1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV - strange (?) behavior

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by joachimz, Mar 6, 2012.

1. joachimz

joachimz Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've had my 2012 2 now for 5 weeks, have ~ 2.6k miles on it and averaging 51.5 per fuelly. Had an 09 Camry Hybrid before so I am familiar with most mpg techniques.
    I was under the impression from this forum, that when looking at the HSI screen, when the bar is on the right hand side of the middle line, ICE will run and push the car, maybe with the help of the electric motor.
    On a familiar route, I make a right turn at a light, it goes downhill from there and I usually accelerate lightly. speed limit is 40 and about a half mile down I need to make another right to get to the house, so I usually accelerate just so it goes to ~ middle of the right side bar (on the HSI) and then when going ~ 30 I take the foot of the gas and just "glide" down the hill, picking up some speed but not too much so I don't need to brake hard for the upcoming turn - sorry for the long intro.

Question: Today, I follow the same pattern, and to my surprise, the EV indicator is ON when the bar is in the middle of the right hand portion of the screen, which should indicate ICE is on. I drove for a couple hundred feet or so and bar is to the right, EV light is on ... I then took foot of gas to just let it roll, EV is on, and stayed on for rest of trip (which is flat through 25mph zone to my house).
    I have never seen this happening before - is that possible?

I've read the reports from the PiP owners that they can accelerate in EV beyond the middle line ...

2. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's normal if engine if fully hot and you pressed EV..
    I don't do it to save wear and tear on batteries and use ICE for hard acceleration (it happens automatically with EV off).

3. joachimz

joachimz Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks, engine was hot but I did not press EV. I was in ECO mode though.

4. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    that means you pressed that on. there is no other way.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While this is generally true, it is not always true. Outside EV mode, with the traction battery at 7 or 8 bars and possibly some other conditions just right, the HSI bar can go a little ways right of the middle without firing the ICE.

Inside EV mode, it can push the HSI bar farther to the right, and can do so (I believe) all the way down to 3 battery bars. Try this by intentionally selecting EV mode and playing with it. (An engine monitor such as ScanGauge helps show what is really happening.) At 2 bars, the ICE fires up even with the HSI bar on the left.
    I must agree with friendly_jacek, this indicates that the EV button was pressed, intentionally or otherwise. If you are sure you did not press it, then watch closely for repeat incidents. Until it starts repeating, the shop probably won't believe you, and definitely will not be able to track it down to any specific problem.