1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV range declined slightly

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by kong_konger, May 10, 2012.

1. kong_konger

kong_konger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I got the EV range 13.3 miles after full charge (110V) at the first 3 weeks.
    From this Tuesday ( it was quite warm here), I noticed that the EV range 13.1 miles after full charge (110V). Wednesday and today was same: 13.1 miles.

It seems the battery lifetime might be shorter than I expect.

Any comments?

2. stacey

stacey ☆☆☆☆☆

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That has nothing to do with the life of the battery. It adjusts for what the car 'thinks' you will get from a charge due to past driving.

4. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Somebody who floors it and consistently drives EV at its highest speed or uphill, and makes jackrabbit starts/stops will get maybe 1/2 the EV range of someone who accelerates slowly and drives at low speed. Same is true of gas mileage. So it's no surprise that the system will adjust based on your driving habits. Mine has never reported over 11.3 miles when full, no matter what I do.

5. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    In the past few days, my night recharge is rendering about 9.7 miles range by the display. My daily commute haven't change at all since the past months.....

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Started at 13.1 miles.

Went down to 11.2 from my trip up north with lots of highway driving and little opportunity to plug.

Back up to 12.8 from being able to recharg at work and not having taken a long trip recently.

7. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I would bet that your estimated EV range going up has more to do with the improvements in efficiency that you have recently gained (EV button use, using EV mode more efficiently). The warmer weather here (in Minnesota) has also probably played a role.

I don't quite see how charging more often increases the EV distance estimation (unless the battery 'likes' to be charged/discharged regularily). If you use your EV at high speeds because of the long trip, then it makes sense for the EV range to go down. (going fast on long trips 'wastes it'). I don't think that it's due to not charging.

Mine been going up lately, too. I am now at an estimated 14.8 miles EV range. I will go 300 miles this weekend with only two charges. I'm curious to see what that does to my estimated EV range.

8. mikenewmediary

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My range went up 1.5 miles after 2 trips to cape cod, which was the longest trip since having the car. (75 min each way)

I did a lot of "stacking" (Thanks Paradox) when going down the bridge, and over various steep declines which are around the canal area.

I figured I stacked at least 5 miles round trip.

I am wondering if stacking, w/out running out of EV has something to do with it? I normally time my return home with .1 EV, and rarely get to use stealth with the "small battery"

Paradox likes this.
  9. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Oh... I want a short cut to the thread of Paradox's "Stacking" technik...

10. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I definitely think your 'stacking' increased your EV range. You essentially 'bought' EV miles from your ICE.

In the end, in some situations (but certainly not in general), I can see it saving gas (higher mpg) but your EV / HV ratio will be biased.

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    track your usage DAILY and i dont mean writing down the estimated EV range. drive it first then record the results.

after a month, compute your average and then make any range degradation judgments.

you will find that the stats will fluctuate but within a predictable range. keep in mind, the weather the day will change your stats even if its a repeatable route like work

12. moviebizman

moviebizman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Mine too ! Exactly 9.7 Last month all month was always 10.0 or 10.1 and never changed until this past week. And my commute hasn't changed either.

And I tested it on the way to work this morning and I got exactly 9.7. (Trying very hard to get more coasting whenever possible, but it did exactly 9.7 to the "T"!

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mine has gone down about 1.5 miles in the last few weeks. temps in the high 50's low 60's, headlamps on coming home from work.

14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    guessing (since I dont know) that if using climate controls that will lower the EV range as well. this is something that really affects EVs like my LEAF. besides the lower temperatures reducing the pack's ability to store a charge, the climate controls use a HUGE amount of power. But... there are ways to address that. now for PiP'ers this might be extreme but if you are relying on nothing but the battery...

DaveinOlyWA: Battling Winter Range Degradation

15. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Your doing much better than most of us with 13.1

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we don't have electric heat dave, but we do have electric seats. if we need more heat, it's either run the ice or buy your jacket!:p let us know how you like it when you try it out. i used to have heated socks for skiing back in the day. took two D batteries. heavy and expensive!

17. benalexe

benalexe Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am frustrated too.. Mine is at 10.0 miles. I have tried to drive extremely slow where people behind,me were getting mad, I have the hvac off. Only the radio on. I am also accelerating slowly. So... I wonder of it is even worth it to plug in.

18. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Benalexe, have you tried resetting trip odometer B to see how many miles you actually get on a full recharge? I bet it's closer to 14 or 15. If you run the AC, don't plan on getting 15 miles of EV. If you floor it when the light turns green, don't plan on getting 15 miles of EV.

Also, fill your tires to max sidewall pressure. All the standards you would follow for hypermiling on a regular prius.. follow them on this car and you will get 15 or 16 miles of EV easy.

19. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There's a frustration pattern emerging. They all seem to disregard MPG. Why would you make the "worth it" comment without any reference to efficiency results?

The point of a plug-in hybrid is to significantly improve efficiency. Even with the engine running, that's what you get.

In other words, we're back the same old advice all Prius owners are given: Just Drive It

lensovet and priuskitty like this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    so how many ev miles can you drive on a full charge?