1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV world article

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by electricity_guzzler, May 30, 2006.

1. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Umm, I do the vast majority of my highway driving between Bowling Green-Findlay (25 miles) or Bowling Green-Toledo (15 Miles) and I drive up and down I-75 around 62-63 MPH and average 55-60 MPG, I find that I tend to get poorer mileage in the city (averaging about 45 MPG city and 55 HWY... the town I live in is very compact with constant starts and stops at nearly every intersection... (city of 30,000 with a 20,000 student university)... The constant acceleration... stop... accelerate... stop.. runs down my mileage but the freeway drives the mileage back up... although coming off the freeway I can go nearly all the way from I-75 to my building (1.8 miles) on battery power if I time it right or accelerate very gently...

If you lookup a google or yahoo map of Bowling Green, Ohio you 'll see what I mean about in-town driving...

2. daver969

daver969 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(finally_got_one @ May 30 2006, 01:01 PM) [snapback]262925[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, that's BS, I get better mileage on the hwy, too. It's almost as if they just read the EPA stickers (higher city mpg than hwy) and assumed they were true, and made up a story to go along with it.

3. mkdprius

mkdprius New Member

I too easily get better MPG on the highway than in the city. This has always confused me because of the way the car is engineered and marketed - it should be just the opposite. Either way I am very pleased with the great MPG in both city and highway driving.

4. mkdprius

mkdprius New Member

Tripp -

It's also easy to push 80 MPH in a light rain with the AC on and 3 passengers and still get 50+ MPG.
    The car handles amazingly well (package 6 2005). I don't recommend doing this though. It was just my 2nd time on the highway with the Prius and I didn't realize how quickly and smoothly it gets up to speed.

5. mnkat05

mnkat05 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ May 31 2006, 07:52 PM) [snapback]263755[/snapback]</div>
    Clearly, we all have examples that refute the article. I am not sure if this topic has been mentioned on this forum before, but Kiplingers AND Consumer Reports have also retracted the assertion that the price of a Prius will never pay for itself when compared to a corolla, and included current gas prices and depreciation for both the cars. Thus, don't let the naysayers get you down!! Furthermore, what I find funniest is that most people challenged the economics of my purchase when I first bought my Prius back in July (pre-Katrina-- and have since shut up) what I told them then and what I say now is sometimes people have to pay a price for following principle and driving a socially responsible car. I am sure for most of us that own the cars currently, we didn't really do it for the savings, but because it was the best choice for our environment.

6. ram1901

ram1901 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(electricity_guzzler @ May 30 2006, 02:34 PM) [snapback]262903[/snapback]</div>
    14 fill ups since picking up my '06 on April 30th .. over 3700 miles already .. overall average 49.99 mpg..
    best fill 58.17mpg, worst fill 42.12mpg. On it's worst day it gets better mpg than any production vehicle.
    Wish they had a more comfortable driver's seat and a telescoping steering wheel...but short of that,
    I keep finding excuses to drive this car morning, noon and night.. in short... i love this car.