1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV range estimate

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Jerry Liebler, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Jerry Liebler

Jerry Liebler Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Last summer my EV range estimate stayed between 13.2 and 13.6. This morning It showed 16.8! I'm sure I know why, here is the story. Yesterday I made a 140 mile round trip from my home to Lexington Ky. I left with a full charge and a range estimate of 14.1 miles and didn't charge on the trip. I drove on secondary roads with 55 speed limits and lots of hills. About 12 miles were in Lexington's city traffic with lower speed limits. I reset trip b at the beginning of the trip. At the end it showed 71MPG and 42 MPH and my EV range was 0.1mile. I used cruise outside of city traffic. While on 55 posted roads I allowed my speed to build to 62 and fall no lower than 45 except on one big uphill where I dropped to 35.
    I watched the HSI and would "tap" down or up to try to hold the HSI in the 1/4" right of the mid-bar. When my speed reached 60 I would switch to EV mode then return to HV when speed fell below 55 on the next upgrade. After returning to HV mode I'd try to "pace" additional "tap downs" to crest the next hill at 45 MPH. The high speed glides in EV mode are what changed the EV estimate. Considering that my PIP overstates fuel economy by about 5% and that 10% of my miles were actually due to battery usage, it's still impressive to get 61 MPG ,on gas alone, in real driving.

2. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Going back to your usual commute (or trips) I am afraid you will find those 16.8 to be "short miles" i.e. disappearing from the display more quickly than usual...

3. Jerry Liebler

Jerry Liebler Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, the range estimate is NOW biased by the EV mode glides. I still have the same battery which gives about 13 miles of pure EV.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pretty cool that you tricked the system though.(y)

5. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've driven in hills or mountains and done some coasting back down in EV and gotten really high EV estimates, that just fade away in the days after. For example, 12.5 miles and a full charge I drive in EV about 10 miles, switch to HV and drive 10-20 miles mostly up hill, drive around a bit, switch to EV and drive back downhill collecting 8 or 10 miles. Return ~10 miles on level ground back home. One charge, 20+ miles in EV, ~20 miles in HV. On the next charge my EV estimate goes up by several miles. 10-20 charges later it is right back where it started.

Conclusion, the EV estimation algorithm uses some kind of moving average using at least the last ~20 charges.

Note: I did about the same thing but was driving in the Sierra mountains. I got well over 100 miles in EV from one charge. At some point I noticed the kwh reset itself, somehow knowing these were EV miles that didn't start from a wall charge.

Mike

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yesterday was 58 degrees, i dropped from 15.1 to 14.8 today. no driving influenced the estimate.

7. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    You do realize those 20+ EV miles do not come free...you pay in MPGs at the HV portion of the trip.

8. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Of course. I was commenting on the methodology of the estimated EV range. Small bumps up in the EV range driven, even when the miles were gained due to HV uphill are counted. Large EV distances, however, are not fully counted and the kw-hrs gained from large regen amounts are fully removed.

Mike