1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV range increasing winter - summer

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by jb in NE, May 30, 2019.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm with @Salamander_King , I believe it's the ratio of A/C load in EV mode (so it doesn't count in HV mode).

Somewhat related: I did a small road trip over the weekend and got 5.x kWh/100km that;s 11-12 miles/kWh lol. How? because I was in HV mode and when I hit slow moving traffic through the construction zone, I switched to EV mode and just cruised at a steady pace (or stopped). When traffic started moving, I switched back to HV mode. This meant that the kWh/100km on the Eco Diary was only recording the steady state consumption and didn't include any acceleration (which would hurt those figures).

I assume the same applies to the A/C Load Ratio value.

Mark57 and Salamander_King like this.
  2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Using the same trick but to the extreme, I was able to record 99.9 miles/kWh on one day. This is the upper limit for the miles/kWh display, so the actual number might have been even higher. LOL

IMG_20190518_111744.jpg

3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Agree! It really shows when you start out in EV on a really hot day and switch to HV after a couple miles like I did the other day. Had I been able to stay in EV after the cabin cooled and I hit the highway, the percentage would have been much lower.

You can say almost anything with statistics. :D I did something similar once when it was new to me and I was experimenting.

Mark57 and Tideland Prius like this.
  4. noonm

noonm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I got five good months of data showing the efficiency increase from winter to summer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm not as efficient as other drivers on this forum, but I'm definitely getting another 1 mi/kWh in the summer.

benagi likes this.