1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV range compared to Gen4

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by NHCLCR, Sep 7, 2023.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Eco used the Li-ion pack to further cut weight.
    The new LE is equipped in a way to yield the best efficiency, which makes it like the Eco. That may not have been Toyota's intention, but it is a result.

The new LE hybrid mpg rating is close to the old L Eco, which means it is improved over the old LE.

After looking at the gen4 wheel sizes, I see what Toyota has done with the gen5 is make what was once an optional size increase for the XLA and Limited gen4 hybrid the standard equipment. Those larger wheels would decrease efficiency and range, even on the Prime if they were an option. Toyota wasn't required to publish mpg figures for that option, some there is no official figure to point too.

I'm suggesting that thinking of the new LE as the current gen's Eco option could be an easy way of remembering the hybrid and PHEV of that trim has better efficiency and thus range.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it is surprising that no one who traded up has chimed in. maybe they haven't got their cars yet.

3. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    One point in the 17" efficiency favour is how high they've set the recommended tyre pressure, compared to the 19".

Looking at inflation charts, the 19" recommended pressure (35/33) is good for 540kg/525kg or 1190lb/1157lb given the 88 load rating, which matches the maximum axle loading (1065kg/1030kg).

But the 17" recommended pressure (36/35) is good for 600kg/580kg or 1323lb/1279lb given the 90 load rating. That seems rather excessive. Indeed, 36psi is what achieves the maximum load on standard-load tyres. I'm not sure they could set a higher recommendation without specifying XL ones.

And tests are done at the recommended pressure. And we all know how much a couple of psi help efficiency.

Trollbait likes this.
  4. Numtini

Numtini Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Don't have a Gen 4, but my 2023 gets 4.9miles/kwh in town driving. And as said, it drops significantly if you start to go over 60.

5. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I believe the old Eco model had no spare, thus saving weight, whereas the non Eco did have a spare.

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Well, now no trim has a spare in North America.

There was a L of the gen4, and most Toyotas. Usually only available to fleet customers, but the Prius L was released to retail to have alower price than the Ioniq. Don't know about the spare, but it didn't have a rear wiper like the L Eco. It did use the NiMH battery.