1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV using Prius Transaxle and Inverter

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by jddcircuit, Apr 28, 2011.

1. jddcircuit

jddcircuit New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe someone can help me with my project.

I recently installed a Gen I Prius transaxle and inverter in my volkswagen to build my own battery powered vehicle. I have a prototype controller working and the car is moving. I am now building the battery pack for the speed and range I want.

I have little or no documentation on the Prius inverter signals so I am relying on my interpretation of the what is marked on the circuit board silk screen. So far I have been using trial and error to interface my controller with it.

On the underside of the Gen I inverter there is a dc to dc converter circuit for supplying the 12V for the car accessories. I can't seem to get it to turn on and supply 12 volts. There is a 4 pin connector that I assume is where it receives the signals to turn on and start producing the 12V supply. The silk screen on the circuit board reads S, IGST, NODD, IDH. If anyone has any documentation, experience, or guess to what the signal description is for this connector it would be much appreciated.

Thank you
    Jeff

2. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Not related but I believe the Prius inverters are cooled by coolant normally, have you thought about managing that?

Also...pics!! Very interesting project, other than that sorry I couldn't help, good luck, it sounds awesome.

3. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ORNL and ANL (government research labs) did a lot of studies on the Gen I Prius, including testing its various components. Do a google search for those reports.

Here's a good resource as well: Prius links

Originally the system was called "Toyota Hybrid System" (THS and THS II). If you google that, you will get more relevant info than Hybrid Synergy Drive.

The Gen I v2 (Classic Prius) uses a 273.6 Volt battery. The motor uses the same voltage. You should start with a pack that provides this voltage.

4. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    On the off chance that you aren't aware of them, there are some technical discussion groups in Yahoo groups that should be of use to you.

One is
    Prius_Technical_Stuff : To discuss the unique interface and poss
    I'm sure the people there will tell you where the other groups and sources of information are.

I'm not trying to brush you off, please post pictures and progress reports here too.:cool:

5. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The motor only runs 33 kW so you only need a pack that can provide 120 amps. Fairly reasonable.

Range is up to you.