1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV vs Hybrid Driving

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by dwcerra, May 19, 2012.

1. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    BFD,
    When I thought I might not be able to charge the PIP at work, I had a plan to plug-in at the company next door.
    The only inconvience was the short walk across the parking lot.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A bouncy ride is due to worn shocks. The tire flex is too fast to cause a 'bounce' but higher tire pressure does pass on smaller bumps like speed bumps. However, hitting speed bumps at faster speeds lets the shocks handle a larger fraction of the impulse load and softens the effect. Running the maximum sidewall pressure 52 psi, I find the car is more controllable as the steering is precise and braking is improved.

Let me suggest you do an experiment over a holiday or weekend:
    • pump up the tires to maximum sidewall pressure
    • drive a route that includes deliberate, significant steering, braking, and speed bumps
    • drop pressure 5 psi, repeat route
    This will give you direct feedback on the effects of tire pressure on handling. This is what I did when we first got our Prius.

Bob Wilson

drinnovation likes this.
  3. yukit

yukit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is a trick used by autocross drivers who don't have dedicated tires to swap.

As for EV vs HV driving, I was fascinated for the first 1,000 miles or so, but I just "drive it" nowadays.
    The only optimization I use for my ~20 miles commute each way is to leave about 1.5 mile of EV power left for after exiting the freeway.

If the EV/HV button was implemented as a paddle shifter switch, it may be more interesting. I keep hitting the A/C button by mistake when I reach down there.

bwilson4web likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's the great thing about the shifter mod, gets it out of the way and makes it easier to keep your finger on the button.;)

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Can something be done to improve the tactile feel so it is easier to identify?

Bob Wilson

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i asked homeland security, they recommended duct tape.:p

bwilson4web likes this.
  7. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Admittedly I rarely drive in hybrid mode but today I had to make Two 50 mile round trips into Boston and back.
    I was able to fully charge 3 times but on the return trip back which is net uphill I was all hybrid.
    Was shocked that most of the 5 minute increments showed 70mpg or better, in fact my overall ended up being 65 mpg.

I had thought 53 was the best you could expect. I'll add that I can't stand driving the highway in "Eco" so it was "Power" all the way

8. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    All the "Power" button does is change the feel of the throttle; that is, the power demand vs. throttle travel curve. It doesn't actually effect the "economy" or total power available.

9. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Technically, it does affect it, since ECO mode adjusts HVAC behavior as well, but not sure how big the impact is (or if it's even noticeable).

10. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you notice it a little bit on really hot days. And obviously you notice it during the winter. It works much harder to shut the engine off.

11. markaw

markaw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've owned my 2012 PIP now for about a month, commute daily approximately 55 miles into NYC from Putnam County NY. Yesterday on one overnight charge, with careful but not terribly slow, 20 mile local and 80 mile highway driving I was able to achieve 68 MPG (see attached screen shot). Is this about as good as I'll get? View attachment 54104

12. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It is in my opinion - all the tricks in the world can't budge the MPG much on such a long drive.
    I'd say 60 mpg x 85 of those miles with 15 miles EV = 71 mpg would be about perfect

hope your weekend driving pattern makes the PiP worthwhile for you

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you charge only once a day, that's very good. You can raise your EV ratio by charging it twice. You can't change your commute distance. What matters is the efficiency of each fuel in term of Wh/mi for electricity and MPG for gasoline.

The attachment is not opening. Can you provide a screenshot of your EV Driving Ratio screen?

14. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yup. Even only MPG in the 60's from nothing but nightly charging and long commutes is impressive. Being effortless to achieve that clean & efficient outcome is great. Just drive it.

The competition craves a profitable platform so simple & practical it will draw in the masses. Look at what Ford & Honda are pursuing with their plug-in hybrids.

15. markaw

markaw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    image.jpg

Here you go, thank you for the response.