1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV to ICE on highway

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by PA Prius, Sep 29, 2017.

1. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Has anyone else wondered whether this effects the life of the engine-- running on EV and then switching to ICE at highway speeds. I know it is not necessary to "warm up" an ICE as they used to say, but going instantly from off to higher load-bearing revs, especially in cold weather...?

PA P

2. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You raised a good question, and I hope you get some good answers for it. One thing that would make a difference is how much load, if any, the EV motors continue to share once ICE is activated on the highway. For that matter, maybe (I said maybe) it would be a good idea to let the ICE warm up by hitting the hybrid button or “bumping” the accelerator while you still have some EV reserve. What town are you in? We might be neighbors.

PA Prius likes this.
  3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The question was raised years ago and settled years ago. Watch some of my videos with lots of data, for example...

Warm-Up happens even when merging onto a highway with the engine still cold. Watching the RPM of the engine easily confirms how the system automatically protects the moving parts from excessive wear.

My commute had a cold-engine merge. 5.5 years later at 92,000 miles the car was still running like new.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i never do this, always plan my cold ice starts. (except when it comes on unknowably every 124 miles in the pip :mad:)

PA Prius likes this.
  5. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks all. I will keep this in mind, esp. in winter. It just hadn't crossed my mind before. Btw Pluggo, I am in Akron.

Pluggo likes this.
  6. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks, I am still looking for the other PIP owner that lives a mile from me. Watch out for all those Amish buggies.

bisco likes this.
  7. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I get my best mileage drafting buggies!

8. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    ROTF-LOL so true!

PA Prius likes this.
  9. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just don't get too close to their exhaust;).

10. SlidingBike

SlidingBike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am sure this could be very old posting reply but just wondering how to collect that much of enormous data and present in a nice way(as you had shown in the video above)? I got a obd2 plug with torque app but cant find a real sense of its data. any good apps? BTW, I have visited your website before this posting. Did I miss anything?

11. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It is quite a chore. I import the spreadsheet 1-second captures of data into a document (from Excel to Word) using a mail-merge. That formats each as a video frame and puts it onto its own individual page. Then I save all that into a single PDF file. Using it as input, I create a folder of images by exporting each page. Finally, I import each of those image files into a presentation (PowerPoint) to establish what will become a rendered video for output setting the timing of each frame with a 1-second duration.

As much as that work was, it was totally worth it. Having that level of detail to analyze later, in context of actual driving circumstances, is quite informative.

12. SlidingBike

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the quick and detailed labor behind that amazing data collection. My first question is what device and app could give you a way to get the data out of the PIP? OBD2 plug with a particular app or any other device? Thanks

bluemanalbert likes this.
  13. bluemanalbert

bluemanalbert Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I use the Android app, Hybrid Assistant with my PiP. It reads out enough information for my liking. It hooks up to an OBD2 dongle that I have. The speed is a little off on mine, but everything else is pretty much where it's supposed to be. I wanted to see how much draw I was using on the battery while in town to maintain a constant speed and this app helped.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

SlidingBike and QuantumFireball like this.
  14. SlidingBike

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Exactly this is what the information that I am looking for. I dont have an android device, will get a reasonable android phone and capture this data with the app. Many thanks.

15. SlidingBike

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am able to successfully use the Hybrid Assistant and Hybrid reporter apps on my B&N Nook (android tablet) using my OBD2 wifi device).
    Its pulling very impressive reports. Thank you @bluemanalbert . I would suggest Pre 3 PHEV users try these apps.