1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV switch right application

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by maggieddd, Jan 15, 2006.

1. jimgraffam

jimgraffam New Member

Ok... Let me revise my 2 reasons to 3... ;)
    (3) Lazy... I'll feather for the rest of my commute when I can so if I stay EV I won't have to.

2. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

but can't you switch to EV mode when you reach the bottom of the hill?

3. jimgraffam

jimgraffam New Member

Ah. I enter EV mode as soon as I start up the Prius. If I didn't, the ICE would come on and I would not be able to enter EV until the proper state was attained.

So... I'm in EV out the garage, up the street, back up to the top of the hill, down the hill, and down that last street before having the ICE on.

4. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

ohh I see, so it is not possible to just switch to EV mode whenever you feel like it

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yes it is. Just not when the engine is in its warm-up phase. You can engage before the engine comes on to warm up or wait til it's done.

6. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

I see

7. jimgraffam

jimgraffam New Member

Yes. Two other pre-conditions... Speed is below 34 mph and SOC is 3 or higher.

BTW -- it will disengage when the stalk is pulled again, when you hit 34 mph, when you get to SOC 2, or if you are too demanding on wheel power.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i.e. accelerator pedal angle

9. jwe8f

jwe8f New Member

On the differences between the standard EV switch and the one using the cruise control stalk from Coastal, the Coastal one takes something like 3 seconds to engage, and is reasonably impossible to engage while turning a corner. This is because the cruise control stalk rotates with the steering wheel, and is hard to keep held until the 3 seconds are up. It also takes 3 seconds to manually disengage. The only time this bothers me is when I am already on the battery screen, and don't get the usual beep telling me EV mode has been engaged. Did I hold it long enough yet?

All that said, I opted for the Coastal version because it was an elegant solution, and did not mar my dash with a button I theoretically shouldn't have... It is also quicker to find while driving without looking.

Another note on both versions, if you try to engage it when you shouldn't, you'll get 3 beeps.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2 secs actually :p

11. jwe8f

jwe8f New Member

Heh-heh, I knew this was the wrong site to say 3 when I wrote it. :p

Two is what the paperwork says, but I think they use an RC circuit to accomplish the timing, and the tolerance of the C varies enough to make the timing vary greatly from installation to installation.

I can usually slowly count to 4 before it engages...

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    oh... I counted two that's why.

13. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If you engage EV before the engine has warmed up, the ICE will not operate. But doesn't it warm up through its operatation. So what I'm asking is, if you engage the EV before the engine warms up does the engine actually warm up?

14. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

I was wondering the same thing. Similarly, does the engine warm up when you are just going down the hill with regenerative breaking on? No ICE running.

15. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    ??? If the engine isn't started, it isn't warming up. And you won't get any cabin heat either (except maybe a dribble from the PTC heaters). Some heat will be generated by the inverter/converter and motor, but not much, and it's on a separate coolant circuit from the engine.

16. priusblue

priusblue New Member

Sooo - I ordered the EV mod from the coastal website, and now I'm finding all the topics about how bad the customer service is from these guys. Just curious - anybody have an idea how long I can expect to wait for this? :unsure: (Not complaining, just curious.) Didn't have to wait as long as I thought I would for the car, so we'll see how this goes!

17. jimgraffam

jimgraffam New Member

If I recall correctly, I didn't wait long at all... two weeks... maybe less. No complaints.

18. priusblue

priusblue New Member

Great! Was this recently?

19. jimgraffam

jimgraffam New Member

Pretty recently... I ordered it sometime in mid-November. Arrived early December if I recall correctly.

I got an email notification that it had been shipped too... confirmation number and all.

20. sseres

sseres New Member

I don't have my EV mod yet...

I've noticed that it doesn't take much "accelerator angle" before ICE kicks in after a complete stop (speaking specifically of the time after the car is all warmed up and it's running in normal 'ICE off at a stop' mode)

So, I'm wondering, when you talk about EV disengaging if you are too demanding, is it possible to get a feel for what "too demanding" is? Is it the same amount of too demanding that makes my ICE come on in this example, or do you have a little more push available in EV?

Thanks!