1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV trailer range extender

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by efusco, Sep 23, 2011.

1. dhchiang

dhchiang New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Range-Extending trailers for EV's

this is ingenious. it solves a lot of problems. If it could be attached like the fast-tanks on fighter planes that somewhat blend into the bodies of the plane, that would be even better, while solving the issue of the occasional long range trip. this could even be rentable so that people don't need to plunk down all the cash for the huge batteries. it would give a reason for manufacturers to tout towing capability too!

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Is this a joke?

You buy an electric car and then buy a trailer with a petrol generator to extend your range. Either buy a Volt or buy a traditional petrol car. This article is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I bet they never sell more than 12, ever.

1 person likes this.
  3. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I think this would be humiliating.

Anybody on the fence about EV seeing one towing around a generator will immediately get off the fence, and not on the EV side. This is lipsticking a pig.

4. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

This has to be some sort of a joke...

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Why would that be a joke? I think it's an elegant solution for those who want an EV, but also want the ability to take that EV on longer trips from time to time without having to worry about long waits to recharge.

I didn't read the entire linked article, but the one similar to this I saw was actually self-propelled--thus inducing essentially no drag on the car itself, plus added some room for storage/hauling extra stuff. You park the generator in the back yard when you don't needed, then pull it out when you wanna take that occasional long drive.

To suggest it's for a problem that doesn't exist is just being blind to the #1 concern about those considering buying an EV...including myself.

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

The Long Ranger was on the road at the time the EV1 was, and it was less complicated than this. The trailer in the article not only charges the EV, but also propels itself. I believe we could now make a EV range extender that would fit on a hitch haul and for a lot less than $15,000. For that much you get a decent used car that would be more comfortable for long road trips, and still have cash in hand for fuel.

7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

It has some merit. It works on the same principle as people towing a trailer occasionally instead of buying a pick-up or other larger vehicle.

Its value would be in avoiding other expenses. Say you're going somewhere you could use the EV while you're there, but you have the problem of getting it there. Renting a trailer for the journey there (and back if you're not just moving) would be cheaper than renting for the stay and although inefficient, it could still be cheaper and more efficient than renting a vehicle that can dolly tow the EV.

It's more of a rental solution, but would be an expensive one until there are many EVs on the road.

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Absolutely. I think some people would want to buy their own, but it's a great option for renting.

I do think the $15k price tag is a bit high, but if you're paying $60-100k for a nice EV already then maybe it's not out of consideration. Particularly if they added some hookups where it could be used as a backup home generator--thus serving a dual purpose.

9. Insight-I Owner

Insight-I Owner 2006 Insight-I MT + 2011 Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Sorry, I don't see the point for the more typical scenario (barring special cases like moving or going somewhere for a long period of time). An EV would have suited my daily commuting needs. For longer trips I'd have a hybrid (e.g., Prius) or rent one.

If I were still working, had a place to charge it (I own a condo, alas), and didn't already own the Insight-I (which I bought for commuting, to use 1/3 the gas my Subaru consumed), I'd have gotten a Leaf. Leaf would have been perfect for my 34 mile commute (each way, no possibility of charging there).

Putting a trailer on the Leaf? No thanks!!

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

That makes sense if you have a second vehicle. But a lot of people can't afford, store or otherwise justify a second vehicle for a few times per year of travel. If all you had was the Leaf and wanted to drive 300 miles to see grandma and could rent the trailer/charger for the week for a few bucks a day..then why not?

11. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A

Its a $15K self propelled trailer, not just a genset on wheels. It won't get rented much, so its likely more expensive than a rental car, unless someone is subsidizing them. If an ev has a want of a range extending trailer, they need to build them with some towing capability. I'm not sure, but perhaps nissan could test something like the lower cost long ranger to see if a leaf is fine to tow it:D

Need to rent more often, a phev may be a better idea:)

12. Insight-I Owner

Insight-I Owner 2006 Insight-I MT + 2011 Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Lots of people (you for example) have more than one car in the household, and use whichever one is appropriate for the trip at hand (which I'm guessing you do).

The $15K one would spend on one of these trailers would pay for a lot of rentals!!

But I'm sure lots of things will change as EV's gain acceptance and we ease off of an oil-based transportation system.

1 person likes this.
  13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

But how many people that could afford the cost and limitations of Leaf have it as their only vehicle?

For EVs to become more main stream and practical for a larger portion of the population, I agree, a range extender is needed. I think this is to cumbersome though. It can be done for smaller or cheaper. Since it most likely only be used for 500 to 2000 of the EV's annual mileage, lower, relative, efficiency and higher emissions should be acceptable in order to make it smaller and easier to use. Trailers will require more parking space and higher tolls.

14. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Getting the EV to a rally, track competition or show is a problem unless it is your local event. I suspect the preferred method is to have a biodiesel truck pull the EV on a trailer.

The 21st Century Automotive Challenge in State College PA is some 205 miles from home with the only charging station along the way in Philadelphia. This doesn't do me any good as it is too close to home. The only EVs that might be able to make that trip under their own power are Tesla's Roadster and $67400 Model S. So do I want to rent a truck & a trailer or a battery/generator trailer for the weekend? The trailer for the EV seems to be the better option.

A hundred years ago the gasoline powered car was in a similar situation when it needed a horse to pull it through the mud or to the nearest available gas.

15. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

FWIW, folks at mynissanleaf.com have on on-going thread
    about this

180+ posts...

some for, some against...

alternate solutions suggested...

interesting reading.

Power Trailer

16. wwest40

wwest40 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I

Does it occur to no one else that during "off" times the genset could serve as a home power backup...?

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I mentioned it above

18. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  19. wwest40

wwest40 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    More sensible...?

Attached Files:

20. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I don't see a market for it. This is clearly only an occasional use item, otherwise you wouldn't be using the EV at all. And for occasional use, why not rent a car? I don't find it to be a plausible solution to EV range anxiety. Especially at $15k price, wow!