1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV range decrease?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by John roden, Nov 18, 2021.

1. John roden

John roden Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    2021 with 8,000 miles. I am not the primary driver of this car and was surprised this morning to find the fully charged car displayed a total EV range of 21.5 MI. Every time I have driven it in the past the EV range has been 28 to 30. It was 45° this morning and the cabin temperature was set at 70 with the system in eco mode and one seat heater on low.

Any insights on this?

2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That’s why folks around here sometimes refer to the estimate as the GoM (Guess-o-Meter). As the outside temps drop so does your mileage.

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It is normal to get a shorter EV range as the weather gets cold. If it has been cold in the last week or so, and you (or someone) have been driving the car with the heat on, then you will see a decrease in EV range both in real and on GOM. For your reference, in my climate in Northern New England, I get a peak EV range of ~35 miles during summer, but the lowest EV range during the coldest winter day would be ~18 miles.

#3 Salamander_King, Nov 18, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    schja01 likes this.
  4. John roden

John roden Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thank you I figured that was what was going on

Salamander_King likes this.
  5. MalachyNG

MalachyNG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Hah yeah my wife cranks the heat and hammers it up hills. The meter will say 18 miles at the start and then she's still running through it all by 16 miles. I told her to give EV auto a try and she managed worse mpg in that. I cant imagine my range meter will recover until spring or summer. Winter is coming.

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That display is also just a prediction of range based on past efficiency average. A low number could just be because the previous driver raced around in it.