1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV vs hybrid mode

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by MikeDee, Oct 16, 2020.

1. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I drive in EV mode before getting on the freeway to save a little gas. However, I put the car in hybrid mode when accelerating to get on the freeway and to drive in the freeway. Then, I was thinking am I causing undue wear to the engine by not letting it warm up at low speeds first? Maybe I should just start out in hybrid mode.

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There is a warm-up cycle which automatically protects the engine from that type of stress.

With an aftermarket ODB-II reader and a phone-app, you can actually see the process. Basically, it draws more from the battery that duration (typically around 90 seconds) to keep the RPM of the engine low. This also has the added benefit of keeping emissions lower.

For 5 years with my Prius PHV, I jumped onto the highway (just a few blocks from my house) routinely on the way to work with a cold engine. There are several videos documenting it on my channel (priusguru) on YouTube.

Salamander_King likes this.
  3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think it will hurt the engine by switching EV/HV without first warming up the engine. If it does, Toyota will not allow the operation. What I have observed and others have reported is that when you switch from EV to HV with a cold engine, the traction battery provides most of the power until the engine is ready to take over the job. You notice the traction battery SoC continues to drop shortly after you switch to HV.

That being said, there are many people including me, who starts HV mode prior to the sudden push, if you know when you need to do the switch. But I really think it doesn't matters much.

#3 Salamander_King, Oct 16, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  4. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Agreed. If it helps to put your mind at ease just switch to HV mode manually when you are a few minutes (or whatever you're comfortable with) out from the expressway.

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Just like most things in life, it depends. ;) This is a PHEV driver FAQ.

In addition to what's already by mentioned, it's also how much acceleration you ask for. For example, full throttle will make the ICE rev well beyond "gentle warm up speeds".

When I know the route, I will turn on HV mode at the intersection beforehand. This will give about :15-30 secs warmup before the ramp depending on traffic.

6. W8LV

W8LV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I run my vehicle in the Eco mode for one minute, each and every time before I drive. I do this in spite of being told that one can just drive a car straightaway after starting it.
    While I am TOLD that "modern oil" immediately pumps up, I am convinced that this is desirable because while oil LUBRICATES, I know it also has to SEAL! And cold metal surfaces have expansion coefficients. Imagine those cold "gaps" until they come up to temperature. While the oil might seal somewhat, the metal AND the oil IMO will do so better when they come up to operating temperature. Nor do I see aircraft, locomotives, or any such equipment being run straightaway without a warm up. My cars last for MANY years, I am convinced that this is because of proper maintenance AND prewarming. So I'm going to keep doing that...

All the Best!
    DE W8LV BILL

moto g power ?

7. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think that the observation is when you switch to HV mode with a cold engine, usually the engine will be run at low RPM in its warmup cycle, and the traction battery will be drawn down below its usual state of charge to move the car electrically. Once the engine is warmed up, the "borrowed" energy will be paid back by the engine to get the state of charge back up to its nominal level. But if you floor it, then engine will be used, even if cold.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, i wouldn't switch at an uphill on ramp to an 80mph freeway everyday, that's for darn sure:eek:

Henrik Helmers likes this.
  9. AldoON

AldoON Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    What I find works best is staying in EV until I'm at cruising speed on the highway, then I switch to HV mode. The car then does it's thing and gently warms up the engine.

If you pay attention to the battery, you see it continues to be used for a bit until the car warms up. Then the car brings the battery back to approximately the SOC you had when your hit the EV/HV button.

10. Prim.e.xample

Prim.e.xample Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    This sounds like MikeDee is doing exactly what Toyota engineers want him to do and is what EV Auto is perfect for - EV until you hit a point in acceleration and then the HV kicks in. But after reading the manual I'm not so sure. Their best cases for EV Auto and HV modes are as follows:

EV Auto
    Switching to EV auto mode make powerful driving possible by using both the gasoline engine and electric motor in a driving condition that requires large driving force, such as when passing a vehicle on a highway or driving on a steep slope.

HV
    Switching to HV mode when driving on a highway or when driving uphill is recommended in order to conserve battery power.

They both seem like they could make a case for hitting an onramp before going into HV for the highway portion of the trip. If you are only a minute or so from the highway then I would jus start in HV personally. But if you have a five to ten minute plus time then I wouldn't hesitate in using EV until you get there.

11. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There are a number of lights before I get on the freeway. It bugs me to hear the engine running when I'm sitting at a light. Most times, EV mode is OK for merging onto a freeway, but occasionally there's not enough power if the freeway is crowded and moving fast. I'll probably just switch to HV mode when I'm up to speed on the freeway.

AldoON likes this.
  12. AldoON

AldoON Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    A couple of assumptions to state:
    1) you didn't have enough EV range to get to your destination.

2) engine is cold and you are driving in the city before getting on the highway.

If you have enough EV range you should use it and not go into HV mode. Car drives quite nicely on the highway in EV only. Why waste gas and put the engine through a warm-up cycle.

If you are driving on country roads it may be better to go into HV a few minutes before getting on the highway. The key thing to avoid is warming up the car in the city where there are lights, stop and go traffic etc.

Tideland Prius likes this.