1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured EV savings calculator

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Can anyone recommend a good online calculator (or shared spreadsheet etc) for working out the potential savings or payback period of an electric car?

I've seached the web and I have found several calculators, but they all seem woefully inadequate. So far none are accounting for registration & insurance costs, which are turning out to be substantial for some EVs in some states & provinces.

Thanks!

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    i'd tap Bob Wilson for info. He's been drafting stats like that since the early 2000's.

3. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Many of those stats will vary highly depending on your specific circumstances.
    For example, in my area, some EVs are cheaper to insure than their ICE counterparts. Other EVs are as expensive, or even more costly to insure depending upon the insurance agency and how up to date their data is on each car make.

In short, most of the online calculators probably consider insurance and registration costs a wash. But depending upon your local, registration may cost more.

The deal you can get on the car also plays a big role. For example, last year the Leaf has a $10,000 rebate on it for quite a few months. But if you were buying a different EV, that didn't apply.

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, I'm trying to figure out who actually has useful, accurate data. I figure I'm going to be in an electric car at some point in my driving career, and I think it's worth figuring out if it'll be the next car, or the one after.

The next car we are scheduled to replace is an old hatchback that costs us about $900/year all-up. Fuel, insurance, registration, inspection, maintenance, repairs. I can buy another one like it for about $16k brand new. The only difference to operating cost would be higher insurance for the higher valuation, so that might go up to $1200/year all-up operating cost.

I'm not expecting to save money with an EV. That's okay, I don't mind chipping in for some eco benefits for us all. But I'm not looking to go broke either. If I spot an EV opportunity that's not much more expensive than what I'm doing now, I'll go for it.

As it is I'm going to have to build in about $400/year budget for renting gas cars for long range roadtrips.

markabele likes this.
  5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your best bet is to make your own spreadsheet. You can start with a template that can be found online.
    This Reddit site has a potential Excel spreadsheet you can download and amend to suit your needs.

The math involved is straight forward provided you have adequate data on the cost for each vehicle you are trying to compare. Should work for either EV or gasser. In my case no matter how I estimate, a BEV (even including a used or leased) at this time will cost 100% to 300% more than equivalent hybrid or PHEV. Considering the inconvenience I have to face with the lack of infrastructure for charging on roads around where I live and the time it takes to charge, it is still not time for me to go fully BEV.

6. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Have you included "externalities" of ICE emissions, petroleum drilling, military, etc.
    Simplest to just add $10,000 to $25,000 or more per car to get to whatever EV price you want to buy.
    :)

Mike

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    For calculators, I would probably start with Edmunds:
    Auto Calculators

My current interest is maximizing performance of our Tesla Model 3 and BMW-i3 REx.

Bob Wilson

8. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you know your electricity cost per kWh and know the kWh/mile of the EV, there's your cost per mile for the new car.
    If you know you gas price and and mpg, there's your cost per mile for old car once you add in the oil change/s.
    Multiply both by miles per year and find the difference.

There are other factors like unexpected repairs, but those ... errr ... unexpected and therefore unpredictable. Plus they don't kick in till after the warranty.

9. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It's not a static calculation to begin with. Price of battery used, how many miles the pack will preform at it's AMP/Volt/Watt rating and charge time. How those numbers change for hot and cold areas per type of Pack - battery / cooling / heating. How much the driver pushes the limits of the BMS (battery maintenance system). ie: what kind of traffic the car is driven in daily and how well the cars systems fit that daily driving scenario.

Than where is the calculator supposed to get all the data from? There's plenty of ICE data to use and generalize across the temp range, mpg as there's not that much of a difference with those anyway, but it gets more complex as repairs are added and the count of lemons off any specific assembly line.

Electric motor trains have a ways to go before there's enough data to make accurate predictions across the temp range and longevity of mpge per battery type used, with a fairly large difference in those numbers over the cold / hot temp range per type.or battery and thermals used with the pack.

Than there is A/C and cabin heat and how good those are at reducing load on the pack and the comfort level in the cabin.

Don't forget about the way the driver uses the car. It's a big variable even with ICE cars and it's an even bigger variable with hybrid and electrics with both charging difference and how much stress the pack gets while driving through each pack discharge cycle.

#9 vvillovv, Dec 26, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  10. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Right, that's the easy part. Every calculator seems to have this.

No, but not because I don't want to include them. That data appears to be even less available than what I originally asked about.

What I was hoping to find was something that would at least attempt to take a deeper account of it. Somebody knows the difference between insuring a Leaf and a Legacy. Somebody knows the military cost of securing a cobalt mine vs. a middle eastern oil well vs. a gas platform in Louisiana.

I realize that nobody's going to be able to accurately present every last bit on a convenient, easy-to-use website to help inform shoppers even if they wanted to. But I feel like the current efforts are falling well short.

I'll admit that's an unwelcome answer but then nobody likes to discover they've been priced out of anything. On the other hand, I recognize the expediency of the simple approach and I honestly appreciate your experience distilled into that reply.

Link not working, I'm only getting a stuck preview that says "Loading Reddit submission..."

3PriusMike and jerrymildred like this.
  11. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    This varies from company to company as well as zip code to zip code. I know people that have found it cheaper to insure a Leaf, and more expensive to insure a Leaf.

You may find better information from an EV group in your local area? They could give you better information for your specific case.
    As a data point, our Volt cost us $10 less per month to insure than our Gen II Prius with State Farm in Minnesota.

As for battery prices, no one can tell you what the prices will be in 8 years (when the warrantee runs out).
    I believe currently the Leaf batteries for their 150 mile model is $8,000 installed at a dealer. In 8 years I would take a guess that will be $3k, but who knows?
    Tesla battery packs, it was rumored, in 2013 cost $35k. Last year, I heard a Model 3 pack (310 miles) was $14,500. But again, those are under warrantee for eight years, so it doesn't matter the cost today.
    The best source for that kind of information may be to find one of the guys rebuilding Teslas or other BEVs and inquirer with them.

12. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Competing against a $16k new car cost is not the hybrid's strength. Electric cars are years away from competing over a reasonable term of ownership calculation. You may find a heavily discounted or used one of either but they are liable to be less desirable models.

When last I did the calculation, I made the then reasonable calculation that gas would cost $3.50 a gallon over the 8 year keep-it-for-me life of the car. At $1 per gallon cheaper the decision I made made no economic sense.

13. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Humm, I can see the link OK. But try this. this is just the excel form link.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think the major cost difference is what is available for purchase. if you can get a much better deal on one of the choices, it will probably overweight all the other variables over the life of ownership

15. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I know this firsthand. We got our Prius c as a replacement for another cheap car. We'd been shopping the $17-19k Fits and Accents and decided to stretch up to the $22k c. It's never going to recoup that price gap, but we like it enough all the same.

Fortunately for me, I've mostly stopped buying into the BS of the car world. I don't need desirable models. I don't need a long feature list. I used to go for fancier cars with much higher performance, but they don't move the needle for me anymore. I'm hungry for cars that exclude fluff and I am dismayed that next-generation fluff is mindlessly being applied to EVs. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

I did mention that I'm exploring this in the context of long term planning. I'm in my 40s. I fully expect that my driving career will end not by old age and not by automation but rather by being priced out of private car ownership altogether. The externalities you mentioned (and others) are going to break onto the balance sheet eventually.

There's public transportation near me, and there's likely to be a lot more of it by the time I get priced out. I earn well more than the local average, so it'll hit me later than many of my neighbors.

Between now and then, I'm guessing I'll probably own 2-3 more cars. I'm taking it on faith that eventually the electrics will get cheaper, and maybe even dip into my affordability range. Probably not for the next replacement, but maybe the one after. This thread, and my search for calculation tools is an effort to shore up this prediction with some harder numbers.

The local gas-n-grocery will let us knock up to $1 off of the current price for up to 20 gallons per month. We use about 16 gallons per month in our remaining gas car so the net fuel unit cost for that car is about $1.85/gal lately. My wife uses the Prius for a long-distance commute so a lot of its fuel is purchased away from home, discount can't apply.

Naturally that discount only makes it harder for any electric car to bring us savings. I'm willing to sacrifice some of that for the common good but I need more precise navigation before I commit.

#15 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Dec 26, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  16. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I’d say cobalt mine security is a no-go. 63% is mined in DR Congo but that country is supported 100% by the Chinese and Chinese companies are directly responsible for its security. A single Chinese company is the major miner and refiner of almost all cobalt produced. So even if 43% of cobalt is used by batteries, 80% of all batteries are for mobile devices, not EV Batteries. So roughly 5.5% of all cobalt used for EV batteries is produced in the DR Congo. I’d probably go on to say all of that is used by Chinese companies making EV batteries.

The rest of the major producers are Australia and Canada, not exactly hot beds of terrorism, exploitation or conflict assets.

According to the 2018 AFRICOM posture statement to congress we have 0 assets in the central part of Africa. Most of our focus is on Somalia, Libya, Niger and Chad and the closest base is in Spain. France has more assets in Africa than we do.

So we only have administrative assets like every country, such as the State Department.

Now for the Middle East, yikes do we have a lot of assets.

iPad ? Pro

17. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

I'm not sure I understand your use of the term "no-go." My friends in finance have assured me that everything has a cost, everything can be accounted for. So when that Chinese company sells some cobalt to anyone else, part of the payment is somehow covering those security costs. I don't expect there would be visibility of all of those details in the kind of calculator tool I'm looking for, but even some rough numbers for comparison's sake would be an improvement over what I'm finding lately.

18. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Tough to beat a used Leaf for TCO. Obviously have to take into consideration your driving habits, such as a Leaf not able to do roadtrips. But for an around town car they are great!

19. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The best way to go for EV savings, go used. That's what I did. I found that even with my limited range Spark EV, I use it most of the time now and a benefit of that was my electric bill went down. (y)

20. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Diluted by the non-EV still in inventory.

Bob Wilson