oil pump was splined to the outboard end of MG2 and was turning whenever the car was in motion. This is the oil pump for the PSD and diffy for those who are curious.

14. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Functional Description Per Wayne Brown:

The parts that are affected by no `pressurized' lubrication are
    the PSD(Power Split Device) which is the Planetary-Gear assembly and
    the Main-Shaft Bearings. It appears that the Chain itself gets its
    lubrication from the Counter-Gears that appear to be separated from
    the Tranny `pressurized' lubrication and riding in the more common
    Splash-Up & Gear-Transfer lubrication process along with Final-
    Gearing and the Differential. They all use the same lubricant from
    the same sump but, the `pressurized' parts are what may suffer in EV
    & EVb modes going beyond say 3 miles.

This is all very confusing to just put in words so I will mark
    up a Toyota drawing with some Yellow highlighting that shows where
    the `Pressurized' Tranny lube is being applied (more or less).

15. Scorpio

Scorpio New Member

Nice diagram :)

Slightly confusing in that it shows a seperate oil pump on the opposite side to the ICE - whereas the patent application refers to the use of the crankshaft driven in sump oil pump in the ICE being used to supply pressurized oil.

The diagram seems to show an oil pump that is driven by the electric motor shaft at all times that the electric motor is spinning which would mean that in the Prius, there would be no need to drive the ICE when in EV mode.

Does the Patent application actually refer to the Prius? It would appear that the modus operandi of the Prius is different to the Patent.

Scorpio

16. nathanielhierseman

nathanielhierseman New Member

Do you think there will eventually be the EV option for the 2003 prius?

17. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Eisenson says he gets 3.5 miles on a full charge on level ground.

However a full charge is not all that easy to attain, as the car likes to keep the SOC around its mid-range. I usually have between 4 and 6 bars of SOC. (There are 8 bars on the battery SOC icon.) However, the ICE will automatically kick in (i.e., EV mode will disengage) when you hit 2 bars.

I get about 1/4 mile per bar in EV mode, on residential streets with a stop sign every few blocks. That means that my practical range limit in EV mode is one mile, with 1/2 mile being more common.

Perhaps if you manage to get up to 8 bars somehow (not an easy matter!) and get up to 30 mph using the ICE, on a level road with no stops, and then engage EV, you might make it 3.5 miles before the ICE kicks in again. But don't expect to get anywhere near that far if you have stops, and forget it if you don't start with a full charge.

The Prius is not intended to be driven far on EV. EV is for very short, slow trips, or moving the car a short distance without putting the ICE through it's warm-up cycle.

I think Evan will agree with me.

My big hope is that the next major model revision, in 5 or 6 years, will have real EV potential, with a 25 mile range and sufficient power for normal city driving.

18. Scorpio

Scorpio New Member

Well I went to drive my first 04 Prius on Sunday and the quick answer is that 1 mile is about the limit. There is some great space under the rear trunk floor for an extra set of batteries but even filling that looks as though it could only extend the range to 2 or 3 miles at a cost of over $1000 - just not worth it.

I don't think that the current battery technology used on the Prius can ever get to the ideal 25 mile @ 35 mph that we are all (probably) looking for - a bunch of lead acids in the trunk might just do it (joking)

I seem to remember the last time I was in the States that there was a Saturn EV - looked a bit weird parked up at Frys plugged into their free charging station - anyone have any info on that vehicle?

Anyway, I've put my order in for the Prius - Feb delivery for a T4 due to 'unprecedented worldwide demand' according to the dealer - oh and no discount off the MSRP :)

Scorpio

19. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Why would the PSD be more affected by EV operation than by normal operation? Under normal operation it conveys all the power from the ICE to the wheels and to MG1. In EV mode the only difference is that the planet carrier is stationary. Does that prevent the rest of the gears from getting lubricated?

In normal operation, if you had a long gradual downhill at low speed, you could go many miles in electric mode with the ICE off and the planet carrier stationary, just like EV mode.

What don't I understand here?